Fat Bike any Dolomite owners yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spend the extra and get a bike from Bikes Direct.

They are a much much much better bike for only slightly more money (ok, roughly double the money) than the dolomite. Weight alone they are over 10 pounds lighter.

I just rode a Gravity 29.3 through the Wausau 24 and Chequamegon 40 races. Though I've replaced quite a bit to use it that way it's a lot closer to a bike store bike than a department store bike. I have a Trek and Gary Fisher I could have ridden instead if it weren't up to the task.

Those are in all of the local shops from various manufacturers.

I'm guessing it is the next/new 'novelty' to come down the pike, and yes, they seem cool to just cruise around the neighborhood, down level, gravel, canal bike paths, or for the beach (IF they are allowed there).
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Those are in all of the local shops from various manufacturers.

I'm guessing it is the next/new 'novelty' to come down the pike, and yes, they seem cool to just cruise around the neighborhood, down level, gravel, canal bike paths, or for the beach (IF they are allowed there).
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

I'm sure they are a novelty to many, but for mountain biking in Wisconsin (and I would assume PA) they open up 3 months for outdoor riding that would otherwise be impossible. There are races and trails open that wouldn't really be rideable with normal or even 29+ tires.

It does bring up the point that the Dolomite would need a megarange freewheel upgrade, about a 20 dollar part, to be ridden anywhere "technical", whereas the BD bikes have a decent range and better tires if you do plan on using it offroad.

Another option might be the Minnesota bikes, which come with two sets of wheels. Fatbike wheel/tireset for winter and beaches and IIRC a 29+ or 29er wheelset for summertime. I think they have a couple under a grand for everything.

That Dolomite weighs 52 pounds. Someone brought one into a shop I frequent. We weighed it.

I build wheels for a shop that specializes in fatbikes. He sells Salsa, Surly, Fatback, 907, Ventana...
Nice stuff but money. Like Bepperb said, look at Bikes Direct. I can't believe how cheap they sell the Sturgis and a couple other models even with a Rockshox Bluto suspension fork.
I ride my 907 on Long Island beaches, on singletrack, in the snow... It's much more than a novelty. They're awesome bikes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back