FAA publishes SAFO regarding 5G interference with Radio Altimeters

Source Text

On the 23rd, the FAA published a Safety Alert for Operators (SAFO) discussing the risks associated with the expanded presence of 5G and its interference with aircraft radio altimeters. While interference with radio altimeters can cause problems at any phase of flight, it's impact will be most felt during the most critical moments of flight operations- takeoff, approach and landing.

The FAA wrote, "Initial deployment of 5G wireless broadband networks in the C-Band is expected to begin on January 5, 2022 and be limited to 46 predetermined areas known as Partial Economic Areas (PEAs). The FAA will issue NOTAMs to identify the areas, airports, and heliports where the radio altimeter is unreliable due to the presence of 5G C-Band interference. The NOTAMs will also note exceptions for operators holding an FAA-approved alternative method of compliance (AMOC) with the applicable AD".

The airworthiness directives (AD) mentioned are 2021-23-12 and 2021-23-13, should you want to read them for yourself. The FAA will issue four types of NOTAMs for the impacted areas, and offered examples of what they'll look like. Here's how the Instrument Approach Procedure is expected to read:
BDL IAP BRADLEY INTL, WINDSOR LOCKS, CT. ILS RWY 06 (SA CAT I AND SA CAT II), AMDT 13A… ILS RWY 06 (CAT II AND CAT III), AMDT 38A… RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 06, AMDT 1… RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 24, AMDT 1… PROCEDURE NOT AUTHORIZED EXC FOR ACFT USING APPROVED ALTERNATIVE METHODS OF COMPLIANCE DUE TO 5G CBAND INTERFERENCE PLUS SEE AIRWORTHINESS DIRECTIVE 2021-23-12​
This will be interesting to watch unfold, as erroneous radio altimeter inputs can cause issues with a lot of major systems, such as Windshear detection systems, autothrottles, stick pusher/shakers, etc. A more comprehensive list is offered in the linked SAFO. I believe Boeing and Airbus have already filed to slow down the implementation of 5G, but it will be worth keeping an eye on over the next little while. While it's not going to prevent operations from happening, it could result in slowing down the number of operations an airport can accommodate which would impact airline operations.

Well maybe they shouldnt have sold the frequencies for billions now they say that verizon etc cant use them fully? Give them their money back?

AT&T and Verizon have agreed to a two week delay of their 5G deployments. Obviously not a resolution to the problem, but it buys time.

So far, our RA are not malfunctioning in any way, but we are keeping an eye on them. We land at a number of congested airports with good 5g service.

I strongly suspect that while the frequencies can be the same, the modulation is different and the RA's recognize their own signal, in much the same way as a laser speed gun can work during daylight.

Seems like all of this should have been figured out years ago...

Isn't cellular spread spectrum (frequency hopping?) No one frequency is used, but instead a set of frequencies the equipment hops through. That likely reduces the impact on any fixed frequency system.

It's not like me using my cell phone knocks my wife off her call. The system is designed for multiple simultaneous users and they are not using a fixed frequency for the call, if I understand correctly.

Yeah thats what we need more fried brains, like we don't have enough now. I see cataract surgery's as being the new big thing on the horizon as well.

Back