Fake NGK plugs on Amazon

Regarding the cardboard tunes. There is one commenter on one of the videos that states they once got clear tubing on a genuine product. Maybe from AutoZone? Not sure if believed, but. Just putting that out there.

Will definitely do. It will be installed in a 2017 HAH.

They were super friendly, supremely knowledgeable and didn't at all mind looking it up to see if they actually made those plugs and not some China factory putting NGK name on stuff.

I'd call. Kind of removes all doubt.

The phone number for NGK if you want to ask them based on Lot # if you have a real or fake plug if in doubt is
NGK CUSTOMER SERVICE
1-877-473-6767, dial #3
hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Monday-Friday EDT

Kira asked:
How did that conversation go?
By that I mean, how did you describe the plugs in your hand in detail enough for a factory rep to verify their authenticity over the phone?

So, they ask you for the plug model number and a 4 digit lot number on the plug.

If it's real, they tell you when and where they were manufactured.

If they aren't in there, they weren't made by NGK and they will probably ask you a bunch of other stuff like who sold it etc (I called one time and my plugs were genuine.)

It's very easy.

Last edited:
A related experience for me this week:

My 2008 Tahoe started getting fishbite misfires at idle. Mode 6 data showed mostly cyl 4.

Thought to myself, "can't be plugs/wires. Just installed them 2 years and 10k miles ago".

Swapped coils and injectors between cylinders. No change.

Pulled the Delco 41-962 plugs just to check. Sure enough, center electrode worn to nothing. Gap measured 0.072". Yeah, that's right. Almost a 16th of an inch. Installed at 0.040". Incredible.

I'd heard about "fake parts" becoming common. This is the first time I've wondered if I'm a victim of it or not.

Bought a set of NGK locally and fixed it right up. Hope they last longer.

In May 2019 I put a set of 4 NGK plugs from Amazon in an Acura TSX with 80K miles. I believe I paid $40...
These plugs should easily go 90K. Marc recently replaced them as the car was running poorly.
He got about 35K outta them.

So I have now bought 2 sets of fake plugs and 1 set of 8 fake coils for my Tundra.
It ain't so much the money; it is the betrayal; the breach of trust.
Hence why I don't shop for car parts on Amazon. This has been a problem for years

I've gotten 3 or 4 sets of fake NGKs on Amazon. If the price is too good to be true, believe it.
I will not buy any plugs from Amazon again.
But there is an actual NGK store on amazon, if NGK itself is selling fake plugs then that would be a problem

My car calls for new plugs regardless of mileage every three years (I'm not sure why) so I replaced them a couple years ago. They were NGK bought from Napa and they had cardboard sleeves, I remember specifically. Maybe the sleeves vary based on part number or factory or something. I'm also 90% sure the Rutheniums I put in my wife's Jeep about 5 years ago were cardboard too.

How did that conversation go?
By that I mean, how did you describe the plugs in your hand in detail enough for a factory rep to verify their authenticity over the phone?
I told them the number of the sparkplug, and they asked me to look at a part of the plug and what to look for.

Give them a call, they are easy to talk to.

They also gave me the proper torque specks (minimum and maximum), for that plug in the engine they were going into, but I asked them before they gave it.

Last edited:
If you have doubts, get your NGK plugs from here (aka, Monarch). The only downside is they're not RA prices. What price do you put on being able to sleep at night?

or

NGK_Monarch.jpg

I just got these from RA. Saw the cardboard tip protector and decided to view the videos. Pretty much everything else points to an authentic NGK plug.
73DcBSIgzgRuY5tCFEprwPm58vghPTApjmBrwNoAepmfmUbPoWiquJtRq497xNfMI3jO4GyB8FyWD3QIAmxdvZMpic3c6kMsFcdxyXb6IBlFEAvAcUjnoVvtYH_Gr6uPKOeu0bsYzrVfGabuJwQAQVBTTqxIs90nesZ98-3L-3mFXCu-Mmgx1m6YKZg_2Cs4tkedBBtctDzMZYrUtEp7HLj8uw23LYCA1nPoz5KN8KSWdfkq4ixGWDiYxeKACK6e_qFNueizlewAGllJcKGj4vKV7csAYNhKkY0YsDntPmiLvwei7pIi6KKlIyZU0Fc_q9bqCpyvIvmALL4Y-6WsAfz5veixsnXA_gCB4iJjjMmbfaM2cm88A2Vba6DtbUctE8DuFpd7PO59Ru9LK6nKp1aYdS2aJdjtwn_Vtwsq4okpcejgXZJve4oyYMZKa76Vogjd1ebRph2Pm53QCptON3hYXc7b3vPIUWQyY4S6_y7lSoBfKcyMrpTxQkBae_v_avoQ5weCGsAIC6Dvy0GdlqZJZej9qCLXaNLuq9rnp1xtfPyzWC4ypv5bMV9qR0tVGaeA23d0CQEbcxk4DMvwV8GcNmWYD2cWKCKNZg60UvJpdlN4viZsdoAzRUO5FakcrG_BGKzOaWyDcLqHMmkmYT9h8mgYHRBjXDfLJZaMm7EtfGHz5ZyrFIujnu5kvap6Aa9CZ6CCsAhSioLWkBmXREGohhOBlKHlKnTaQv_ZH0Zb1K90jfwMjOUbcnYpepdKHlFLvn2yCe6cmgjeH_GGC3DGuOPSuB6qB8_HcUVcjRYjfpB-PPFkBrG6YIEPvz4hK9MJ1_7DntvBxztbcTG-D5zrCWXKAURGJ4JakgR-KKirqbIiWyYUI66TklAhw8gygUmZZ_zAHoXdWKfyDgJd11zr5bYA7rJPMU5JGYEzbnJ0vYQu=w736-h980-no

I have bought several sets of NGK spark plugs off Ebay from seller "partscontainer" for more than a decade. They are a legitimate distributor and do not sell fake products. They are also an authorized seller of not only NGK, but Bosch, Brembo, KYB, Bilstein, and many other brands. They have really good pricing.

Back