F-150 buying advice.

F150’s have plenty of issues, but paint is not one ive run across all that often. And I spend way to much time on the F150 forums.
It takes a few years to show the paint defects, hopefully. Corrosion and peeling is better but not ideal. On a vehicle costing $50-$100k it should be near perfect.

We both know that you can absolutely take any problems of a multi decade old vehicle and irrationally hate a newer version that shares nothing but the name here on BITOG.
My 2 Jeeps are 18 years apart, one is American AMC, the other is Italian-German. Their flaws are very much unrelated. Hard to believe they have the same badge on them.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 220728.png

That's fine but most people use theirs as daily drivers with just themselves inside. Then it's more like 14-15 mpg around town on a good day.
You know what happens when you assume... It doesn't mean they aren't hauling ATVs and dirtbikes, a boat, or lumber on the weekend. I don't pull and haul everyday with my truck, but when I need it I have it. I'm not going to be one of those idiots trying to pull an 18 foot boat or a 4 place trailer with a car or small SUV because I can save $20 in gas. It isn't safe. My wife drives it to work only a few miles during the week and it averages 17-18mpg. That doesn't cost me enough to justify the cost of another vehicle/insurance, etc just to get better mileage for a daily driver.

2011: Harley Davidson and Raptors (Standard), Availible on Lariats and Platinums with Max Trailer Tow
2012: Same
2013: Raptor (Standard) Available on XLT, FX2 or FX4, Lariats, and Platinums
2014: Same

King Ranch never offered the 6.2 - only the ecoboost engine.
Must have been an option like you said in that year range, but I have never seen one. This is what I found:

Ford 6.2L Boss Engine - Vehicle Applications​

VehicleTransmissionDrive WheelsHorsepower (hp) @ RPMTorque (lb-ft) @ RPM
Ford E-Series (2017 - 2019)Six-speed automaticRWD385 @ 5,500405 @ 4,500
Ford F-Series (2011 - 2014)Six-speed automaticRWD / 4WD411 @ 5,500434 @ 4,500
Ford F-150 Raptor (2010 - 2014)Six-speed automaticRWD / 4WD411 @ 5,500434 @ 4,500
Ford Super Duty (2011 - 2016)Six-speed automaticRWD / 4WD385 @ 5,500405 @ 4,500
Ford Super Duty (2017 - present)Six-speed automaticRWD / 4WD385 @ 5,750430 @ 3,800

The point of this post is to get some input on these model F150’s.

My 2012 has been pretty good. Known issues are evap purge valves on top of the throttle body and the plastic pin for the gas door backs out and the spring won't close the door. The purge valve is an easy and cheap repair and to fix the gas door issue, I removed the assembly, reset the pin and spring and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the pin and used a very small screw/washer to keep it from backing out with a dab of grease for lube. That was 6 years ago. The rear axle vent tube can crack and flop off. I trimmed it, reinserted and used a zip tie for retainment - fixed.

My truck is lifted 3" and runs 33.5" LT rated Kenda Klever RT tires. I treat it more like a 3/4 ton and it does well. Coming home from our annual friend & family NH ATV trip, I averaged 14.5MPG's pulling 4 quads and stuff on my 18' utility trailer. Around town, it's probably getting 16-17 empty. We don't drive it much as I have a company car/gas, so it only had about 70K miles on it. Overall for mileage, it's not too far behind the Stinger as my wife gets about 20-21mpg and uses super. Overall, I've been happy with mine.

I have to comment regarding the 3.7 being a better choice over the Coyote if you don't tow more than 4,000 lbs....No way.
Yeah, it's a 60HP difference, but 100 lb-ft difference in torque. The mileage numbers are only off a couple of points. The driving experience will be much better in the V8. I have direct experience as my company used to have 3.7L F150 for parts deliveries in Boston.

We both know that you can absolutely take any problems of a multi decade old vehicle and irrationally hate a newer version that shares nothing but the name here on BITOG.
Yea- sometimes many are in the "Twilight Zone" on here! Good post!

He ended up choosing this truck. Hasn't picked it up yet. Ill try and post some pictures when he does.

