Filter Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some typical change intervals for fuel, cabin, and air filters for the average passenger car?

When it gets dirty. Seriously, I pull both cabin and engine air filters from both my 07 Civic's and examine them. They both see different driving conditions so the intervals are different. One does mostly highway and another is driven mostly city where A LOT of road construction is going on right now (driving through dusty roads) both filters are black after 15k miles where as the civic that does highway driving easily goes 25-30k miles before the filters are gray.
thumbsup2.gif

There is no set interval that suits everyone's driving style / conditions.

In SC I would change the Air filter 12k/1y whichever comes later. If you use your AC quite a bit in the Spring and summer 2y, if you don't use it a whole lot 3y.
Fuel Filter I just follow OE guidelines.

That is what my routine looks like, I am fully open to criticism but I have never had a problem.

Many of today's vehicles have a "lifetime" fuel filter built into the gas tank.

Cabin filters are usually changed between 20-40,000 miles.

Air filters are usually changed between 20-40,000 miles.

Fuel filter, about every 30k.......but yes, OldCowboy is right, many of the newer vehicles (my 07 and 08 Kia's for example....) had Non-serviceable Fuel Filters according to the dealer....changed out only when the fuel pump goes bad :rolls eyes: lol.....so much for preventative maintenance eh?

As far as air filters.....depends. I've been checking mine every oil change, and the oval filter is still good in my 88 Aries
smile.gif
But, now with all the construction going on through the I-95/SR-528 interchange......I'm thinking it'll be due for a change out here next oil change :p

Originally Posted By: outoforder
What are some typical change intervals for fuel, cabin, and air filters for the average passenger car?

My G37 has the "lifetime" fuel filter. The cabin filter should be about once a year, and the air filter something like every 48,000 km (but no time interval), with the usual notations about dusty service.

For the old Audi, the air filter would be changed whenever you had enough patience and time to do the two hour job.
wink.gif
Fuel filter was easy as pie, though.

I do the cabin air filters every spring after cedar pollen subsides. Air filter by looks and fuel filter varies by car from yearly to almost never because its a huge pain.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Fuel-20K Cabin-not sure Air-10k or 1 year

Actually, changing the air filter this often will lead to more dirt ingestion. OEM air filters are designed to flow more air than the engine can use to allow for the build up of a dust cake. It's the dust cake that helps increase the efficiency of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back