Filter size info required please

Hi all. I have an old Volkswagen with a 2.4 stroker motor in it. The motor is full flowed and has an external oil cooler fitted - I use an external oil filter head with a sandwich plate.

I have a question regarding the oil filter. I have always used Mann W940/1 filters which have a 3/4-16 thread size however, the sandwich plate I am now using (for the external cooler) requires a filter with an M18 x 1.5mm thread, with which the Mann W940/1 is not available. I have managed to source a Wix 51036 which fits the thread however, this is a fair bit smaller than the Mann 940/1 (about 15mm smaller in diameter and about 18mm smaller in height)

My question is, will there be any issue using this slightly smaller filter or will the difference be negligible?

Interestingly, the Mann filter is listed as having a bypass valve but the Wix apparently not. I also cannot find a flow rate for the Mann filter, whilst the Wix has a flow rate of 7-9GPM.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer

Rich

Last edited:
So is it "a fair bit" or "slightly" smaller?

Just ribbing you.

You'll be fine. Often a filter's can is nowhere near filled by its element.
In other words, the 2 filter elements involved could be exactly the same size.

Someone will be along in a moment to advise you to cut one of each open, take a series of photos and to post them.

I hear (in Co. Durham) that the travel prohibitions are being enforced. Stay healthy.

Filters are hard to judge for media room, unless one is dissected and analyzed. Napa filters are known for small media. I just sent Stude / Adam a virgin round-hole Napa ProSelect 21334 to report on. Sent him an Ecore by Supertech (9688) to match-up to my current AC Delco 1127 Ecore. I hope Adam takes time-out from his busy schedule in the next year ( I have patience), to dissect / analyze my two filters.

Poor Adam still has his 26K ToughGuard to come off and inspect. How long has that filter seen total bypass......lol. Good thing it's a Toyota that often runs forever Stu.

Fram Ultras are known for having mega-media room, per square inch inside. BITOG has often found these things-out, due to incredible members that hack their filters open.

Last edited:
Most M18 filters are intended for GM V6s and do not have a bypass. Unless your adapter has one, you are taking a risk running without.

Pretty much the only one with bypass that I know of is for a 2012-2015 Chevrolet Spark (Matiz). Fram 11462 Mahle 996 etc. They will be approximately 65mm tall, shorter than the V6 ones.

The Fram Ultra XG3387a is 18mm thread, and has an adbv but no bypass. German Mann w712/75 has 18mm thread, no adbv and no bypass.

Back