F250 Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if I mentioned it a while back,my cousin gave me his old truck, a 1999 F250 ex cab long bed 2wd, 223k miles with the good ol 7.3 Powerstroke, runs excellent, but needs a few things. I have decided to sell the Ranger to my mom and I'll put the money in the F250, which hopefully will last for a good 9-10 more years. Things that need to be addressed are the ball joints, wheel bearings, and the steering, steering is very sloppy. I hope parts arent hard to come by as its technically an early 99, the transition from the 97 fords to the 99 Super Duty, this truck was built in June 98 but classified as a 99. Also The gear shifter on the steering column is sloppy, my buddy said its bushings that need to be changed. My biggest concern is the rust on the frame, driver and passenger side, about a 20 inch section on both sides, right where the bed drains in the front. Saltwater must have sat there as the front bed rail is pretty bad and the frame is very rusty but no through rust. The rest of the frame is excellent. I'd like to pull the bed, needle gun or wire wheel the flaking rust, and coat and paint it with something. Whats the best product and method to use? How far do i need to go as regards to rust removal?

As far as modifications, I cant leave it bone stock, I plan on welding in a 3.5" muffler and cat delete pipe, different intake(factory one has tabs that easily break and mine are broken) and a DP tuner along with A-pillar gauges. Should be a reliable truck for years to come.

Not that I can tell. Alot of rust flaking off but it still has plenty of "meat". I'll have to drop the fuel tank to the coat the inside of the rail on the drivers side. alot easier once the bed is off.

If you can find one of the donaldson factory air intake upgrade kits floating around somewhere they are the best thing since sliced bread in filtration. Utilizing Donaldson's Powercore technology.

Last edited:
POR-15 is "just OK" in my opinion

Since you asked for opinions,

I'd say after it's cleaned up well, paint it with MIL-PRF-23377 (Type II, Class 2) two component epoxy polyamide primer. You can get it from any number of sources, most any paint company makes it.

It is the ONLY paint I have ever seen in my life that will take a hemmer blow. It takes a LONG time to cure/dry though.

"Needs a few things"? Like ball joints, steering column replacement, shifter replacement, and frame sectioning? The mere absence of "rust-through" isn't a reasonable measure of structural integrity. The truck is crusher-ready. Don't waste another hard-earned dollar on it.

Frames are pretty strong on those-this isn't some Toyota/Dana pop can metal frame-it might be repairable. The 7.3 PSD (in it's last design) is the best Ford light truck diesel around, & the 4R100 is no slouch either. Nobody's "giving" them away around here, rusty, or not!

That 4R100 is the weak link in that chain, I've seen plenty of them give up with no warning if they were worked hard without updated parts!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
These trucks run forever up here ... even after the body collapses.

Same in Texas.

You will NEVER EVER EVER find a Powerstroke Diesel in a wrecking yard for more than 48 hours. People are on waiting lists all over - the instant the truck arrives at the yard, calls are made & it's picked apart into *nothing*. One of my friends goes with his dad to the wholesale auto auctions and buys running & driving Powerstroke & Duramax trucks with the sole purpose of parting them out. They're making decent money at it, too. With so many of these trucks still on the road, the demand for parts is always "way up there".

People in Texas keep these trucks running for 300k, 400K or more miles... just weld some new metal on where it needs it most! My old IDI 7.3liter F-350 has over 300K and will likely be kept going after I'm dead. It's a flatbed with a hydraulic bale spike, so it'll always have a buyer ready for it. Once I find a decent 5.9 Cummins or powerstroke for my '79 F350, this one will sell... in about 48 hours.

Originally Posted By: EricG
That 4R100 is the weak link in that chain, I've seen plenty of them give up with no warning if they were worked hard without updated parts!
We had 4R100s (behind later 7.3 PSDs) make it past 600K without being rebuilt. The E4ODs, not so much...
15.gif

Originally Posted By: khittner
"Needs a few things"? Like ball joints, steering column replacement, shifter replacement, and frame sectioning? The mere absence of "rust-through" isn't a reasonable measure of structural integrity. The truck is crusher-ready. Don't waste another hard-earned dollar on it.

Thats just silly. Everything sounds very repairable with some question about the frame (hard to say without seeing it in person). Just depends on the OP's ability and how much he values his time.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: khittner

Thats just silly. Everything sounds very repairable with some question about the frame (hard to say without seeing it in person). Just depends on the OP's ability and how much he values his time.
Maybe he should junk it & buy a 6.0 or 6.4?
lol.gif

Can I text someone the pics of the frame and they can post it in this thread? I'd really appreciate it, and I could get better opinions from yall.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Also The gear shifter on the steering column is sloppy, my buddy said its bushings that need to be changed.

If you get under the dash you will see the shifter cable attached to a lever that is bolted to the column, the two bolts attaching the lever to the column will be loose, they are torx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back