Fake NGK spark plugs

Alright well I have done my research and reached out to NGK directly with no response or concrete answers so I figured I would ask you guys. I purchased 2315 iridiums for my car from rock auto. I pulled the old plugs and compared them closely to the new ones. All looked fine till I noticed the logo on the new plugs do not have the horizontal line under the P of Japan like my old ones do. So curiousity got the best of me and I scrounged up every single ngk plug I could find around my shop and ALL of them had it. Should I be worried I got duped? I’m honestly to paranoid at this point to install them. Please help and thanks.

Attachments

• 2C172BF1-4E98-46B2-9531-3FF0A51B85B5.jpeg
    2C172BF1-4E98-46B2-9531-3FF0A51B85B5.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 513
I'm with everyone else... Return them... You could always take one to the local auto parts store and compare it to one they have.. But I say if you are worried, return them and run a different set.

If that’s the only difference I would run them in mine. Heck, install half of them and check in a couple OCIs to see how they are wearing. If all looks normal, install the other half.

If you compare them to others at a Local Auto Parts Store, I'd take a magnifying glass and look for any other clues.
Might help decide one way or the other.

Do an internet search for .... counterfeit NGK spark plugs.
Alot of photos of what to look for / fit, finish and packaging.

Last edited:
Alright well I have done my research and reached out to NGK directly with no response or concrete answers so I figured I would ask you guys. I purchased 2315 iridiums for my car from rock auto. I pulled the old plugs and compared them closely to the new ones. All looked fine till I noticed the logo on the new plugs do not have the horizontal line under the P of Japan like my old ones do. So curiousity got the best of me and I scrounged up every single ngk plug I could find around my shop and ALL of them had it. Should I be worried I got duped? I’m honestly to paranoid at this point to install them. Please help and thanks.
This is NGK's page for identifying counterfeit plugs. Although it doesn't appear to address the horizontal line, perhaps you can use the other criteria to make a confirmation:

Last edited:
I just purchased a set of NGK Laser Iridium plugs from Advance Auto Parts online, and they were drop shipped from the NGK facility in Illinois.

The boxes state the plugs are made in Japan. Japan is not engraved/printed on the plugs at all.

If you bought from and they were shipped from a reputable source, then I don't think you have any cause for concern.

Thanks for all the responses. They do look real and we’re purchased from rock auto which I’ve never had a problem with. I think I will still compare them at a local parts store for peace of mind. This is going in a turbo vehicle so they will be under extra stress. Thanks all.

I just purchased a set of NGK Laser Iridium plugs from Advance Auto Parts online, and they were drop shipped from the NGK facility in Illinois.

The boxes state the plugs are made in Japan. Japan is not engraved/printed on the plugs at all.

If you bought from and they were shipped from a reputable source, then I don't think you have any cause for concern.
Yes the "Boxes" are made in Japan, but where are the plugs made? ;)

The NGK page linked above lays out criteria for judging a plug’s authenticity. The embedded video specifies to make sure the plugs are purchased from an authorized seller.

Do your plugs meet the criteria listed on that page?

Did you purchase them from an authorized seller?

If the answer to both those questions is ‘yes’, continuing to expend time and effort into proving your plugs’ authenticity seems unnecessary and is unlikely to return much positive value for the effort investment.

There’s really a cult of NGK. Many people will refuse to use anything other than NGK plugs, even in low performance applications.

An autolite or champion for 1/5th the price will get the same job done, and since the people on this internet board change spark plugs well before the end of their (pretty much indefinite) lifespan it’s kind of pointless.

that being said just avoid ebay and amazon sellers

I'd return them and buy from an AUTHORIZED NGK dealer...is rock auto an authorized dealer, I don't think they are.

I agree about NGK being an obsession with a lot of backyard mechanics, anything from a major brand today (that isn't a fake)
is just fine to use, Nippon Denso, Bosch, Autolite, Delco, ect...all very good.

I called NGK when I had a issue and they verified based on markings. I had two sets of counterfeit plugs. I know now to only buy through authorized reseller.

Early last year, purchased a set of NGK laser iridium plugs for my 2015 MDX. Having read of some counterfeit NGKs on Amazon & Ebay, then found new ones from Rock Auto didn't look the same as the original plugs came off MDX, took some pictures of new and old plugs side by side and sent to NGK for clarification. Check attached images and screenshot from NGK and decide it yourself. Counterfeit NGK plugs do exist, but I don't buy anything crucial from Amazon or Ebay. I still trust Rock Auto 100%.

Attachments

• NGK email reply.JPG
    NGK email reply.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 546
  • Old & New (from RockAuto) 2.jpg
    Old & New (from RockAuto) 2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 498
  • Old & New (from RockAuto) 3.jpg
    Old & New (from RockAuto) 3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 552
  • How to identify FAKE NGK plugs.JPG
    How to identify FAKE NGK plugs.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 540
I spend a lot of time in Toyota and Honda forums and this is the first case of even suspected fakes from Rock that I've heard of. And those use a lot of NGK/NTK/Denso parts as OE.

Back