F-150 2.7 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a truck since 2014, finally decided to get one this year and wound up getting a 2016 F-150 SuperCrew 2WD 2.7EB with 3.31EL rear axle and tow package. I researched the different engines for about 3 months before getting a 2.7EB. Forgive me if I am repeating any threads, if you post any links to BITOG about the 2.7 that would be helpful, but I haven't found much by searching.

I bought in October 2016 with some really outstanding incentives. The used truck market is almost the same as the new market at this time in my area and has been for about a year. I wanted to buy used but with 2012 and up models from Toyota and Ford going for prices that put them within 3-4k I picked new so I could get the 2.7EB that came out in the 2015 model year.

I have enjoyed the truck and it has all the power that I need for a 4DR family hauler / occasional tow rig. My mileage is running 22.2 mpg right now and is impressive because it's in a full size truck at interstate highway speeds more than half the time. I changed the factory fill at 2k and changed again at 5k to put me on schedule. My plan is 5k OCI until UOA tells me different.

So now the question, don't beat me like a rented mule... what oil? Some background to help all the opinion generators decide: I'm in central Texas with mild winters and blistering summers. My daily drive is 72-75 miles round trip and I will tow but it will be 6-10 times a year of an enclosed single axle trailer 5k lbs max. I am getting up to temp and keeping it there for 40-60 minutes each way. Some stop and go (depending on where the wrecks occur) but mostly I keep moving with some slow downs 20-30mph. This is my first turbo engine and I know this is the future and the technology has changed since the earlier models have come out which brings me back to the what oil question.

I understand with direct injection and the boost of twin turbos that there will be oil dilution. How much and when depend on quite a few variables to be sure but won't I be flashing off most of the fuel with the drive I'm doing daily? Manual calls for 5W30 but I would like opinions on 0W40 as either a complete fill or maybe a half and half fill with the 5W30. I am not brand loyal, I buy where the sales are and try to get all I can. I generally buy wallyworld 5qt jugs cause it's a bargain. I have motorcraft filters sitting on the shelf in the garage so I'm set there. The first two oil changes were Mobil 1 and had a little effect on overall mileage but that could have been any number of things. Plus the engine is still in break-in till 10k in my opinion so I will hold off on judging that for now.

So,again is my oil choice sound? And opinions about my blend are welcome. Thanks guys!

Ford seems to have made some fuel dilution progress in these engines, but I'm not sure highway driving "flashes off" dilution like it used to. I could be mistaken, but it seems DI engine makers inject extra fuel in low rev/high load situations where LSPI could occur, which may include highway driving conditions. So dilution could actually get worse in some types of highway driving.

In terms of what oil, I wouldn't overthink it and would use Mobil1 5w-30. This has a low calcium/high magnesium formulation that is intended to prevent LSPI; I don't believe this is true with 40-weight offerings. And maybe do a UOA with a lab that uses gas chromotography to determine fuel dilution (Polaris is one) to see how thIngs are working and what OCI is appropriate.

Interesting point, I haven't considered the fact that highway driving may be more of a culprit to dilution. I can tell you that oil changes of the 2.7EB have been black, thin, and have high fuel odor to them. The cartridge filter has looked new each time.

I've used PPPP or M1 5w30 in my 2.7L. I tow towards the upper end of the trucks limits and never run into any power issues. My last couple UOAs have been interesting. I'm still sticking with the 5w30. If you're not towing then you will burn the fuel off on highway runs. Running unloaded I stay out of the boost at 70 mph but with the 3.73 gears.

Here's a few things I've learned with the truck:
- The oil life monitor just counts down miles. I've not been able to get it off of a 10k OCI.
- The MPG readout on the dash is at least 10% optimistic.
- Stop/Start is great and implemented very well for this truck.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Ford seems to have made some fuel dilution progress in these engines, but I'm not sure highway driving "flashes off" dilution like it used to. I could be mistaken, but it seems DI engine makers inject extra fuel in low rev/high load situations where LSPI could occur, which may include highway driving conditions. So dilution could actually get worse in some types of highway driving.

In terms of what oil, I wouldn't overthink it and would use Mobil1 5w-30. This has a low calcium/high magnesium formulation that is intended to prevent LSPI; I don't believe this is true with 40-weight offerings. And maybe do a UOA with a lab that uses gas chromotography to determine fuel dilution (Polaris is one) to see how thIngs are working and what OCI is appropriate.

The extra fuel in high load situations is used for a number of reasons including to keep the temps down. If you are running down the highway unloaded you are low rev/light load and no where near LSPI. One reason auto makers like automatics is that when you mash the gas they can shift to get into a more friendly rev range.

To get low rev/high load you would need to be towing which would be putting additional heat into the system. Even though you are getting more fuel into the crankcase you a burning it off that much faster.

I have pretty much the same pick up as you, though a 2015. I can not add much but so far I love the truck. There are several Used oil analysis posted that are good to look at and some 3.5 UOAs as well to ponder. What oil ? Any oil that meets the specs and makes you feel good.

Originally Posted By: Tdog02
I've been looking for a truck since 2014, finally decided to get one this year and wound up getting a 2016 F-150 SuperCrew 2WD 2.7EB with 3.31EL rear axle and tow package. I researched the different engines for about 3 months before getting a 2.7EB. Forgive me if I am repeating any threads, if you post any links to BITOG about the 2.7 that would be helpful, but I haven't found much by searching.

I bought in October 2016 with some really outstanding incentives. The used truck market is almost the same as the new market at this time in my area and has been for about a year. I wanted to buy used but with 2012 and up models from Toyota and Ford going for prices that put them within 3-4k I picked new so I could get the 2.7EB that came out in the 2015 model year.

