F-150 buying advice.

My fiancé's son has a 2014 F150 four door 4x4 with the 5.0 that he bought new. He has around 215-220,000 miles on it and the only thing he has had to have done was the timing components replaced at around 190,000 miles. The rest of the truck has been rock solid.
Good feedback, thank you. I have to say, that would be a bit disappointing to my dad if he had to put up with timing work at that mileage. His current Chevy 6.0 has over 225K and the engine has had no such issue.

Good feedback, thank you. I have to say, that would be a bit disappointing to my dad if he had to put up with timing work at that mileage. His current Chevy 6.0 has over 225K and the engine has had no such issue.
Did I miss what oils he used for 225 K?

Different engine design between the two. The Ford 5.0 has duel overhead cams with long chains, cam phasers, and related timing components while the 6.0 is an overhead valve design with a single cam. Her son also changed the oil by the OLM which for his long distance driving for work has been coming out to around 9-10K using 5W-20 Motorcraft blend.

The timing components in these modular engines don't live forever unfortunately. I would probably tell your dad to change oil every 5,000 miles. I have the 5.0 in my 2014 Mustang GT and change mine every 5,000 miles regardless of what the OLM says and I also do that in my fiancé's 2017 F150 with the 5.0.

My 05 Silverado with 214k has had many minor repairs over the past 17 years but nothing as serious as timing chain components. The most expensive single repair would be the sending unit rusted out and started leaking fuel so they replaced the sending unit and pump.
I'm curious how much $ the timing chain repairs were.

In any case you want the 5.0 v8.. NOT the 5.4 three valve under any conditions. The new ecoboost 3.5 twin turbo is also not a great long term engine. Manuals are way better than auto trans. And autos if purchased should have had fluid changes on a regular basis.
Ford has long oil change intervals. You only want one with changes at 6000 or 7000 miles.

I have owned my ford 2001 superduty 20 years.. and I took care of e350's and expeditions for work.. a fleet of them. My serious recomendation is to get a toyota tundra. Much much better truck.

Based on what exactly?
My friends experience at the shop he works at is that every single one they see for oil changes etc has oil leaking from the turbos once they are over 120k miles. I also know someone who blew the turbo's and then the engine after saving up to replace the turbo's on his Taurus SHO...but I don't know if I have the whole story. I would still take one over the 5.4 3v any day.

My friends experience at the shop he works at is that every single one they see for oil changes etc has oil leaking from the turbos once they are over 120k miles. I also know someone who blew the turbo's and then the engine after saving up to replace the turbo's on his Taurus SHO...but I don't know if I have the whole story. I would still take one over the 5.4 3v any day.
Interesting. There are a lot of stories of engines blowing up and engines going 300k miles on the F150 forums. I'm beginning to think it's all luck of the draw these days.

The Triton 2v is a good engine.
I favor Ford trucks but would seriously think about GM.
the ohc in Fords newer engines has chain rattle on start up.
too bad on AFM in the GM engines.
Perhaps a Toyota Tundra is a solid choice?

The Triton 2v is a good engine.
I favor Ford trucks but would seriously think about GM.
the ohc in Fords newer engines has chain rattle on start up.
too bad on AFM in the GM engines.
Perhaps a Toyota Tundra is a solid choice?
He got a 2014 f-150. Drives like a dream. He loved it. I drove it around this evening running errands and admittedly I like it a lot.

There are a lot of different opinions about the longevity of the ecoboost motors vs their complexity. Plenty of RV forums show nothing but love for the longevity of the engines. When I look under the hood of my 2.7, I too am reminded of the complexity of boosted motors, BUT, the power/performance/efficiency I’ve seen in mine has been worth it.

oil leaks at 120k? Totally believable, but I’m not sure I’ve owned a vehicle that wasn’t leaking somewhere by then.

I’ve also not been under the hood of a 3.5, but a turbo replacement on the 2.7 looks pretty accessible. Not that I’d expect them to need it by then unless you’re really working the truck. I sold my turbo Volvo with 160k miles on it and that engine ran and looked like it was new. Being that Ford owned Volvo for a while, I suspect there was solid technology sharing there.

i personally prefer the quicker snap of the 2.7 eco with the graphine block, but wouldn’t be afraid of owning a 3.5. Most of the issues I’ve known of are cooling line o-rings, leaky plastic oil pans, and the occasional timing guide wear - that one worries me more than the others - I run a heavier oil in mine due to that concern.

There are a lot of different opinions about the longevity of the ecoboost motors vs their complexity. Plenty of RV forums show nothing but love for the longevity of the engines. When I look under the hood of my 2.7, I too am reminded of the complexity of boosted motors, BUT, the power/performance/efficiency I’ve seen in mine has been worth it.

oil leaks at 120k? Totally believable, but I’m not sure I’ve owned a vehicle that wasn’t leaking somewhere by then.

I’ve also not been under the hood of a 3.5, but a turbo replacement on the 2.7 looks pretty accessible. Not that I’d expect them to need it by then unless you’re really working the truck. I sold my turbo Volvo with 160k miles on it and that engine ran and looked like it was new. Being that Ford owned Volvo for a while, I suspect there was solid technology sharing there.

i personally prefer the quicker snap of the 2.7 eco with the graphine block, but wouldn’t be afraid of owning a 3.5. Most of the issues I’ve known of are cooling line o-rings, leaky plastic oil pans, and the occasional timing guide wear - that one worries me more than the others - I run a heavier oil in mine due to that concern.
Just out of curiosity, what heavier oil are you using? I've been sticking with 5w-30 Castrol/Valvoline while under warranty.

Just out of curiosity, what heavier oil are you using? I've been sticking with 5w-30 Castrol/Valvoline while under warranty.
Just a full syn 10-30. Mostly penzoil platinum, though it seemed quieter on Castrol syntec. Pretty sure penzoil has the ford turbo-friendly rating while castrol does not. I realize “at temp” they should be the same viscosity, but over the long haul the 10-30 remains consistent in noise whereas the 5-30 does not.

Just a full syn 10-30. Mostly penzoil platinum, though it seemed quieter on Castrol syntec. Pretty sure penzoil has the ford turbo-friendly rating while castrol does not. I realize “at temp” they should be the same viscosity, but over the long haul the 10-30 remains consistent in noise whereas the 5-30 does not.
I don't think WSS-M2C946-B1 is limited to 5W-30 grades. Is it possible for a 10W-30 to be eligible?

Back