The paint on my parent's 2000 Expedition (white) is holding up surprisingly well, but of course we are in Canada where the sun is a bit less intense. The black on our 2002 Expedition held up very well too. Heck, even the paint on my old '89 Town Car was very good.
The paint on my old 88 grand marquis (gifted from my friends dad before he passed away) still looked like new, while the frame disintegrated underneath over a single winter. The engine and trans held up to some heavy abuse doing delivery driving, trans crossmember broke and had to limp it back to the shop I worked at with only drive and the fan hitting the shroud. A new Cross member was fabricated and it finished the winter out. The aod trans is in my friends 79 f150 now.

The paint on my old 88 grand marquis (gifted from my friends dad before he passed away) still looked like new, while the frame disintegrated underneath over a single winter. The engine and trans held up to some heavy abuse doing delivery driving, trans crossmember broke and had to limp it back to the shop I worked at with only drive and the fan hitting the shroud. A new Cross member was fabricated and it finished the winter out. The aod trans is in my friends 79 f150 now.
Krown or Rust Check, lol. My old townie was sprayed every year and it held up incredibly well, rustproofing is key, as you discovered, lol.

Krown or Rust Check, lol. My old townie was sprayed every year and it held up incredibly well, rustproofing is key, as you discovered, lol.
That car was only occasionally driven by the old man as a second vehicle, summer only... But the previous owner likely never did undercoating. 170k miles on it when scrapped.
My 83 Caprice still has a like new frame and floor to this day but the vinyl roof caused major damage underneath. It looked like new when I bought it 12 years ago (always garaged before I got it) but it started to crack and let salty wet slop get in and eat it around the windshield until it started leaking inside. Very sad as it would have lasted another 40 years judging by the condition underneath. Glad my Cutlass does not have a vinyl roof. It's pretty hard to undercoat underneath that stuff. I did all the undercoating myself on the Caprice every year and every 5 years or so I would clean it down to the bare frame, sand it and paint it before undercoating.

The local Krown in Kingston Ontario will miss half of your vehicle but they'll make sure to get all the plastic sprayed lol. I started taking the truck to rust check and paid extra to get the half year respray. It was a lot more work spraying the truck than the cars especially with no lift.

My father has been in the market for a new (used) truck for a few months now. He has insisted the help of my brothers and I to be on the lookout for one that may suit his needs. His list of requirements is short. Full sized with a V8.

The truck he is replacing is a 2002 Silverado 1500 with around 215,000 miles.

He found a 2014 F150 5.0 4 door with 100,000 miles. Super clean inside and out. I don’t know the trim but it’s a base model of some sort.

He had me test drive it and it drove great except for a slight driveline clunk when getting on/off the gas. Every f150 from this era that I have driven has done this. Not sure if it’s cause for alarm or not.

Anyway, I encouraged him to find a newer, lower mileage option but he seems happy with this one.

The price…$19K. Seems like a decent price. He knows the seller, an owner of a shop who also sells some vehicles on the side. The only history I know of is it’s a one owner vehicle and it has a tow hitch.

No pics at this time, sorry. I’ll find a google image if requested.

The point of this post is to get some input on these model F150’s. I’m not THAT familiar Siri them. I can see Car Complaints has little to say in the way of negative reviews/problems. Just want to make sure he ends up in a solid ride for the next 10 years (+/-). He drove his last truck into the ground, but he got that one with only 30k miles. 100k is a different sorry, at least in my eyes, even though this example is super clean.

What say you all? Bite for $19K or keep looking for lower mileage / newer option?
I have a 5.0 in that generation. Has been a pretty good truck, but watch Out for the water pump. Mine went at about 62,000 miles or so. Some of the transmissions 11-13 had some type of Lead Frame issue in the 6 speed Transmission where it could downshift from higher speeds and feel like you got rear ended. Not saying it’s a bad truck, but stuff to be aware. The transmission might have a TSB or recall. Not sure of that.

At what point did the auto industry switch over to aqueous paints? That seems to be the issue. I believe your Panther dinosaur was pre EPA mandate.

At what point did the auto industry switch over to aqueous paints? That seems to be the issue. I believe your Panther dinosaur was pre EPA mandate.
I'm not sure the answer to that. I know that I'm having issues with spray paint on construction sites and was told they made a change to the formula because it exasperated Covid symptoms or something like that. Doesn't take much to mess up paint I guess.

My fiancé's son has a 2014 F150 four door 4x4 with the 5.0 that he bought new. He has around 215-220,000 miles on it and the only thing he has had to have done was the timing components replaced at around 190,000 miles. The rest of the truck has been rock solid.

Back