Filter debris, 2005 Volvo S60, pics

This is a 2005 Volvo S60, 2.4 NA. it just turned 170k. this is with Castrol syntec 0-40, run 10,000 miles with a mahle filter. It uses very little oil over the interval. The last 500 miles or so had half a can of seafoam in the crankcase. As a background, we bought the car at 103k miles and it used one quart every 1000 miles or so. After 15,000 miles on syntec and seafoam, it gradually started holding onto its oil.

I usually don’t see this much debris in the filter. You can see the bottom 1/4” has accumulation between the pleats, and the other pic shows a scrape from the screwdriver. Engine runs great, no evidence of Volvo pcv shenanigans. enjoy.

Attachments

• 274F7238-64F4-46A9-A87F-3328E61CD2EA.jpeg
    274F7238-64F4-46A9-A87F-3328E61CD2EA.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 115
  • D10BA1F8-DFB3-4195-AEAE-12E03A5CFACF.jpeg
    D10BA1F8-DFB3-4195-AEAE-12E03A5CFACF.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 114
that's much worse than the 31k filter from my diesel. Looks like it's a result from blowby, if so this is likely going to get better now.

“No evidence of Volvo PCV shenanigans”...well, I would say that this is evidence of those shenanigans.

That kind of carbon/gunk is exactly what builds up in the flame trap. Looks like it’s present in the sump.

If it were mine, I would both replace the complete PCV system, and drop the oil pan (not a hard job, about 30 little bolts, though) to clean it and the block to oil pan passages.

By the way, that’s a good oil choice for your Volvo.

You need to look at the upper PCV that runs to the top of the engine. This hose deteriorates in time just pull it and it will come apart.

The old hose was vulcanized rubber and the replacement are too know, if broken you might be loosing oil.

It is a pain to replace w/ out removing the intake but it can be done, I done a few already!

Seems like a lot of junk. I'd probably start changing the filter at 5k, if you wanted to run 10k OCI's.

Not familiar with the PCV on these cars but I wonder if a check on the valvetrain is in order? Seems to me that is where the oil likes to drop stuff out of suspension. Dropping the oil pan might not be bad either.

This gunk in circulation is likely a product of the seafoam " paint thinner" in you engine "loosing the hounds of hades".

You would not see me pouring seafoam into a modern engine - or any engine for that matter.
Alcohol (2-propanol) is NOT good in the CC. Was your engine submerged off Hilton Head ?

Most of that crankcase cleaner garbage is gone off the shelves except this one that got popular due to
Internet video promotion. I do see Toluol, MEK and Mineral Spirits on the shelves in the Paint Aisle where it belongs. Then there is White Gas in the camping aisle.

Now I see seafoam are really moving into the LUCAS arena, marketing an Oil Stabilizer !

But the seafoam product is marketed as " ULTIMATE" Oil Stabilizer, which has got to be better than
Lucas' "Heavy Duty" Oil Stabilizer

I see a TM below LUCAS product, I imagine a trademark violation suit will be in full swing soon.

- Ken

I've read that the PCV system is best changed at 100,000. I've all the parts and it'll be 114K when I do mine.

Those long OCIs are too hep for me.

If I'm not mistaken, the manual allows for 7,500 mile OCIs. I bet it's lower for heavy duty/severe conditions.

put a rubber glove on the oil fill cap. if it tries to give you a high five it’s time to do the PCV.

don’t wait too long or you’ll blow out the cam seal

excellent points. i suspect when I got it at 100k that it was moving towards trouble, based on its consumption and the original pcv system. Since oil consumption has improved over time, I’ve enjoyed a positive trend with, “if it ain’t broke...” it passes the glove test with flying colors (no “high five”). It’s possible that this is stuff that’s been in there for a while, and this “last 500” dosing of seafoam was the first it’s seen in a while and may have broken some stuff loose. the pcv hoses are all sturdy and aren’t flaking off. Previous weakening hoses have been replaced. Recently fixed evap (works great now) and brake booster (also great now) hiccups.

also - yes, it really does well with 0-40 syntec. However, after 10k miles that stuff came out thick.

to be sure, I’ve never seen this much junk come out of it. the one big change is the car is being short-tripped a lot, as my daughter‘s driving habits have shifted to working 5 minutes from home, much shorter than her previous routine. Shorter OCI is the idea I like, and I will suggest that to her. As far as going full bitog on it, I probably won’t. I think she’s going to take it to her mothers soon for 2-year‘s storage as she‘s about to study abroad. I have no idea how it will be taken care of there, and am also facing a transition in family/parenting/boundaries - for all those reasons combined don’t intend to go for bitog gold and make it 100%, even if I still love the car. (She’s an adult, its her car, and she’s making decisions which extend beyond my scope... not bad decisions at all, just paths which depart from my sphere... if that makes sense?)

shorter OCI. I like that.

m

I would just continue with maintenance on it and keep it on the road. I would run the oci in half and just monitor it for the most part. Maybe an italian tune up would clear out some more gunk that the seafoam wouldnt be able to do so, but if you want another seafoam treatment next time should be fine but run it for 300 miles or less since that stuff will thin out your oil supposedly.

Back