Filters on GM 2.2 Ecotec engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just visited my local GM garage to get some info from a trained mechanic. He told me that putting a new filter in the original cap is perfectly fine. He said they have done literally hundreds of oil changes that way and they've never had one blow up yet.

So the old cap works with the redesigned filters and old filters, but the new cap does not work with the old filters? There shouldn't be any old-design filters unless it's old stock, right?

I would think they would have to be very old stock. If you go to WM, NAPA, AAP,etc. and look up your year of car then that filter is going to be fine. Like I said, I have been changing oil in a 2003 Sunfire 2.2 and buying whatever the catalog at AAP says I need and the car has well over 120,000 and it is still going.

Doesnt make sense to me. If the pressure values are different to activate the by pass, it seems to follow that either way (old cap/new filter or new cap/old filter) would be wrong.

Maybe the dealer isn't discerning between what works and what is optimal?

Like I said, I'd get the 458 and eliminate all doubt, that old bypass in that cap is due for replacement anyway.....but that is just mho. Dealer has final call, of course.

Last edited:
My recollection is hazy but isn't the old filter taller, so while the old cap can tolerate a shorter new filter, the new cap will crush the old filter? Or maybe I have it all wrong? I can't find the info on ACDelco techconnect, but I haven't really looked hard. I don't think any filter you buy would be old style anymore, so I'd probably just get the new cap.

I'm just buying whatever filter the 2003 Cavalier 2.2 calls for from AAP and putting her in. That's what I've always done and everything has been fine.

I think the difference was the inner diameter or something. Back in 02 when my Cavalier was new, 2 different cartridges were available and you needed to be sure and get the right one. Haven't hear much lately. Perhaps the PF 457 works with both caps. Maybe that is why they dropped the PF 2244G or whatever.

Yeah that makes sense. The PF457g is the only filter now and apparently it works with either cap.

I can run out to the truck and get the Purolator # for you guys.

Originally Posted By: labman
Except for the Fram CH 9018 that Walmart usually has for $7-8, the ST 9018 at $5.69 is one of the most expensive cartridges, but the only one made in America by an American company that I know of. You can get either an AC or Purolator at AAP for under $5.

Does this "mantra" have to be part of every filter discussion? Can't we just help out new members, without everything being a political agenda?

The ST9018 is a very good filter for this application. As others have said, I would get a new 458 Cap/Filter combo for the next OCI, for the new O-Ring, bypass and to make sure your user has the latest cap. After that, any aftermarket filter you choose should work fine.

I've taken a look at literally every filter offered for the Gm ecotec engine.

In my opinion, just looking at them visually, the only "very well designed" filter is the OEM filter made by Hengst.

The rest of them are pretty much the exact same design, with is different than the oem, has less pleats, and ends up crushed after 4k miles.

Sure all of them will "work", but I like how the oem filter holds up.

I have used (in recent memory) Fram, Supertech, Purolator, STP, and they have all come out crushed slightly.

Now we get to the question that is a filter being crushed slightly a problem?

I have no idea on that one.

The OEM filter looks fine after 4k miles.

Furthermore, using a non OEM oil filter sometimes causes a TAPPING noise on startup of a cold engine, that I do not hear with the OEM filter.

I have two cars with ecotec engines, a Saturn, and a Pontiac. The pontiac does not care what filter I put in it, it does not tap ever. The saturn will tap with a non OEM filter when it is very cold outside. I literally switched it to an OEM filter, and the next morning it didn't make a sound.

Originally Posted By: jeepman
The ST9018 is a very good filter for this application. As others have said, I would get a new 458 Cap/Filter combo for the next OCI, for the new O-Ring, bypass and to make sure your user has the latest cap. After that, any aftermarket filter you choose should work fine.

NO! The last ST9018 I used in my Mother's '08 Cobalt was made in Korea and the media failed. It was also VERY brittle! If you're going to use a SuperTech, open the box and make sure it's a "Made in USA" model. You will visibly see the difference in pleats and how they mount to the endcaps.

Be aware of any "warranty" issuises when working on
"girls" car....you may end up with lifetime warranty!

Yeah I think the ACDelco PF457G is the best filter to use. What's funny is that filter is $8.88 at Walmart, but other places are cheaper.

At my dealer, the 457g is not the Hengst. You got to get the 458g in order to get the Hengst filter. The 457's he has come in a bag and look more like the Champ design with the thick end caps.

Nothing seems to stay constant. The PF 457 I paid $4+ for about a year ago at AAP was Hengst. What does your dealer want for one?

I've been buying the 458 just to get the Hengst, he gets me those for just over $12. IIRC, he said the new filter in the bag was $6 something. I want to say it was made in Bulgaria or Poland, not sure where but it was offshore.

Well,
A friend and I changed the oil and filter in the '03 2.2 Ecotec Cavalier yesterday. The filter that came out of the car was a Hengst and was in decent condition for being in there so long. I started to remember you guys saying to replace it with a Hengst but then I also remembered the GM mechanic saying to use whichever brand that I wanted. Anyway, my friend put the Purolator Classic filter in while I drained the very dirty oil and re-filled it with Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30.

I just pulled a NAPA out on Saturday, over 10k km and it looked ok, pleats were twisted in the middle a bit like I've seen in other pics but not collapsed at all. Replaced it with a WIX which seems to be the cheapest I can get around here.

Just a question but why would the change in bypass pressure affect the use of the new or old filter? Would the designs be that different and one that much more restrictive than the other?

Oh and propper installation is to clip it into the cap and screw the cap on, correct?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back