Firestone vs Bridgestone snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it won't be as good as a fresh Blizzak. Firestone is a 2nd tier brand for Bridgestone. Bridgestone won't make something for Firestone that outperforms their Top Tier Blizzaks

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Of course it won't be as good as a fresh Blizzak. Firestone is a 2nd tier brand for Bridgestone. Bridgestone won't make something for Firestone that outperforms their Top Tier Blizzaks

That is why I said it could be old compound (maybe slightly improved). However, old Bridgestone compound was good while winter part of thread was there. This new compound in ice is not at all as good as old one.

I have Winterforces for my Element. I'd agree that they're pretty loud. The traction is decent, probably on par for the price, which is on the lower end. Still better than all seasons in the winter.

With that said, I'm shopping for snows for the other car and I'm thinking about the Altimax Arctic 12, which appears to be the new version of the Altimax Arctic. General is similarly the lower end line of Continental like Firestone is to Bridgestone, but General Tires seem to perform a little better, making for a really good value.

I have both, Blizzacks and Winterforce. With fresh tires in serious Winter conditions, I'd give the nod to Blizzacks. That said the Firestone is a fine Winter tire. The Firestone seems to wear longer on dry pavement, as mentioned, a bit noisier.

Another factor is the Firestones are usually less costly, which is how I got into a set. Many of us are on dry pavement in between the Winter storms & ice. I'd compare prices against your average, local road conditions.

Either will put you well ahead of any 'all season' options.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I have both, Blizzacks and Winterforce. With fresh tires in serious Winter conditions, I'd give the nod to Blizzacks. That said the Firestone is a fine Winter tire. The Firestone seems to wear longer on dry pavement, as mentioned, a bit noisier.

Another factor is the Firestones are usually less costly, which is how I got into a set. Many of us are on dry pavement in between the Winter storms & ice. I'd compare prices against your average, local road conditions.

Either will put you well ahead of any 'all season' options.

Thing with higher end winter tires is that they are much, much better in dry and wet then lower end which usually do good in snow and maybe ice.
That is where manufacturers put emphasis on lower end tires, snow and ice. Problem is making all around good tire that is really good in all conditions.
So far I only drove few tires that do that, and those are Continentals TS series and Good Year Ultra Grip 6, 7, 8 and 9, none available in North America unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back