Filtering oil with paper shop towel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy fellow oil lovers
smile.gif

Just finished three experiments in filtering oil. You might remember I asked about the "rope method" for filtering used oil. Was advised to use cotton rope. Still can't find any pure cotton rope but am looking.

In the meantime, I have been itching to filter. What I did was set up three stations with a total of six 9 oz glass bottle, (starbucks coffee bottles, I have a friend who loves this stuff and gives me the glass bottles).

Three of the bottles were placed on my work bench. The other three bottles were placed directly behind these bottles one bottle level above the three on the workbench, (about 8 inches).

Rather than using a rope, I use a square of the heavy duty "shop" towels, (they are made from paper). I rolled each of these squares snugly into a tube and loosely tied them with a piece of small copper wire.

I then filled each of the top bottles with a different oil.

Bottle one was filled with used 5W30 motor oil.

Bottle two was filled with used DexIII/M transmission fluid, (it was coffee black).

Bottle three was filled with used cooking oil, (very dark brown - the color of strong tea).

In each of the upper bottles now filled with oil, I inserted one rolled up square of paper towel. Wick action started immediately. I then "bent" the towel over the top of the bottle and inserted it into the lower bottle.

The cooking oil wicked through the towel the fastest. Within two hours, it was dripping clean, very light oil into the lower bottle. Once drip started, rate of drip was about one ounce per hour.

The transmission fluid bottle took about six hours to wick through and start dripping into the lower bottle. The fluid that dripped off the towel was a clean and had a slight reddish/pink color to it, (remember, the original fluid was the color of black coffee). Rate of drip was about once ounce per three hours.

The used motor oil took the longest, taking 9 hours to start dripping. Color was a very dark brown, (the color of strong tea). Rate of drip was about one ounce for seven hours.

Sludge/trash was left behind in upper bottle. With the exception of part of paper towel in upper glass jar, the remainder of towel was "clean." In other words, only the part dipped in "dirty" fluid was dirty.

I'm just guessing here, but I would assume all additives were "left behind" in upper bottle so that what dripped in lower bottles was "pure" oil.

Having tried this in many and various ways, this is the first time I actually got the fluid to "wick" through the material into another container. Till now, the most I could get was a wick several inches above container and it would go no further.

The oil soaked paper towels I will use as firing starting material as I now have several large piles of wood trash to burn.

No messes or spills were created and it's not hot enough here for flies.

Yes, filtered oil will head to "Luv" Machine, (except the cooking oil. I'm going to trying using that in my chainsaw for bar and chain oil. The last time I used used cooking oil as bar and chain oil, it didn't work so good. Maybe better luck this time).

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
GHT is that you....?
whistle.gif

I've heard of this guy - sounds like we're cut from the same cloth
smile.gif

Not really. You both do things your own way and seem to be a little stubborn, but looks to be the end of it.

GHT might have had to go out and buy special glass jars made specifically for filtering oil, then paid someone to stick the paper towels in so he knows they're in there the right way. I imagine he'd have to mix in 20% of some specific brand of synthetic oil (whatever's the most expensive) and start a thread asking how long the mixed oil should be good to use before the additives are depleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back