Finally on board with CK-4

I just bought Traveller 15w-40 for $30 / 5 gallons. At that price, and given it meets the WSS-M2C171-F1 spec, it's pretty hard for me to look elsewhere. If a fellow was nervous about it, he could change it more often and still come out ahead.

As for the 5K change interval mentioned, the older PowerStrokes have a shorter OCI due to how hard the high pressure oil system that operates the fuel injectors is on oil, so 5K is factory recommended.

With no disrespect. Why do you claim to know about addpacks and their robustness - or lack thereof. You are making uneducated assumptions. Just because an oil has a 'big slug of Moly or Zinc' doesn't mean its a better performing oil than another addpack that is based on other additives.
It's how well they work as a whole - the proof of that is in studies of their performance as far as cleanliness, anti-wear performance etc.

Best we can tell, that is the purpose add packs are for...Ca, Mg, Ph, Zinc, etc....(detergents, anti-wear, etc...as you say). Some use Titanium as the magic sauce. Who knows? It has been discussed at length here and on other forums. If you have data on engine wear numbers, I would love to take a look at them....specifically for my engine and all of the other diesels out there would be a good start. That would help a lot in making a decision. I took the data that I know is available and has been provided from known tests done on each of the oils and applied that knowledge. Uneducated would mean I just made a wild azz guess...which I didn't. I looked at the data that is available to the layman and made the best "educated" choice I could. I took what very little I know about oil, but have gleaned from this forum and reading around the interwebs, and applied the knowledge. That is what education is, correct? Gaining information and knowledge and then knowing how to apply that knowledge or information? That's how I understand it anyway.

Nowhere did I claim to be a scientist on add packs. I simply took my understanding of what each element accomplishes in the add pack and made a choice. If you want to test lower add packed oils on your engine and post up the data on how it wears each metal in that engine, please do. I know we would all enjoy reading about it.

I took what has been proven thus far, chose the best of what is available to the consumer, and went that route. As much as I would love to have engines on stands and running 24 hours with different oils so I can see how each one wears over hours of usage, I don't. What I do have is a great website with info for the lay consumer to make the best choice that seems right with the information given.

Well said. That Titanium sauce in Kendall is currently being used by AHarmon in his 08 Dodge and has decent numbers after first 9k miles and is pushing it out I believe. Interested in his next sample on it. A Trucker on here Dak27 I believe used it as well and liked it.

I personally don't take oil analysis or formulations seriously unless I have a problem with my motor. You are almost 400,000 miles so be ready to do a rack, top end reseal, and tuneup. That would be my main focus. At that point you will be pulling off the covers and can inspect the wear to mile ratio.

Unless you are using the truck engine outside the parameters for which it was designed, taking these oil additive pack formulas seriously is a not warranted. All oils with either a CJ-4 or FA-4 rating are more than sufficient and will have a better flow ratio. Of course it is entirely up to you what you feel good about. At about 19,000 miles a year you are not putting many miles on that truck to have concern.

Well said. That Titanium sauce in Kendall is currently being used by AHarmon in his 08 Dodge and has decent numbers after first 9k miles and is pushing it out I believe. Interested in his next sample on it. A Trucker on here Dak27 I believe used it as well and liked it.
You’re right. I’ve used P66 Guardol ECT 15W40 and 10W30 in my Detroit Series 60 engine, and I was very happy with it’s performance. I’m currently using Delo 400 XLE, I would happily use it again.

You’re right. I’ve used P66 Guardol ECT 15W40 and 10W30 in my Detroit Series 60 engine, and I was very happy with it’s performance. I’m currently using Delo 400 XLE, I would happily use it again.
Same. The oil is very smooth in my gasser.

Same. The oil is very smooth in my gasser.
Delo always has been a great oil, but with the low numbers, I just don't feel good about using it in an HD high compression diesel engine. But the great thing about America is we get choices (for now anyway). If it works great in your V-8 gasser, epic.

Side note, not sure why Delo removed a lot of proven additives from their add packs. I'll have to go back and look again.

On edit:

Chevron Delo 15w-40 SDE
Ca--1404
Mag--722
Phos--779
Zinc--817
Boron--103

I didn't see any other make up adds such as Titanium, for example. Those numbers are close to 2/3 of the others posted. That is enough for me. Plenty for SN ratings, but lacking for the CK rating. JMO.

Last edited:
bbslider001: I do believe seeing or reading that some DELO oils are SN rated also 🤔

yeah, it seems you have to look and see which HD oils do not have the SN rating. Some CK oils do and some do not, so that seems to play a role in add packs and numbers, etc....

Unsure if the comments on Delo are general or a specific weight. I have run a few miles on the Delo 5W40 synthetic CJ-4 and the UOA was good even after 20K miles.

Note the CK-4 version of the oil mentioned above does not meet the Ford spec for PSD engines.

Unsure if the comments on Delo are general or a specific weight. I have run a few miles on the Delo 5W40 synthetic CJ-4 and the UOA was good even after 20K miles.

Note the CK-4 version of the oil mentioned above does not meet the Ford spec for PSD engines.
Apparently, there's a difference between the older Delo 400 LE CJ-4 oil and the newer similar CK-4 oils. Only one Chevron SDE oil, and only one multi-viscosity weight of it, has passed Ford's new diesel "-F1" spec.

Back