Filter change intervals - drain and fill questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 diesel pickups. A daily driver and a tow vehicle. Both run quality filters.
Fleetguard LF3656, amsoil EABP 110 for my 6.0 powerstroke - daily driver 5k service intervals.

donaldson dbl7349 for my 6.7 cummins, eabp 100. 7500k, or annually. Whichever comes first. Which is annually every time.

My question is, do I really need to change the filter each time, especially on my Cummins, being that it has seen 3500 miles since june 2018? Filter should be good for a few changes? Am I wasting time, money and mess?

On my 6.0L, the lf3656 is very expensive. roughly $50. 5k with a bypass, should I be able to run 10-15k on the filter and drain and fill as well?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
is the cummins only used for towing? or longer trips?
i run all 3 of my cummins trucks to 10-15K miles, regardless of time. one will take 2 years to reach that.
the dbl7349 is an affordable filter and i buy in bulk, even still with the low usage i would skip and do ever other filter on it.
and you have a bypass on the PS6.0? yes skip that filter maybe even twice. the bypass should catch most of it anyhow.

with both truck having bypass filters you can easly extend oil drain times out with a lab test. and filter changes.

the lowest mile cummins i have is over 350K. the oil is what ever is on sale. FYI.

Question for the OP, have you ever removed the filters and cut them open to see what they caught? IMO that would indicate if it's reasonable to leave it on for two OCI.

The Donaldson DBL7349 will easily go to 15k possibly up to 25k in a well maintained engine. I run the Donaldson on my Cummins with whatever 5w40 is on sale.

I have not, but it is reasonable for me to think, if my factory oci calls for 15k, and it is usually changed at 1/3 to half of that interval due to time rather than mileage, that it should be able to go another round.

Seems reasonable to me, however that is why I am here. To get the information of those more informed than I.

Save your money run the oil AND filters longer. A slightly dirty filter collects more dirt btw. Dirt sticks to dirt. True of any filter media. Run the oil and filter at a minimum to the factory spec OCI. With a bypass filter you can probably go even longer. Personally don't see the point of a bypass filter anyways. Wasted $$$$$$.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Save your money run the oil AND filters longer. A slightly dirty filter collects more dirt btw. Dirt sticks to dirt.

For air filters, yes. For oil filters, not really.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Save your money run the oil AND filters longer. A slightly dirty filter collects more dirt btw. Dirt sticks to dirt.

There are some interesting studies regarding alternating oil filter changes with oil changes due to the fact a dirty filter catches more dirt. So yes. It's true.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

There are some interesting studies regarding alternating oil filter changes with oil changes due to the fact a dirty filter catches more dirt. So yes. It's true.

Please post up the link(s) to the study.

It's also true that tests show dirty filters can lose efficiency because the increased delta-p causes captured debris to break loose from the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back