F-150 2.7 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I understand the issue with the front drive 3.5 Ecoboost waterpumps.

Since this thread is not about the 3.5 Ecoboost, I am wondering why folks may feel there is an issue with this application. Two different motors after all...
I think that is where the fear comes from.

Thanks for the replys on the 2.7EB engine. I am impressed with the engineering on this powerplant. I am hoping to go long term on this truck and enjoy it for over 200k miles with very few problems, just good preventative maintenance. I have no plans to "tune" this engine or make any modifications. I'm going to use it as designed, including the auto-start feature, occasional tow, daily driver mode/family truckster.

Is there somewhere that I can read up on blending viscosity for a vehicle. The 5W30 with a quart or two of 0W40? Or am I just being silly to contemplate? Gonna chalk it up to that unless I read something compelling about mixing in the crankcase.

I'm not using any oil with this engine so I don't have to worry about topping off. I'm going to stick with the 5W30 unless/until the UOA says too much shearing.

We bought an F150 with the 2.7 this past spring and love it. It currently has about 16,000 mi. currently with 5w-30 synblend Citguard, no noticeable increase/no make-up on the dipstick. I do follow the IOLM on all of my Ford vehicles and will UOA at the next interval which should be about 20,000 mi. on the odometer/ 10,000 mi. on current change.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: Danh

You may be right. But gearing is so tall on vehicles these days that I'm not so sure that highway cruising isn't bordering on a high load/low rev situation, especially with high profile vehicles pushing a lot of air. It's the only explanation that fits the fuel dilution I find in my 2015 CRV after a 400 mile highway run with a 2.4 liter engine pushing a lot of frontal area at 40mph/1,000 revs.

For the 2.7L ecoboost, what this thread is about, it's not anywhere to close to high load/low rev on the highway. The vehicle is completely different from your CRV so we can't draw any comparisons.

Its a little motor saddled with lots of aero drag running at potentially even lower rpms than an NA CRV. That's the point of putting a smaller turbo on a small motor, so it can make torque at low rpms and hp without reving the motor up and wasting fuel due to air pumping and engine friction losses.
I doubt a 2.7 EB is spinning along at 2500 rpm in top gear at 60 mph, perhaps not even at 80 mph?

Checking in here. I ordered my '16 F150 late last year with the 2.7EB 2wd, 3.31, XLT Sport. So far, it is a perfect truck and I am a huge fan of the power delivery and Auto start/stop. So peaceful at long stoplights to not have the idle shake! Modern engines are so smooth anyways that it hardly matters.

I'm at 7600 total odo miles with one oil change at 3,000 miles just for peace of mind.
I used the OE filter and standard M1 5W-30 since the 5 quart jug was cheap and I've had great UOA out of M1 in past engines.

I'll post an analysis here when I drain this 5W-30 at the indicated time by the built in clock. Mine appears to be counting down slightly faster than 10,000 miles ( I think the owners manual mentions that the oil life system uses other factors than mileage? ) .

Ps: For what its worth, my 2.7 with 3.31 gears is

Last edited:
Thanks John, sounds like we have similarly equipped trucks. I am still learning about what all the F150 can do, there is a lot of technology in this vehicle. (kinda scary but really cool) Looking forward to your UOA on the M1 5W30, every time I've used it in the past I have always had a report that said I should try to run longer OCI. I am up to 8500 and should be able to go to 10k on a high mileage camry 4cyl.

Have y'all considered something really esoteric? How about Motorcraft? I ran my 3.7L to the iolm limit (8,300 miles) and tested. It was fine. I estimate that I had at least a thousand miles cushion on top of that.

Ford is by no means perfect, but engine durability is clearly a company strength.

I'd turn my attention elsewhere. Change the diff. Change the transmission fluid and filter early.

Get after the cosmetics of the thing. Check out the detailing forum and develop a plan that efficiently maintains the interior and exterior appearance of the truck so you don't mind keeping it for the long haul.

Update, so far 8500 trouble free miles with my ecoboost F150. I'm still impressed with the 2.7 TT V6. Mileage is around 21mpg and I have not had any of the problems that I have read about on the other forums. It all works, no leaks or other issues and is simply a pleasure to drive.

Rereading my post I'm sure I'm probably overthinking the thing but at least it keeps my mind off of other things and my hobby is tinkering so I have that going for me. Just gonna stick with 5W-30 synthetic on sale and motorcraft filters. If I change around 5-6k miles I don't think I can go wrong.

