Feedback for Newbie with new vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been reviewing the wealth of information on this forum for the past couple of weeks and doing some of my own comparisons. This is one of the most helpful sites I’ve run across, and I wanted to get some feedback on my filter choice for my 02 Grand Am GT which has just reached 3000 miles. I decided to tackle the filter issue first, then move on to an appropriate oil.

The three filters I was comparing were AC ultraguard, K&N, and M1. After doing some searching locally, I found an AC Delco Service Center that can obtain ultraguards for my engine (it was actually interesting talking to the owner of the service center because he didn’t know that ultraguards existed). I’m guessing they’re leftovers from the last production run because I confirmed with AC Delco today that only the UPF44’s and 52’s continue to be manufactured—I was hoping to hear something different. I have been using K&N’s but decided to switch to the ultraguards until I can’t find anymore. Then I’ll probably go with M1’s.

The issue of bypass occurring with a more restrictive filter is still a bit unsettled for me, but I doubt that I’ll have a problem with that in my application. I’m not planning on doing any racing and have only been to 5000 rpm’s very briefly a couple of times when on a long trip. Also, my extended warranty requires that I change my oil every 3 months/3000 miles. I have toyed with the idea of a supercharger, but if that happens it won’t be for a while, at least until the new car warranty expires. Cost isn’t really a concern. It may be overkill using either ultraguards or M1’s, but I still like the uniformity of synthetic (or mixed) media. Then I wonder if I’ll really be getting maximum performance from them given my drain interval. Is it possible that the filter would barely have begun filtering at peak efficiency when the 3 months/3000mi is up? If that’s the case, then cost to benefit would make something like AC’s duraguard the better option.

Just wanted to check out my logic with all of you. There’s a lot of info and opinion out there to try and make sense of as well as a serious lack of it in some areas. Can’t help but think that I'm overlooking something.

Thoughts anyone?

I think you can't go wrong with the Ultraguard, as it's an excellent filter! Sure it filters down very small, which some feel might be a restriction, however AC Delco has test data showing it outflows all it's competitors with cold oil (although it doesn't compare itself to the K&N) The Ultraguard Gold uses a fully synthetic media, unlike the mixed media of the others, so this is how it's able to filter down so small while maintaining good flow. Based on your driving habits, I think it's going to work out very well for you.

Now onto your next challenge, choosing an oil!
grin.gif

Welcome to the forum you came to the right place. I think the AC Ultragards look like good filters, and you might want to order a quantity of them if you have a source. As far as the mobil 1 filter, you might look in the analysis section for some tests Bob did in which the M1 filter showed more wear metals than using a FRAM! Now there were more than one variable as I recall but it was surprising to see. The more restrictive media might have something to do with it but you can come to your own conclusions.

I personally like the K&N for the flow Characteristics and it's reasonably efficient. I haven't done any analysis yet so my opinion may change but that's what I'm using for now.

welcome.gif

I assume the engine is the 3.4 L? Certainly the Ultraguard and M1 are great choices. My son has an 01 GrandAm and we use the K&N. I assume you are using the oversize filter (PF-52- Can't remember the K&N#- HP-3001?) Anyway-I don't quite understand the warranty requirement of 3K miles
confused.gif

Personally I would just purchase Filters and oil to "Document" you changed every 3K
wink.gif
. Ridiculous to change at that milage. Besides the vehicle has an oil change monitor on it.

welcome.gif

Are they saying that GM doesn't know what they are doing with this monitor??
shocked.gif

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I knew there would be a few things that I’d need to consider. I hadn’t even thought of using an oversize filter, especially after reading the SHO article. So far, I haven’t had any problems with my car, and I’m a little leery of giving a dealer another reason to deny warranty work. Have any of you had any difficulty/problems with that?

Al, if I’m understanding you correctly, I can use UPF-52’s? The filter for my 3.4 is UPF 47. If I can use UPF 52’s, then I won’t need to worry about AC’s discontinuation of the 47. I’m using HP 1001 right now.

My extended warranty is through 1 Source, and I think they still haven’t stepped into the 21st century. That’s where that 3mos/3000mi comes from. It would be cheaper to “document” oil changes at their required intervals. I was definitely tossing that idea around. I’ll just have to keep a closer eye on the notoriously leaky upper/lower intake gaskets on the 3.4 between oil changes.

I belong to a couple of GT forums and have seen mixed results with the oil life monitor. Mine hasn’t lit up yet. Fellow GT owners have gone as far as 17,000 miles of daily driving before it indicates an oil change, while others have only gone 2000. I don’t know if this thing makes life easier or more complicated
confused.gif

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this board, especially when it comes to sifting through all the info on oil
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back