Failed Media on Napa Pro Select - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 51515 (FL1A) sized Napa Pro Select was on one of my Land Cruisers (the '93) for a 3 month, 3210 mile OCI. Fill was Castrol GTX dino 10W-30. I cut this used filter open primarilly to be able to compare it to the also Wix manufactured "Auto Extra" that I just posted pics of here.

Well, I've read posts about brittle media in the entry level Wix made filters, but I usually use other brands (Puro, Motorcraft, Hastings), so I never personally experienced it before this. Well, I was pretty surprised to see this...

proselect.jpg

proselect2-1.jpg

This failure scenario had been brought up previously in this thread, but no photos were ever produced of the claimed multiple failures. I have cut open a LOT of filters both new and used before, and I have never felt such brittle media as in this filter. After I took the pics of the torn media, I literally could just poke my finger completely through the media...anywhere. It tore ridiculously easily. I even wanted to give the filter the benefit of the doubt and thought that somehow my cutting tool caught the media....but the tear is on the closed end side of the filter, completely away from the end that got cut open.

Again, I know this brittle media in certain lower end Wix made filters has been brought up before, and the consensus is that yes, it is brittle, but it stays intact when in use. That may be generally true, but it was not in this particular case. If this media's (for lack of a better word) "delicateness", is not an anomaly, I don't understand how this media that either is or becomes brittle can be acceptable. Isn't an engine just too hostile an environment with severe temperature fluctuations, vibration, and the pressure of the oil system for even the possibility of fragile filter media?

I don't completely know what to make of this because of the Auto Extra filter previously mentioned that I also cut open today. That filter seems to be almost identical to this one, and in new unused form, the media feels fine. I guess I am interested in hearing the thoughts of those on this great forum...

Originally Posted By: miraCRD
If this media's (for lack of a better word) "delicateness", is not an anomaly, I don't understand how this media that either is or becomes brittle can be acceptable. Isn't an engine just too hostile an environment with severe temperature fluctuations, vibration, and the pressure of the oil system for even the possibility of fragile filter media?

The media probably becomes brittle from the heat cycles. If media can't take the normal operating oil temps (around 200 ~ 220 F) over a normal OCI, then it's junk IMO.

Does this filter also have the funky "combo" ADBV/bypass valve? Could be the bypass valve doesn't work well, which caused too high a pressure delta across the media which caused a blow-out. Personally, I do no trust rubber "combo valves".

You can still continue w/ your 3 months/3,000 miles OCI,
but I would suggest upgrading your can to one that has a wire-mesh reinforced media (Royal Purple, Fram Extended Guard)
or an extended-drain capable can such as Mobil 1/K&N/TRD/Bosch D+/Amsoil and run them for 3 or 4 oil changes or 1 yr whichever comes first at your current interval and considering your engines are clean.

Does this have the funky "rubber" bypass, or the metal spring version?
Because I blew a 21521 ProSelect this morning at ~20 degrees out with 20W-50 oil. It had the rubbery bypass valve.
But before I rant on the ProSelect design, this is an aftermarket application with oil pressure regulation after, not before the filter.
(Still, I've never, ever blown a filter of any kind in 30 years of driving.)

Thanks for sharing.

I was already avoiding NAPA Pro Selects after my buddy had issues with internals loosening on two consecutive filters after use. Looks like they have more problems than just that.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Does this filter also have the funky "combo" ADBV/bypass valve? Could be the bypass valve doesn't work well, which caused too high a pressure delta across the media which caused a blow-out. Personally, I do no trust rubber "combo valves".

Yes, it indeed does.

Wow i'm shocked. I don't understand how the el' cheapo filters survive a whole OCI if they are this delicate. Hahaha.

I'm wondering if any of these 'quality' issues can be linked to some recent products from Napa/Wix being made in Mexico, etc?

Could you provide where this Pro-Select was made?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I'm wondering if any of these 'quality' issues can be linked to some recent products from Napa/Wix being made in Mexico, etc?

Could you provide where this Pro-Select was made?

Unfortunately, no. Box is long gone, and just checked the can...nothing I can find about where it was made. Either it didn't say on the filter itself or the label got mangled where it did say it, Sorry.

I'd be curious to see what that P/N Pro-Select says on the box in the store. Nothing against another country, but anytime you send manufacturing from one country to another, things aren't exactly always 100% the same. Not to say this happened here, but has me wondering because the 5/1334 I use Wix/NG for the Civic on 7.5k and shorter intervals has been made in Mexico for the last year.

I stopped using the NPS when i was flushing my FORD tractor one time and upon inspection the media is very thin and brittle snaps off with out much effort and thats was with only 5 hr's or so.

never use them again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back