Just a reminder to all with the ecoboost 2.7 engine.

There is no shortcut to the oil change, let it drain 20-25 minutes. I've done two so far on the engine and never had an overfill.

Took my truck to the dealership for the first dealer service oil change, after setting overnight in the driveway I checked it and it showed almost 2 quarts over. The oil change itself was uneventful and they torqued the lug nuts correctly on the tire rotation. I think there was attention to detail except for the duration of time to drain.

The fast lane at the Ford dealership trying to service as many vehicles with the least amount of time waiting and the oil didn't drain out fully. When I drained it out it was dark. I'm not sure if the old oil left in the engine was the cause or if it gets that dark so quickly with the 2.7 being a boosted engine.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
Rereading my post I'm sure I'm probably overthinking the thing but at least it keeps my mind off of other things and my hobby is tinkering so I have that going for me. Just gonna stick with 5W-30 synthetic on sale and motorcraft filters. If I change around 5-6k miles I don't think I can go wrong.

Good idea, I think it's usually wise to stick to factory specs.

Finding the same problem with even the dealership quick lane oil change... Just checked the last oil change, and sure enough I'm about 2 quarts over. Off to the dealership to get that fixed.

The first oil change took some time, as expected. Oil level was correct. The second one felt like it was too fast, and sure enough it was. Also noticed my fuel mileage took a ding.

Love having to point out there is a big sticker right next to the dipstick stating you have to wait 15 minutes.

Direction on the next service will be: I know servicing this one takes time. Please do it correctly!

Other than that, I love my 2.7 powered F150. 11,000 miles in and no other issues...

Older thread but as a recent new 2.7 owner, I thought I'd chime in.
I traded 2012 5.0 F150 (bought new, traded at 100,000 miles)on the current 2.7EB. Both trucks are the 157"wb Lariat's. I used 10,000 miles as my OCI with the 2012. Seldom added any oil between changes.
Currently with 3000 miles on the odometer, my 2.7 hasn't had an oil change yet. I change my own oil and have already bought a supply of Motorcraft filters and 5w30 Motorcraft semi/synthetic. I'll drop the factory fill at 5000 miles and then decide how long to run between changes after that. I'm considering 7500 mile intervals with this one.
Early on I'm seeing full tank fuel mileage averages in mid 21's, with the current tank showing 22.2.
Careful when checking or having the oil changed. There is a sticker close to the dipstick that says to wait 15 minutes after shutting the engine off before checking the oil. I think they're not allowing enough time. I checked my oil the 1st couple of times with the engine having been off for a couple of hours. Both right on the full mark. Last week I checked it after having a trip to the office and having left the truck off for approx 15/20 minutes. 1/2 quart down. I re-checked it at home later that day after it had sat nearly an hour. Right on the full mark. When I do oil changes I'll allow at least 30 minutes for the oil to drain.
2.7 seems mighty small to a guy that was raised in the 1960's, but this engine is something else. Plenty of power. Coming directly from a 2012 5.0 Coyote, I have NO complaints.

I've had LSPI a couple of times with my 2016 WRX (turbo, direct injection, 6-speed manual).

Each time, it's happened at a low-rev, higher-demand situation such as being in 6th gear at 65 mph on the highway and then opening the throttle 50% or more in order to make a pass. Boost kicks in, cylinder pressures spike, engine management can't react fast enough, and, boom, you've got LSPI. Feels like a little knock, a stumble/hesitation from the engine for a second.

Probably not a concern with the F-150 since it's an automatic transmission that probably reacts very quickly and downshifts to get the engine up into its preferred range to prevent any cylinder pressure spikes.

Update now at 13,500 miles. Everything is running smoothly and Castrol 5-30 is happy in the 2.7EB. Learning how to get the best mileage out of the truck is somewhat challenging and (for me) takes away of the enjoyment of driving this truck. I'm occasionally towing a 10ft trailer as we start a cross town move. Much more stop and go traffic than my normal drive has pushed the mileage down quite a bit. That's the only change when towing is mileage. The truck doesn't seem to even know the trailer is back there.

I am enjoying having a full size truck again and so far this new F150 has exceeded expectations. Like all the others I think it's overpriced but if I can I'll ride this horse to the finish line. OCI will be between 5-6k miles based on my driving and just because it will make me feel better about life in general I'm changing to 10w-30 for all my vehicles including the 2.7EB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back