I have enjoyed the truck and it has all the power that I need for a 4DR family hauler / occasional tow rig. My mileage is running 22.2 mpg right now and is impressive because it's in a full size truck at interstate highway speeds more than half the time. I changed the factory fill at 2k and changed again at 5k to put me on schedule. My plan is 5k OCI until UOA tells me different.

So now the question, don't beat me like a rented mule... what oil? Some background to help all the opinion generators decide: I'm in central Texas with mild winters and blistering summers. My daily drive is 72-75 miles round trip and I will tow but it will be 6-10 times a year of an enclosed single axle trailer 5k lbs max. I am getting up to temp and keeping it there for 40-60 minutes each way. Some stop and go (depending on where the wrecks occur) but mostly I keep moving with some slow downs 20-30mph. This is my first turbo engine and I know this is the future and the technology has changed since the earlier models have come out which brings me back to the what oil question.

I understand with direct injection and the boost of twin turbos that there will be oil dilution. How much and when depend on quite a few variables to be sure but won't I be flashing off most of the fuel with the drive I'm doing daily? Manual calls for 5W30 but I would like opinions on 0W40 as either a complete fill or maybe a half and half fill with the 5W30. I am not brand loyal, I buy where the sales are and try to get all I can. I generally buy wallyworld 5qt jugs cause it's a bargain. I have motorcraft filters sitting on the shelf in the garage so I'm set there. The first two oil changes were Mobil 1 and had a little effect on overall mileage but that could have been any number of things. Plus the engine is still in break-in till 10k in my opinion so I will hold off on judging that for now.

So,again is my oil choice sound? And opinions about my blend are welcome. Thanks guys!

Using 0w-40 is not ford approved. But I should be posting a M1 0w-40 UOA here shortly on a 3.5L ecoboost.

Getting to be a decent number of us here with this engine. I have a 2016 Supercrew 4x4, currently at 8500 miles. Not a lot to add to whats been said - happy with the truck and engine combo. Not having a V8 stopped bothering me a very long time ago.
smile.gif

M1 is a fine choice. Currently, I am using Motorcraft 5w30 and dealership changes. No UOA's to back it up, but I'm OK with that for now.

Cant believe Id be hearing 2.7L anywhere near full size pickup.

Im not seeing how the ford specified oil is bad/wrong, especially if theres no uoa to justify a problem.

That said, if you're using it for heavy load/towing, going up a grade isnt the worst decision.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Cant believe Id be hearing 2.7L anywhere near full size pickup.

It's crazy how far we've come. Heck that we'd contemplate boosted engines for daily drivers--they've always been around, but not all that common.

Many threads ago I looked up the weight of the 4.6, 5.0 Coyote and the 3.5 EB. The Coyote and EB was rather close in weight, like getting close to 500lb. Quick look reveals my memory is off; 449lb (dry) for the 3.5L and 440lb for the 2.7L. Not sure what the 5.0 weighs. But I was surprised at how close these motors were in weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

I have a 2011 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I change the oil every April and October with Mobil 1 AFE 0W30. I do not do UOAs but I've had the same regimen for almost six trouble free years of driving in temperatures ranging from -35C to +35C. The oil level does not move at all on the disptick, knock on wood.

Last edited:

My ride is a 2016 F150 XL Sport Supercab 4x4 with the 2.7 Eco. I think the reason this feels so strong is that max torque is in at 3000 RPM. I run QSUD 5W30 in mine. It is quiet, and the oil has a low volatility. I just broke 12000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Danh said:

In terms of what oil, I wouldn't overthink it and would use Mobil1 5w-30. This has a low calcium/high magnesium formulation that is intended to prevent LSPI; I don't believe this is true with 40-weight offerings. And maybe do a UOA with a lab that uses gas chromotography to determine fuel dilution (Polaris is one) to see how thIngs are working and what OCI is appropriate. [/quote

The extra fuel in high load situations is used for a number of reasons including to keep the temps down. If you are running down the highway unloaded you are low rev/light load and no where near LSPI. One reason auto makers like automatics is that when you mash the gas they can shift to get into a more friendly rev range.

To get low rev/high load you would need to be towing which would be putting additional heat into the system. Even though you are getting more fuel into the crankcase you a burning it off that much faster.

You may be right. But gearing is so tall on vehicles these days that I'm not so sure that highway cruising isn't bordering on a high load/low rev situation, especially with high profile vehicles pushing a lot of air. It's the only explanation that fits the fuel dilution I find in my 2015 CRV after a 400 mile highway run with a 2.4 liter engine pushing a lot of frontal area at 40mph/1,000 revs.

Originally Posted By: Danh

You may be right. But gearing is so tall on vehicles these days that I'm not so sure that highway cruising isn't bordering on a high load/low rev situation, especially with high profile vehicles pushing a lot of air. It's the only explanation that fits the fuel dilution I find in my 2015 CRV after a 400 mile highway run with a 2.4 liter engine pushing a lot of frontal area at 40mph/1,000 revs.

For the 2.7L ecoboost, what this thread is about, it's not anywhere to close to high load/low rev on the highway. The vehicle is completely different from your CRV so we can't draw any comparisons.

On the 3.5 eco in one of the front drive SUVs the water pump is internally mounted, a really poor idea.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Using 0w-40 is not ford approved. But I should be posting a M1 0w-40 UOA here shortly on a 3.5L ecoboost.
I called Ford and asked the customer rep about using a 0w-14 and she said that Ford would have to prove the oil caused the damage to void the warranty.

I understand the issue with the front drive 3.5 Ecoboost waterpumps.

Since this thread is not about the 3.5 Ecoboost, I am wondering why folks may feel there is an issue with this application. Two different motors after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back