Filter for 15K OCI: Mobil EP or Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've done the searches already and have narrowed it down to an Amsoil Ea series or the Mobil EP series filter for my 2001 Suburban 5.3L 4WD currently 118K miles. I'd like to get at least 200K, maybe 250K or more on the engine before trading/selling it. I'd also like to get as much MPG as possible but I think that's a different discussion.

Anyway, there is a sale right now on Mobil EP's at advance auto for $7.88 and if I get an Amsoil dealership or preferred customer, which I likely will do for at least 6 months to stock up on everything, the Ea's are $11.50. I plan on running HDD 5W-30 oil (6qts) and doing 1 year/15,000 OCI's. The truck sees a mix of short trips/long trips and probably one very long family vacation type trip each year. I'm near Chicago so there will be 3-4 months of very cold starts and 3-4 months of 85-100 degree summer heat. I have never towed with it but may in the future. I plan on doing a UOA for at least the first couple of years. In the past I've been using the OLM, 5 month/6-7K OCI, with synthetic oil and Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters. I want to extend that out a little.

Questions: Does anyone currently do yearly/high mileage OCI's with the 5.3L engine, if so, any UOA? A lot of people say the EaO filters are "the best" spin-ons, better than M1 but is it a case of not enough difference to matter? Is the EaO overkill for 15K OCI's, is the M1EP underkill for 15K OCI's?

I know I'm being anal but aren't most of us on this site? One the one hand, I can save $4, on the other I can have what a lot of people call the best. If I were going to run 25K a year and try to do it all on one filter, I would run the Amsoil but at ~15K. I just not sure there would be any difference. Does anyone know which one actually "filters" better-not considering the holding capacity.

Does anyone currently do yearly/high mileage OCI's with the 5.3L engine, if so, any UOA?

Yes I do on my 2004 GMC, also did it on my 2001, 1999, 1996, 1992, 1988 and so on. Also on my 2005 Cadillac CTS.

On the 04 GMC I have been using the S.3000 5W-30 since new, once a year in Nov. Currently have the old SDF64 model on it but will go EaO next. GMC Has the EAA123 filter in for nearly 1 yr now.

No tests, I have 30 yrs of experience and don't need to waste my money testing.

As for the other filters, can't tell you. Been using Amsoil stuff since 1975 and I got to stick with works for me. I don't need to waste time shopping to save a $$, life it too short to worry about a few $$. I would use the best even if going 3000 miles (Which I never would do)

You know the old saying? Those that are always looking for something for nothing, usually end up with nothing

I think pushing 15 K on a good synthetic is doing just that....pushing it.

13K for V/8's is a figure that jumps to mind looking at the V/8 analysis and from seeing where a friends 5.9 Dodge with 100K ends up.

The Amsoil is a better choice because of the in-depth configuration on the fibers over each other. I would run the Amsoil EaO and send in a sample at 10K to confirm if the oil can go further.

I would like to say that depending on your engine condition...you may just get 15K

What sort of service life does Mobil recommend for their oil filters?

I'd go with the EAO since it has significantly higher efficiency than the blended, synthetic media filters. If you're going 15k miles in a V-8, you'd like to keep the oil as clean as possible. If Amsoil is recommending 25k for it under normal conditions, they've probably tested it for 50% longer than that in service.

Saving $4.00/yr is a six pack of cheap beer, to put things in perspective.
smile.gif

TS

I could find no mileage recommendation for their filters on Mobil 1's site in the FAQ. It would appear that it's as long as they recommend their oils (5k,7.5k,15k). The time limits are 6/6/12 for the respective mileages. No extended drain is specifically mentioned for regular M1 and the M1 warranty covers lubrication related failures attributed to the oil ONLY if the OEM recommendation is adhered to.

dunno.gif

Went to Advanced Auto yesterday and got 8 Pure One's for $4.88 each for my other car, my neighbors's car and my mothers car-they all run the same size filter and all will do 7-9k OCI's. Skipped buying the M1 EP's though for the Suburban. Will just get the EaO's and push 10K-12K w/UOA and see how it turns out before going beyond that interval.

I really don't mind spending the extra $4, I mean look at the oil I'll be using, its about $7+ per quart but I also don't want to waste money if its not necessary. I guess with a 10-15K interval I should really use the best, so that's what I'll do. Thank you everyone for all your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back