F-150 Camper Shell Recommendation?

I’m looking at cab height camper shells for my 2019 F-150. I like the looks of the Leer 1000XQ and the RSI Smart Cap is interesting. What cap do you like (or dislike)?

I’ve done this twice and ended up with ARE both times. ARE compares well with LEER. Both times i ended up with ARE due to what seemed a more reliable latch mechanism. the only hiccup I’ve had is that the side window didn’t fit well into my current ARE, either it was installed wrong or molded improperly. I fixed the water leak with clear caulk and moved on. Both shells were bought new, painted to match the vehicle and handle my 210lbs on top of them. I’d be fine with a Leer as well. My first one was a basic model at $1500 and the current one is the next step up for around $1800. Truthfully, the lines on the cheapest $1500 model were just as good, now having owned both. The only thing I might change if I were to do it again would be to buy the taller variant.

I had a cab-height aluminum cap on my 2004 Colorado that had side windows that opened for access to the bed. It wasn't as attractive as a bespoke fiberglass cap but it was extremely functional. It was made by Swiss Caps in Indiana.

Image.jpg

Last edited:
I worked for both Leer and ARE. In the end, they are about the same, what is more important is your local dealer who will take action when there are issues. On my company trucks I had better luck with the aluminum models but I was selling to fleets so the aluminum was more aimed at them. Fiberglass is still hand sprayed on each and every shell no matter who makes it.

RSI is a newer company, the basic design was so wholesale distributors could bypass the Leer/ARE fiberglass dealer networks and sell to anyone. They are all pricey as can be anymore. An old co-worker is the VP for RSI, he;s been there since the launch on the US shores.

I had basically that same leer back in 2011. Mine had crank out side vent windows. I had issues with the rear latch all the time but probably mostly due to gravel dust. Had a few times I had to yank the tail gate open to the point where I took the covers off the cables to the outer latches to make it easier to open after I opened the tailgate because the center handle was stuck. The side windows also sagged a little to where the gap around them wasn't even and the lower back corners were hitting the shell and rubbing. The inside of the bed was always wet or damp

My local dealer carries Leer and RSI, there is a ARE dealer in my county that I will contact, no Swiss dealer within 300 miles.
It appears RSI is having supply/delivery issues right now
Any input on Leer 100XR vs 100XQ? It’s $1000 difference in price.

My local dealer carries Leer and RSI, there is a ARE dealer in my county that I will contact, no Swiss dealer within 300 miles.
It appears RSI is having supply/delivery issues right now
Any input on Leer 100XR vs 100XQ? It’s $1000 difference in price.
The basic shell is the same. It's in the options, ie windows, doors, headliner etc.
Last I heard, and this was in the fall, the lead times on all the fiberglass companies was off the charts. This could have changed by now.

What dealer are you using? Campways?

I think the sweet spot for camper shells is at the very bottom of the accessories list. Fold down front window for cleaning is about as far as I go. I can (and do) add my own interior lights. Interior carpet was free on my current one but I don’t care - it doesn’t do anything but look pretty. ARE uses solid push/pull bars for the latch, while LEER uses pull cable opposed by springs.

THE INSTALLER matters. they seal against rain water and wire in that 3rd brake light.

Back