Firefox dumped all my stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started up firefox and it said the default user was in use did I want to name another user? Of course when I gave it another name I got the basic firefox with none of the themes, extensions I installed. How do I get my firefox back?

This is so frustrating?

First, Reboot your system, don't open Firefox until later in these directions:

Next, Open My Computer, click on the C: drive, click the Tools Menu > Folder Options > View tab, uncheck "show hidden files and folders" and check "display full path in the address bar"

C:\Documents and Settings\(your login name)\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles, copy the folder(s) in there to some other safe place on your system. I'd create folder on your C: drive called "Temp Firefox backup data" and copy the data above into there. This will create a backup of all Firefox profile data (if it wasn't corrupted).

It's crucial that you backup these folders as mentioned above so any errant changes can be easily fixed.

If there's only one folder in the location specified above, things may have become corrupted. If there's two folders, one is the new one, one is the old one.

If there are two folders in the Profiles folder:
Now RENAME the folders within the Profiles folder, they have odd names. There's only one on my computer, the one on my computer is named "m0rzinah.default". Yours will be different. Now start Firefox. It *should* create a new profile folder.

You can hand peck the settings, such as the bookmarks.html file, by copying in to the new default folder.

These directions can be applied for Mozilla and Netscape as well. The only difference in the brower's Application Data folder name.

Good luck. Generally, this is fixable....

Open Firefox

happened to me last April

Unfortunately, I had to retrieve the bookmarks from Explorer, so they were very old.

Make sure that you export your bookmarks to a place you know regularly, and you'll recover easily.

(since I started backing up my bookmarks, it hasn't lost them again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back