Fear of having children - serious discussion

Kids are serious decisions these days. You don't just pop them out and let them live on their own after 18.

Personally I think people won't know if they want kids until they are at least 30 years old. They won't know how wonderful kids are until they hit some serious trouble in life and they have no one else to count on, and they won't know if it make sense to have them until they are old and their spouses died, leave them all alone in the world.

It is not for everyone, and many people have them not knowing why. If you just want something cute get a puppy. If you want to save the world help your local foster kids program and mentor them. If you want a bond that is unbreakable no matter how bad things are, have your own biological kids, and raise them well after you know how to be a good role model.
Many people know LONG before 30 whether or not they ever want children. (I knew by age 13.)

I suspect MANY people regret having children, though most are not willing to admit it because of the social stigma. (Instead, many self-medicate with alcohol and/or drugs.)

Wow. You were very lucky.

One of my patients had male twins born at 24 or 25 weeks (don't remember exactly as that was more than 30 years ago). I didn't deliver them. When it was apparent they were going to be born (this all happened in the middle of the night of course) I had the mother transferred to a nearby hospital with a NICU. They set the record at that major urban hospital for the most premature surviving male twins. They were normal toddlers when I left general practice.
My brother was very premature, I think about 26 weeks. (Emergency C-section due to Rh-incompatibility problems.) Despite two months in the NICU, he is perfectly healthy. He was always the smallest one in his year at school. (He wore toddler sizes to age 5.) Then again, with Mom 4'11" and Dad 5'6", nobody figured the NBA was in his future.

Back