Finally ditching Comcast... for the lesser of two evil's

For the last 3 months, I've gone over the 1.2 TB data cap on my Comcast home internet plan. I'm currently on a $55/mo for 100/10 or something like that. Since the pandemic started, I have a house full of out of work room mates (servers) and a kid doing distance learning. It's beyond easy to blow through 1.2 TB these days, usually by the 10th-15th of the month.

I tried chatting with Comcast support online, hoping to get at least somewhat of an offer to retain a 10+ year customer. The best I was offered was 200 meg down PLUS $30 for unlimited data, bringing the total to $105 a month. I wasn't as offended by that as I was by the chat agent's attitude: They actually stated to me "Comcast provides the best value of any service provider currently". Blatant lie.

I own all my own equipment, so it will be easy to dump them. I have an appointment for next Tuesday the 19th to have CenturyLink fiber installed. 940 meg service with no data caps and a free OWNED, not rented, modem for $65/mo plus tax. No contract, no promo deal. I know all about the horror stories regarding CL's customer service, I've dealt with them first hand, however I refuse to continue to support the Comcast ecosystem. Good riddance.
Lmao...I would have told them that they're f'ing high. :ROFLMAO:

I've had both Comcast and CenturyLink. Even though I don't like the way Comcast does business, working from home I need a rock stable connection. Even though CenturyLink is fiber to the home in my area, hey still have way more issues than Comcast. So, I had to stick with Comcast. A year in and not one issue. Neighbors on a Facebook group we all belong to complain about CenturyLink every few weeks....

If CenturyLink would fix their infrastructure I'd happily hop over to them. They are only $65 a month for 1Gb down/up in my area, crazy cheap. I pay $89/Mo for 250Mb down, 20Mb up. I own my own router.

If you're into that sort of thing, yes, you have to make a stand somewhere. There's no right answer, though. It's Xfinity or AT&T around here and people have hate and horror stories for both of them. I cancelled Xfinity when I saw my first month's bill of my "$99" package was $150.
My relationship with AT&T has been rocky, but at my current $40/mth with unlimited data, it's working out for us. We have a full time worker and a student who is going to "school", and the bandwidth keeps up - even with AT&T absolutely getting hammered during the day now.

Enjoy your new service and lower bills. Many people get pi$$ed at these giants corporations and they just keep paying the bills.

I did something like that years ago with Bell Canada. They didn't offer unlimited DSL at the time. When I was on the phone since they record the calls I mentioned, "I'll never do business with you again even if you are the last company on earth", telling the guy not to take it personal this is directed at the company.

I really couldn't tell you. We aren't streaming 4k, just 1080p. But we stream all day every day, I have no cable. Depending on the day, there's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 hours of streaming between the 4 of us. That's a rough guess. That's let's say 1k hours a month. Let's say, for sake of argument, that the data used is 2 gigs/hr. That's 2tb right there

10 hours a day per person? Thats alot of TV viewing!

Did you try T Mobile Home Internet yet?
It takes a few seconds on line to see if it is available to you. You do not need a cable to your home anymore, its the future. Much like you do not need a landline telephone anymore. the word is getting out, you DO have options, maybe, you can check below on the link if its available to you.

I have a full review in the "Electronics section" of BITOG. We are thrilled and so is another BITOG member who tried it based on my post, he like you had no options.

$50 a month autopay, actual payment. ( I wish people would post actual payment in these threads)
Everything is free, equipment and air shipping to your home. No taxes, No BS ... if its available to you, your more advanced then people with wired connections ... :eek:) the price of a data connection to your home via landline is getting stupid expensive from the landline providers.
Then they justify the price with speed claims that no homeowner can make use of. Its like getting 1000 amp electric service in your home when your home cant possible use more then 100 amps but have a safety net of 200 amp service.

Literally takes minutes to set up and be running IF you have a good signal which TMobile will not send to you if they do not think its possible.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

Not available to me, I checked before I posted previously.

I'm pretty much stuck with Comcast because of a useless HOA board and property management company that has never allowed any other companies to lay service into the community for 20+ years now, have been claiming for 3 years they are exploring other options but seems a bunch of hot air.

I will say I have been with them for 8+ years now and the service is very reliable, had an issue about a year back related to aging 20 year old switches/splitters out at the main box that was corrected quickly. I upgraded to the gigabit (*1GB download w/hard wire connection) when I was working from home constantly, over 5 GHZ wi-fi the download speed is about ½ and I typically see 450-500 MBPS downloads. $187/month with taxes and fees for the gigabit service and one of the mid tier cable packages with two boxes, any room DVR and the rental equipment. I figure $187/month is not too terrible and until my HOA gets off their arses and lets Google Fiber come on the property I really don't have any choice but to keep paying Comcast.

Back