Faint whine when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately when I start my Jeep, it makes a whining sound when cold (20*F ish.. plus a cold engine). I first thought it was the PS pump, but its the wrong side of the engine (the fluid is full btw). My next guess would be the alternator or tensioner pulley. (It's definitely not the driver.. He makes more of a loud whine when cold.
laugh.gif
) The sound always goes away once warm. I guess a good start would be to take the belt off and run the engine to check for noise. Maybe give the pulleys a quick spin to check for vibration too?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Probably alternator bearings.

Next question: Rebuild or just buy a remanufactured car parts one?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Probably alternator bearings.

Next question: Rebuild or just buy a remanufactured car parts one?

OEM remanufactured would be my choice.

Also, I suspect your tensioner and idler pulleys are due for replacement.

Ya know, i've had them last a long time especially if they only whine when its really cold. I'd wait until it whines all the time.

Does this vehicle have a fan clutch? If its a fan clutch, it will whine when cold, the whine will have a slight shreek to it.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Does this vehicle have a fan clutch? If its a fan clutch, it will whine when cold, the whine will have a slight shreek to it.

Nope. Just an electric fan thankfully.

Ya know, i've had them last a long time especially if they only whine when its really cold. I'd wait until it whines all the time.

Good idea. I think Ill do that. I tend to over analyze with maintenance issues.. I just dont want it seizing up while on the road. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back