Ferrocene as Diesel Additive

Hello,

I have been researching a bit about ferrocene as a Diesel additive lately. Unfortunately there is not much to read out there on the internet.

In theory, the ferrocene is supposed to act as a combustion catalyst as well as a soot catalyst that helps burn the soot to ash at lower temperature levels, so that the DPF can regenerate better passively.

But ferrocene is a metallorganic additive, so I wonder about todays high pressure low tolerance injectors as well as having a metalorganic additive in the combustion chamber.
You do find bits of information about a redish coat in the combustion chamber.

Another theory is that ferrocen as a metalorganic additive will load the DPF its own residue.

So far I'm torn between the possible benefits (DPF aid in passive regeneration) as well as possible side effects.

I do know from my own experience with french diesel cars which are fitted with an FAP DPF, which uses Eolys, apparently a cerin (ceriumoxide) additive - as far as regeneration I never felt the car regenerating, I never had any issues with DPF clogging even with severe short tripping in winter. So that tells me that those additive based DPF systems seem to work really good.

Whats your experience and knowledge about that subject?

Thanks

Alex

Apparently according to this paper:
Particulate Matter is not reduced, altough Ferrocene should produce a cleaner, more complete burn
What is reduced altough: Emissions of hydrocarbons and CO.

So whats left for me to find out: Does Ferrocene help with passive regeneration by lowering the temperature needed for passive regen? That's what I'm most interested in.

On my older cars with first gen DPF I used to use 2 stroke oil for high pressure pump lubrication, since ULSD in Europe was introduced around the early 2000's.
Now on my new car, Euro6 + SCR cat I'm not too sure wether I want to add 2stroke oil as high pressure fuel pump lubrication. The question is wether it is still needed or beneficial with todays high pressure pumps. Todays high pressure pumps should have been engineered for ULSD long time ago.

Hi Alex, I have been learning about this as well and I believe the combustion catalysts adds a component to the fuel that 'supposedly' modifies the temperature that is needed for the combustion to occur. So in essence, starting combustion earlier for a more complete burn which reduces soot, therefore, improves DPF regens as a side effect. However, not many studies that prove this. I would stick to a premium diesel that meets at least a DW10B specification. There are higher specs out there for injector cleaning that even Schaeffer's does NOT meet.

There's different versions of Eolys, Eolys Powerflex uses Ferrocene I believe and is used in current generations of HDi engines. 50 euro per liter, but should be good for about 50.000 km...

Back