EZ Pass issue that EZ pass wont correct

I have an EZ Pass transponder that does not work. When I go through the toll booth and the message states no tag proceed. It then takes a picture and eventually I get a bill without a penalty. I called to tell them my issue and to swap out the transponder but was told I would have to pay I believe $10 to replace it . I told operator this doesnt make sense as I am trying to make their life easier. Needless to say I still have the defective transponder. I dont know how this could make sense on any level

I am amazed that your state still issues transponders. Many states have gone to vision systems that read the license plate. I was just in Florida and this was the case there. The rental car clerk told me that Florida still can support transponders but that license plate reading is what they are using going forward. Not sure how true that is, but that is what the rental clerk told me.

Here in WA if you sign up for an account online then they bill you the same lower toll rate as having a transponder. As far as I know this is a relatively new thing.

I have an EZ Pass transponder that does not work. When I go through the toll booth and the message states no tag proceed. It then takes a picture and eventually I get a bill without a penalty. I called to tell them my issue and to swap out the transponder but was told I would have to pay I believe $10 to replace it . I told operator this doesnt make sense as I am trying to make their life easier. Needless to say I still have the defective transponder. I dont know how this could make sense on any level

More than likely, the battery in the transponder has been depleted. If you actually go to an EZ Pass service center, they can test it and replace it at no charge if the battery is bad. I had one replaced last year for free after they confirmed that it was not functional. I suspect the person who you spoke with over the phone just did not want to bother with the replacement process.

Yeah I had a bad one before and they'd only replace it for free once they tested it and found that it was bad. Otherwise they charge you.

$10 every ten years for not having to stop and hand out cash is well worth it. I don’t remember now if I had to pay when I had one die now, but it would be well worth it to me.

I would just keep driving through and letting it take pictures.

I have always thought it was stupid they charge for these things, especially the new little RFID stickers that cost them pennies.

Here in Texas the TxTag system uses a very small sticker, and they give it to you for free.
I don't even bother with that anymore, the last 4 vehicles I purchased, I just added the license plate of the vehicle to the system online and get charged by photo.

This whole year I just go from MD. to Florida and back three times as I don't have a EP. And all cash toll booths are closed and I just run through because there is no way to pay and I never got a bill sent to me.
Weird.

This whole year I just go from MD. to Florida and back three times as I don't have a EP. And all cash toll booths are closed and I just run through because there is no way to pay and I never got a bill sent to me.
Weird.

They'll figure out who you are, once your license plate racks up enough fees. They're not going to bother, just to recover a few dollars.

I go over a toll bridge, in another state, twice a year (vacation). They only contact me for money, once I go over it for the fourth time.

I am amazed that your state still issues transponders. Many states have gone to vision systems that read the license plate. I was just in Florida and this was the case there. The rental car clerk told me that Florida still can support transponders but that license plate reading is what they are using going forward. Not sure how true that is, but that is what the rental clerk told me.
Maybe because in northern states snow would possibly fully or partially cover a plate where a transponder wouldn’t have an issue?

I would just keep driving through and letting it take pictures.

I have always thought it was stupid they charge for these things, especially the new little RFID stickers that cost them pennies.

Here in Texas the TxTag system uses a very small sticker, and they give it to you for free.
I don't even bother with that anymore, the last 4 vehicles I purchased, I just added the license plate of the vehicle to the system online and get charged by photo.
They charge for everything.

That is the operating theme

I've had EZ pass transponders in my cars for at least 25yrs. It's been some time, but I'm probably on my 3rd or 4th version of the transponders. For me they just sent out new ones w/ a postage paid envelope to mail them back the old one.

I have had issues over the phone with them in the past. I try to do everything online that I can. Never visited one of their service centers. I wasn't sure they still existed.

Back