Explorer and Ranger Caster/Camber Question

My '99 Explorer Eddie Bauer doesn't get driven much and has a hair over 75,000 miles on it. I noticed it started to pull right when I let go of the steering wheel and since I was due for new tires (dry rot with 11,671 miles on the Continentals since 2015), I decided I would wait to have an alignment done until after the new tires were installed. Under heavy braking, it will pull right immediately, which is quite dangerous.

I had a look at the front suspension and everything appeared to be in good order, except the stabilizer links which have to be replaced. Control arm bushings are good, ball joints are good, nothing out of place. But I did notice the passenger side front tire sits further back (about a half inch) than the driver's side, which is probably the cause of it pulling right, requiring constant steering correction.

With new Pirellis installed, I took it to a reputable shop and was told they could not do anything for camber/caster; just toe. The truck's never been in a collision, the frame and everything is straight. However, the rear leaf springs were replaced almost a year ago and the front torsion bars were adjusted to accommodate for the change in ride height. It sits higher now than it did stock. I'm assuming this is the cause of the problem.

I had a closer look at the upper control arms, and noticed the adjustment cams are part of the control arm bolts, they are welded. The "cams" are also square shaped. For those with more experience, would I be able to correct the problem with an aftermarket cam bolt kit and take it for an alignment? At this point, if this works, I would probably also replace the upper control arm since I'm already in there, instead of reusing a 21 year old part. Thanks! (y)

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger and will be replacing my Upper Control Arms next year.
I noticed the Passenger Side has a two piece Upper Control Arm / Driver Side is one piece / yours the same ?
ALL of the (passenger) replacement UCA are one piece.

I was planning on using the Cams with Bolts to make alignment easier.
Here is a link asking about using Cam Bolts

From watching You-Tube videos, it looks like Camber and Caster can also be aligned.
You-Tube Video explaining Cam Bolts

Last edited:
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger and will be replacing my Upper Control Arms next year.
I noticed the Passenger Side has a two piece Upper Control Arm / Driver Side is one piece / yours the same ?
ALL of the (passenger) replacement UCA are one piece.

I was planning on using the Cams with Bolts to make alignment easier.
Here is a link asking about using Cam Bolts

From watching You-Tube videos, it looks like Camber and Caster can also be aligned.
You-Tube Video explaining Cam Bolts

I had these installed on my front end on my last alignment. My truck steers better than when it came from the factory.

Back