Filter dirt out of my clean ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about a nearly full 2.5 gallon bottle of Amsoil synthetic ATF(expensive) outside with a peanut butter jar propped up draining clean ATF back into it, then my dad also forgot about it and used the leaf blower. It's safe to say some dirt and dust got blown into there.
Can this ATF be made safe again by filtering it in some way? The only way I've filtered oil before was with coffee filters in small amounts of oil. Coffee filters are slow and I am not knowledgeable enough to say whether coffee filters would filter out the dust adequately.

Any suggestions? I wonder if a pump could be utilized in some way to pump oil through an aux filter; an excuse to finally buy a Mityvac 7201 that gets good reviews on here? I also just remembered that I have a Fram Ultra synthetic filter XG8A on hand that I was planning on adding to the oil cooler circuit in my 04 Buick Lesabre.

Thanks

Last edited:
should have got the atf+4 at walmart. it's the same stuff.

one could rig up a pump, with a good highend oil filter, and see what you get. heat the oil up first.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would run it through coffee filters a few times and use it
Sure, transmissions are cheap.

Hi all,

Actually when I do a quick swap of the tranny filter in a weak GM transmission, I use 3 new paper paint strainer filters (cone shaped) in a medium to large plastic funnel sitting in the spout of a clean tranny oil jug! I've been doing this for years!

The tranny fluid goes thru way faster then a coffee filter and it does catch bits.

However, watch out for any water in the oil, it's a killer for the clutch packs.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Amsoil transmission fluid,$13 a quart. Transmission,$3000.00+. Easy decision imo.

Dump $130 worth of ATF because filtering it is too much trouble?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Amsoil transmission fluid,$13 a quart. Transmission,$3000.00+. Easy decision imo.

Dump $130 worth of ATF because filtering it is too much trouble?

Coffee filters and paint filters aren't going to get fine dust out. He messed up. By new fluid. It's not worth destroying a transmission.

Toss it, transmissions aren't cheap. Somethings aren't worth taking chances with to me, this fits the bill.

If it were me, I'd write it off. I know it expensive but it's nothing compared to a transmission. You have no idea how well the coffee filters do which likely only remove the craters.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would run it through coffee filters a few times and use it
I do this with oil and antifreeze I want to reuse.

The kicker is that any OEM or aftermarket tranny filter doesn't filter anything under 50 microns, this means wear metals are free to wonder all over your tranny.

The tranny filter is only good at catching clutch material that's way larger then the wear metals shed from gears and bearings. Most bearings are often only case hardened!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
The kicker is that any OEM or aftermarket tranny filter doesn't filter anything under 50 microns, this means wear metals are free to wonder all over your tranny.

The tranny filter is only good at catching clutch material that's way larger then the wear metals shed from gears and bearings. Most bearings are often only case hardened!

Your logic is backwards. You only make the case for new fluid.

They're made this way because they assume you aren't about to dump super fine silica dust in the tranny. (Engines have air filters for this reason. They keep fine silica out, not the oil filter)

The fact the filter in the tranny won't catch the contamination he created is all the more reason to just buy new fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back