Filter for a mild Buick 455 - not much cross-refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good oil filter, where efficiency (catching particles) is my priority.

The car is a '71 Buick LeSabre with a mild performance, recently (8-mile track for test-n-tune. I drive it easy until it's warmed up and don't drive it like my hair is on fire, although I do like to open it up on long roads and at the occasional stop-light. I'm guessing I'll be changing the oil once a year, at maybe 3-5K miles?

I've gathered that Fram Tough Guard and Ultra would be a good choice, only they don't make them in my size (Fram PH25, AC Delco PF24, etc).

I've been searching online and cross-referencing, and here's what I've come up with.

CONVENTIONAL MEDIA

AD Delco PF24: what I've been using for years, but I've been told to watch out for rubber adbv's. $6 locally.

Fram PH25 Extra Guard: Not gonna happen.

Motorcraft FL9: I see good reviews of Motorcrafts here, $5 locally.

Wix 51258: I've always liked Wix, $7 locally.

SYNTHETIC MEDIA / BLENDS

Bosch 3423 (Premium): Seems good, except for the recent reports of torn media in Bosch's, $7.50 locally

Mobil 1-203: Seems very good, $14 locally.

Napa Gold FIL 1258: People say good things about them, but I have no experience. $7 locally

Anybody have any idea if any of the Fram ToughGuard's or Ultra's will cross-reference?

The OEM filter specs I've found are:

Gasket ID: 2.42"
Gashet OD: 2.8"
Can Diameter: 3.8"
Can Length 4.24", but I'd be happy to go longer like a 5.2" Motorcraft FL2 (which is extinct)
Threads: 13/16 - 16

MUST have a good anti-drainback valve.

The ACDelco may have a rubber ADBV, but at least the filter element holds up very well.

You won't see the pleats all wavy and bent out of shape like a Fram or a Purolator.

NAPA Gold, Wix, Motorcraft, Bosch or Mobil 1 are your best choices.

If you got Amazon Prime, the Mobil 1 Ext. Performance is $7.95.

Wix and NAPA gold and CarQuest blue filters are all the same product, AC Delco is now unknown prodcut as AC has not made filters for along time and Champion Labs/Fram now make them.

FWIW, Fram does (or did - maybe they are now discontinued and on closeout) make a TG25. Check Amazon, Rock Auto, etc.

I don't find an XG25, though.

If you decide against the TG25, see if your local NAPA is running a filter sale and, if so, stock up on the 1258.

PS - post pics of the LeSabre!

Originally Posted By: 2NABOT
Looking for a good oil filter, where efficiency (catching particles) is my priority.

The car is a '71 Buick LeSabre with a mild performance, recently (8-mile track for test-n-tune. I drive it easy until it's warmed up and don't drive it like my hair is on fire, although I do like to open it up on long roads and at the occasional stop-light. I'm guessing I'll be changing the oil once a year, at maybe 3-5K miles?

I've gathered that Fram Tough Guard and Ultra would be a good choice, only they don't make them in my size (Fram PH25, AC Delco PF24, etc).

I've been searching online and cross-referencing, and here's what I've come up with.

CONVENTIONAL MEDIA

AD Delco PF24: what I've been using for years, but I've been told to watch out for rubber adbv's. $6 locally.

Fram PH25 Extra Guard: Not gonna happen.

Motorcraft FL9: I see good reviews of Motorcrafts here, $5 locally.

Wix 51258: I've always liked Wix, $7 locally.

SYNTHETIC MEDIA / BLENDS

Bosch 3423 (Premium): Seems good, except for the recent reports of torn media in Bosch's, $7.50 locally

Mobil 1-203: Seems very good, $14 locally.

Napa Gold FIL 1258: People say good things about them, but I have no experience. $7 locally

Anybody have any idea if any of the Fram ToughGuard's or Ultra's will cross-reference?

The OEM filter specs I've found are:

Gasket ID: 2.42"
Gashet OD: 2.8"
Can Diameter: 3.8"
Can Length 4.24", but I'd be happy to go longer like a 5.2" Motorcraft FL2 (which is extinct)
Threads: 13/16 - 16

MUST have a good anti-drainback valve.
Fram TG25 Tough Guard.

Wix is one of your best choices. You can get the Fram TG25 on the Web. Currently rock auto has 6 in Stock with 2 of them on closeout @ $3 and four around $6.

Thanks for the heads-up on the TG25! Oddly enough, searching based on the vehicle never turned up any Fram but the base PH25.

Rock auto also has Mobil 1 filters for $2.50, and Wix's for $4 or so, so I've ordered 3 each plus the TG25's, so I'll be able to make some comparisons.

I'll post some car/engine pics when I get back to the desktop.

The car went over 40 years on Delco's and you want to change? BTW, if the Motorcfaft filter doesn't have an S in the # it's the same old rubber valve as the Delco.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
The car went over 40 years on Delco's and you want to change?

A Delco oil filter from 40 years ago was not an E-Core.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The car went over 40 years on Delco's and you want to change?

A Delco oil filter from 40 years ago was not an E-Core.

+1.

Glad you got a lot of filters for a deal.

The car went over 40 years on Delco's and you want to change? BTW, if the Motorcfaft filter doesn't have an S in the # it's the same old rubber valve as the Delco.

Actually, no.

I got the car at 85K miles in '84, and used to be a diehard Fram user. Then Frams changed and their ADBV's leaked, and at 130K miles I rebuilt the original 350 engine (not because of oil issues). Around then I cut a couple Frams open and got disgusted with Frams. That was something like 15-20 years and ago. Sine then I've been using Wix, Purolator, and Delcos since, and the Delcos seemed to make pressure quickest on cold starts. Then I swapped the then-tired 350 (285K miles on the car, 150K on the engine) for a performance 455. That brings us up to the "current" history in my original post. This engine has about 5K miles on it, using old (5yrs) Delco filters.

Not that I'm chomping at the bit to ditch Delco, I'm just checking on current technology and filters, trying to keep up with current info.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Glad you got a lot of filters for a deal.

Thanks! I'm thinking that at that price and since it'll take me a decade to use them all, I might as well cut a few open and compare their internals.

Now, where to get a filter cutter?
grin.gif

Found it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3311342/Searchpage/1/Main/213969/Words/%2BFilter+%2Bcutter/Search/true/Re:_Oil_Filter_Cutter_Recommen#Post3311342

I love Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back