Fancy gear oil worth it?

Going to do some differential PM this summer in both F150s. Historically I would just run Motorcraft synthetic and not worry about it, but the Eaton posi in my 2011 9.75 is a really chatterbug and got it almost smoothed out with Amsoil SVG and a double shot of their FM. Now, I typically run a budget synthetic in the fronts as they see very limited use so that’s no worry there.

2011: stick with what’s working Amsoil 75w140 and maybe add FM if needed after or keep it simple and run Synpower from the local shop? When I installed the posi it went well but my bearing load was on the tight side of spec (40k miles ago)…

2018: this one is pretty simple, all factory with factory e-locker. Any reason to pay extra for the Amsoil? I figure any decent 75w140 will be totally adequate…

IMO find an oil that meets the spec and makes your wallet happier. I have spent lots of money in the past paying for Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol and other "top shelf" products. Not sure it helped any of my vehicles out live the salt that winter roads have...

I use brands like Citgo, Farm & Fleet, Mystik and Suepr Tech now with no issues...

just my $0.02

how often do you plan on changing it? if its 100k miles I'd spend and be happy.

if you are planning on 30k-40k mile changes maybe something cheaper.. except in the one that makes noise.

How much are we talking about saving? most 75w140 are over 10bucks so 10$ vs 17? x9?

My 11 doesn’t so much as make noise as the clutch packs seem to be super aggressive. So I like to run extra friction modifier.

As for OCI I do intend to run them for quite a while since these are 99% pavement pounding daily drivers that rarely tow.

when i purchased my 2011 fronty about 7 yrs ago it had under 30 thou on it but age as well as use contributes to a change IMO. i like + use Redline lubes + exclusively use their gear lubes. checking the Dana site as my 4 WD SV fronty uses a dana-nissan rear + they noted a REAL synthetic 75-90 as a good choice so i dumped the semi-syn OE 75-140 for redlines 75-90 + changed the rest of the drivetrain fluids with redlines recommended lubes + i gained about 3 MPGs a lot when 16 was the best i seen until averaging 19 these days, well worth the cost + it will prolly be in their until the end!!! retired + only drive as needed + only haul some coal about 4 times a year. my hot rod 2001 audi TT with its 4.25 qt sump + 300 hp + TQ gets redline oils but my DD Fronty gets Quaker State full fake synthetic

Last edited:
Good luck finding gear oil ... I had to order a 5 gallon jug from Tractor supply just to get some 80w-90 that wasn't in quarts. I go through it so quickly that I don't think botique oil is worth it for me. Usually after any sort of water crossing I have to drain / fill.

when i purchased my 2011 fronty about 7 yrs ago it had under 30 thou on it but age as well as use contributes to a change IMO. i like + use Redline lubes + exclusively use their gear lubes. checking the Dana site as my 4 WD SV fronty uses a dana-nissan rear + they noted a REAL synthetic 75-90 as a good choice so i dumped the semi-syn OE 75-140 for redlines 75-90 + changed the rest of the drivetrain fluids with redlines recommended lubes + i gained about 3 MPGs a lot when 16 was the best i seen until averaging 19 these days, well worth the cost + it will prolly be in their until the end!!! retired + only drive as needed + only haul some coal about 4 times a year. my hot rod 2001 audi TT with its 4.25 qt sump + 300 hp + TQ gets redline oils but my DD Fronty gets Quaker State full fake synthetic

I don't have time to find the videos, but there was one guy on youtube who recorded diferential temperature readings with 80w90 and 85w140 in a 18 wheeler. The thinner oil ran cooler than the heavier oil. I think maybe Rawze? I have been running 85w140 in the front because that's something the manufacturer of my automatic locker recommends but not a big fan of it.

changed the rest of the drivetrain fluids with redlines recommended lubes + i gained about 3 MPGs
Sorry Dude…. I’ve got to call you out on this! I’ve used Redline ( as well as Amsoil and Mobil1 ) and there’s NO WAY Redline got you + 3 mpg’s!

Hi. Can anyone tell me in what application can I use SAE 80 gear oil in my '98 Land Rover Discovery? Is it ok for the gear box or diffs? Transfer Case?
I have a few boxes of Spectro SAE 80 and SAE 85 'Transmission/Gear Lube' that i would like to use up.
Thank you.

Hi. Can anyone tell me in what application can I use SAE 80 gear oil in my '98 Land Rover Discovery? Is it ok for the gear box or diffs? Transfer Case?
I have a few boxes of Spectro SAE 80 and SAE 85 'Transmission/Gear Lube' that i would like to use up.
Thank you.
VEE ONE

Welcome to the board.

I think more people will notice your question if you start a new thread. This one is about a week old and is drifting from the original poster's question.

Myself I have a similar situation and use Amsoil and run it a bit longer than I would of using “lesser” gear oil.

Don’t know if it’s right but works for me.

Back