Finally on board with CK-4

I know it's been beat to death, but I ignored the discussion for awhile. I finally looked on the very helpful PQIA site where one can easily read all of the VOAs on HD oil. I have since abandoned Travellers and move to Motocraft 15w-40 for my 5k mile OCIs. The numbers don't lie, and being the nature of the 7.3,it definitely idles with a little less injector cackle and I have confidence in the level of protection for my 380k mile engine. I'll get a UOA here in the next 1000 miles when I change over to Fumoto valve.

Personally I think it's pretty hard to buy a bad 15w40 hdeo these days especially if you're going to do such a short change. I just switched to kirkland of all brands lol. Uoa in a few months

Why weren’t you on board with it, and what was your finding relative to Travelers brand?

While I appreciate the announcement, more detail with rationale would be nice.
I have rationale. I said the numbers do not lie. The Phos, Zinc, and Calcium were a decent amount higher than the Travellers oil. It's NOT bad oil, but there is definitely better regarding add packs in the Rotella and Motorcraft. Go to the PQIA website. They are there for all to see. Great information to be found.

Personally I think it's pretty hard to buy a bad 15w40 hdeo these days especially if you're going to do such a short change. I just switched to kirkland of all brands lol. Uoa in a few months
Well, I would agree with you....until I saw Delo and Delvac numbers. No thanks on those two.

Well, I would have agree with you....until I saw Delo and Delvac numbers. No thanks on those two.
So no more Supertech/Warren made 15W40 in the ol 7.3

Unfortunately no. That oil did me well for many miles in my last truck, but the new formulation is lacking in numbers that we need for the old iron, IMO anyways.

Travellers:
Ph-1070
Zinc-1181
Ca-2337
Mg-12
TBN-9.74

Motorcraft:
Ph-1156
Zinc-1233
Ca-1506
Mg-879
TBN-10.4

Rotella:
Ph-1034
Zinc-1130
Ca-2327
Mg-14
TBN-9.32

Whoops, you are correct. The Travellers has a tad better range on the numbers than Rotella, but the Motorcraft wins out. Sorry for the inaccuracies. There they are for all to see.

Check into the choices from Valvoline, both 15w40. Maybe you would like these also.
White Bottle:
Ph-1099
Zinc-1233
Ca-1801
Mg-420
TBN-9.68

Premium Blue:
Ph-1020
Zinc-1141
Ca-1453
Mg-620
TBN-10.05

Check into the choices from Valvoline, both 15w40. Maybe you would like these also.
White Bottle:
Ph-1099
Zinc-1233
Ca-1801
Mg-420
TBN-9.68

Premium Blue:
Ph-1020
Zinc-1141
Ca-1453
Mg-620
TBN-10.05

Yeah Valvoline oils have always been a fave of mine. I use it in my wife's Kia. Napa has similar numbers as well, but I think Valvoline produces Napa oils. I might be wrong on that. It is definitely good to know we have some choices. Appreciate you posting up the numbers! Just curious, what are you using in that 6.7?

Currently I have Mobil1 5w40 TDT in it. I've been running it mostly for some time, as I have a decent stash. But I used the 15w40PB before the Mobil1. The Valvoline white bottle is priced good at Walmart and it will be going in the stash as well.
Best to you.

Wow....in light of numbers - you should check out engine wear numbers instead of interpreting recipes.

Not sure what is funny or "wow" worthy. Rather than test and see how oils with lesser add packs perform, I'll choose one that is proven and the add pack is still robust. Thanks though. keep on....

Last edited:
Not sure what is funny or "wow" worthy. Rather than test and see how oils with lesser add packs perform, I'll choose one that is proven and the add pack is still robust. Thanks though. keep on....
With no disrespect. Why do you claim to know about addpacks and their robustness - or lack thereof. You are making uneducated assumptions. Just because an oil has a 'big slug of Moly or Zinc' doesn't mean its a better performing oil than another addpack that is based on other additives.
It's how well they work as a whole - the proof of that is in studies of their performance as far as cleanliness, anti-wear performance etc.

Back