Fast flowing filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use a filter that flows fast with low restriction. It will be used on my boat with straight 40 weight oil. Right now i am using a Purolator Pure 1, and i feel it has too much restriction for the thick oil. I used to use a FL-1A, but they are getting hard to find for me. I also heard that the FL-1A are the same as a Pure 1. Wix/Napa gold seem to have a lot of restriction also from what i have read. What is a low restriction filter? Supertech? Fram? Purolator premium plus?

The FL1-a is different then the Pure 1 and actually flows better. The best flowing filters would be a purolator premium plus, K&N and Baldwin. Wix and Supertech flow fairly well too.

-T

Looking at the oil filter tests on a website http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html it seems i would want to pick a filer that has the least amount of pleats, and the smallest or shortest filter media to have the least amount of restriction. It looks like the Fram would be the best if it didn't have the cardboard ends. Do they really have cardboard? I was going to buy one just to cut it open and see.

why would you want one with the least area? You want the most area and the least restrictive media. Fram is bad on both those accounts.

-T

The Wix 51515 (FL-1A) flows 7-9gpm..hardly restrictive.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
why would you want one with the least area? You want the most area and the least restrictive media. Fram is bad on both those accounts.

-T

I would think that with the least amount of media for the oil to flow thru would be the least restrictive.

quote:

Originally posted by Virtuoso:
The Wix 51515 (FL-1A) flows 7-9gpm..hardly restrictive.
smile.gif

I wonder what they are flowing at 7-9 gpm. 5w or cold 70w oil?

The oil doesn't flow through the entire media, only one point of it. The more area you have the less oil has to flow though one point, thereby reducing the restriction.

Imagine a garden hose vs. a straw the garden hose has more area and therefore can flow more.

-T

You want enough pleats/folds to have enough straight pieces of media, increasing the surface area, decreasing the restriction. Obviously every straight piece comes with a fold.
smile.gif
Where it begins to break down is when they cram too many folds in, the folds take over and the oil can't get in between to flow through the flat parts.

It looks like i need to get a Hastings, Donaldson, or Fleetgaurd. Who sells these? All i can find are Fram, Purolator, and Wix/Napa.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
Where it begins to break down is when they cram too many folds in, the folds take over and the oil can't get in between to flow through the flat parts.

So a filter with the least folds is better for flow. Ideally one with no folds would be the best. Although it might not filter the best.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I'd guess they have some effect but, were talking about a liquid under pressure here. In addition the base plate, center tube, or even the ADBV design could have some restrictive effect also.

check out these oil filter studies:

www.oilfilterstudy.com
-T

From the above referrenced oil filter study:

Excellent flow

"The Hastings, Donaldson, and Fleetgard all have excellent flow. Not surprisingly, they are also have larger pore sized media"

quote:

So a filter with the least folds is better for flow. Ideally one with no folds would be the best. Although it might not filter the best.

Again, it comes right back to increased surface area equal higher flow. A filter with no folds would have a minimal amount of surface area for oil to flow. Even worse, the flow that it does allow would diminish rapidly due to clogging.

Here's the deal, you want to increase the surface area as much as possible.

Think about this...our lung's surface area would strech out across hald a tennis court! Pretty serious surface area given the size of our lungs when intact inside our bodies.

So, with oil filter media, you want to be able to fit in as much surface areas as possible (more pleats) without stuffing the media so close together that it in themselves decrease the surface area.

The more pleats the better...to a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back