FAQ: Green/Gold German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read myself bleary eyed on the topic, and still do not have some basic answers. So, to help all us late-comers, here are some basic, very basic, questions.

1. German Castrol "Green"
a. what does the bottle look like? picture? url?
b. what is the viscosity?
c. what are the identifying marks?
d. Anyplace other than Autozone to get it?
e. what is the normal price?

2. German Castrol "Gold"
a. what does the bottle look like? picture? url?
b. what is the viscosity?
c. what are the identifying marks?
d. Anyplace other than Autozone to get it?
e. what is the normal price?

3. "Gold" vs. "Green"
a. what is the difference
b. why is that important to my 4-banger?
c. should I pass up on "Gold" and get Elf CRV?

grin.gif
Many, Many Thanks!
cheers.gif

63Avanti,

1a. It looks like the other Syntec bottles (there is a slight variation between pre-Katrina and post-Katrina bottles, but the post-Katrina and later pre-Katrina [after batch M0501] are The Gold Formula not The Green) (You will find the batch numbers stamped on the bottom). It has a red 0W-30 label on the front and says made in Germany on the back label.
1b. It comes ONLY in 0W-30.
1c. The red 0W-30 label (and now the yellow "European Formula" tag line on the front of the post-Katrina bottles [Gold Formula]) COMBINED WITH a "Made in Germany" designation on the back label. I emphasize that as there were some early 0W-30 red labled bottles that were not Made in Germany.
1d. Not in the US (in Canada there are a couple of other sources)
1e. Last I saw about $5.19 which is a bargain since it costs about $20-22 a litre in Europe.
2a-e See 1a-e above
3a. The Gold is designed to meet longer drain interval specs, particularly MB 229.5
3b. It may not be important unless you are shooting for an oil with "OCI reserve."
3c. Depends on what specs you are needing; if what you need is ACEA A5/B5, VW 503.00/506.00/506.01, then CRV is your potion; but if you want (and you engine is designed for)
SL/CF A3/B3,B4 MB 229.1 - 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502 00, 505,00, 503 01, then GC is your prescription. For an engine that is designed to accept them, I will take the latter specs (the GC) without hesitation EVERY TIME (and I am a fan of ELF oils...and, of course, Elvish oils
wink.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back