Falken or General

Status
Not open for further replies.
My coworker asked me what what tires he should buy for his 02 Dodge Ram 2wd. It has on it 265/70/17's. He said he was quoted around $800.00 for a 60K tire, and $700.00 for a 40K tire at Les Schwab. I have never bought a tire from them. They are way over priced for their Toyo's and Chinese tires.

I told him I will check out America's tires. I have bought over five sets of tires from them in last decade. They are #1 in my book. My local America's stock these two models for around $600.00.

Falken Ziex S/TZ-04

Treadwear 500
Speed rated T
Warranty 50,000 mile

$582.00 OTD

falra1.ang.jpg

General Grabber HTS

Treadwear 640
Speed rated S
Warranty None

$622.00 OTD

genrab.ang.jpg

He drives around 50 miles all highway to and from work. Seeing that his truck is 2wd. I was thinking the Falkens would give a smoother ride, do to its tread pattern, and he won't see any off road duty.

FWIW, Generals have been rated #1 in several tests/surveys. One can't tell how smooth the ride is going to be based on tread pattern. There are some AT tires which will ride better than HT tires. I have not used either, but I would pick the Generals.

I've had a set or two of General tires in the past they were always pretty good. The General Grabber HTS appears to have very good reviews on TireRack.com, so that would be my suggestion. For the most part, when it comes to Falken tires, I don't see good reviews in terms of treadwear. Keep in mind that a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty doesn't guarantee they're going to last that long. It just means that you'll get a pro-rated amount of money back if they wear out sooner. And you'll probably have to apply that money to another set. It won't be a cash refund.

Generals seem to get good reviews on Highlander forums. Not sure how much that equates to a fullsize pickup, but worth something I guess.

I have a few sets in use on my work Explorers 235/70/16. The reviews are right on. Smooth, comfortable, quiet and secure ride. Good traction (not really tested in snow by me..only a few times in mountains and slush). No flats.

Only negative is mileage has been less than advertised. Even being rotated and balanced every 5,000 miles, the first set bought when tire was first reviewed by Consumer Reports, was shot at 40,000 miles

I have a set of Falkens (Ziex 912, performance all seasons so not a truck tire) and they don't seem to wear well.

Of the two, I'd go with the Generals at 60k treadwear. They were in my final two choices for my Tacoma last month.

Went with the Yoko H/T-S also 60k 265/70-16, but at that time they also had a $40 rebate. My local DT store beat the DTD w/ free shipping price, mounted out the door price for $560 not including the rebate. Liking them so far, perhaps something to consider in a similar tire.

But, between the two, definitely the Gen's. And I agree, tough to beat DT/AT for price and service after the sale.

I have not owned the exact tires in question but General as a brand overall makes more better tires than Falken.

I have Altimax Arctics for my Saturn for winter... Great tires!!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have not owned the exact tires in question but General as a brand overall makes more better tires than Falken.

I have Altimax Arctics for my Saturn for winter... Great tires!!

I too have the Altimax Arctics for the winter. They are not a General tire.. They are made in germany by Gislaved for General.

They are just branded here under an "american" name.

In my experience, general makes so-so tires..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I too have the Altimax Arctics for the winter. They are not a General tire.. They are made in germany by Gislaved for General.

And both Gislaved and General are owned by Continental.

BTW, I have AAs, too.

Given the two choices, and that it is for a truck, I'd go with the Generals.

The Falken looks like nothing more than a glorified car tire.

Generals for sure.

And if your co-worker gets them installed on 7/23 or 7/24, he'll also get a $100 rebate. It's a two-day offer so he better hurry.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
And if your co-worker gets them installed on 7/23 or 7/24, he'll also get a $100 rebate. It's a two-day offer so he better hurry.

Considering the OP lists Portland OR in his display signature info, it's not likely his coworker would be able to take advantage of the Cali. only rebate promo.

fwiw, been happy with the General HP's on daughters Civic, but also got a great promo/rebate price on that tire at the time.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The General Grabber HTS and the top rated Truck/SUV tire on CR MAG.

I meant to say...Are the top rated truck/suv at consumer reports mag.

He went with the General's. Thanks for the help guys. He was happy I saved him over $200.00 for the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back