F-150 buying advice.

I hope so? To be honest I didn’t look because once I felt like my engine was decent I figured 10-30 early on would be a safer bet than the rare chance it failed from an oil-related issue with 10-30.

There are a lot of different opinions about the longevity of the ecoboost motors vs their complexity. Plenty of RV forums show nothing but love for the longevity of the engines. When I look under the hood of my 2.7, I too am reminded of the complexity of boosted motors, BUT, the power/performance/efficiency I’ve seen in mine has been worth it.

oil leaks at 120k? Totally believable, but I’m not sure I’ve owned a vehicle that wasn’t leaking somewhere by then.

I’ve also not been under the hood of a 3.5, but a turbo replacement on the 2.7 looks pretty accessible. Not that I’d expect them to need it by then unless you’re really working the truck. I sold my turbo Volvo with 160k miles on it and that engine ran and looked like it was new. Being that Ford owned Volvo for a while, I suspect there was solid technology sharing there.

i personally prefer the quicker snap of the 2.7 eco with the graphine block, but wouldn’t be afraid of owning a 3.5. Most of the issues I’ve known of are cooling line o-rings, leaky plastic oil pans, and the occasional timing guide wear - that one worries me more than the others - I run a heavier oil in mine due to that concern.
Good info from someone thats used them. I know of a good deal on a 2018 f150 xlt supercrew 4x4 that has 120k miles on it. Am told by a good friend its spotless, 99% highway and taken care of. It has an ecoboost but wasn't sure it it was a 2.7 or 3.5. Thoughts btwn the two?

I test drove both. The 3.5 makes stupid power, like, a lot of it. If you’re towing something BIG, you may want that. i enjoyed the 2.7 more as a daily driven vehicle as the torque rolls in so early and fast and the turbo delay is very small. And frankly, the 2.7 generates significant HP numbers by itself - we tow about 4000 of square-front RV trailer and even in the mountains it has more power than needed. It’s quite capable of out-driving the surrounding traffic, which is not safe, so we just relax and go up the hills with everyone else. I wouldn’t turn either engine down, but I personally prefer the 2.7.

I test drove both. The 3.5 makes stupid power, like, a lot of it. If you’re towing something BIG, you may want that. i enjoyed the 2.7 more as a daily driven vehicle as the torque rolls in so early and fast and the turbo delay is very small. And frankly, the 2.7 generates significant HP numbers by itself - we tow about 4000 of square-front RV trailer and even in the mountains it has more power than needed. It’s quite capable of out-driving the surrounding traffic, which is not safe, so we just relax and go up the hills with everyone else. I wouldn’t turn either engine down, but I personally prefer the 2.7.
I have a 2019 5.0 and I like it other than the weird VCT solenoid rattle when really cold. I like the way it drives and the mileage is great for a V8. I drove the new 2.7 in a 2021 and I liked it. I wouldn't mind having it in the future as I don't consistently tow anything heavier than dirtbike/ATVs or a boat. 2.7 has plenty of power for that and might be one of the best Ford engines for reliability.

Just wait a few months. When gas hit's a national average of $4, people will just about be giving these full size V8 trucks away.
No, they won't. The people who buy these know that is always a possibility. Hell, I figured *potential* $7 a gallon into my cost when I purchased my F150 in December.

Still chugging along on my 2016 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. Still rocking 21mpg over 119,000 miles on my truck. Some of the lifted trucks with 35-37's on the ground may be looking for a break but they chose the "look" over the mpg's to start with. My girl looks the same and performs way better than the 4.6 liter F150 I drive at work.

Back