Exploded Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm driving up to the mall to sears to get the socket I need for the cartridge filter case to change my oil. I get off the highway, and am sitting at the light on the off ramp, behind a 2000ish malibu. Suddenly, a blast of steam from under the hood, and underneath the car, like clouds of steam. Concerned, I motion for him to pull over (he's about my age, a little older. He has a sticker for a local college on his back window, for this past semester). Well, turns out he's a classmate in one of my classes so I help him out. He starts it, still spewing steam, and limps a quarter mile to mcdonalds, 4-ways on, me following him (I Have nothing else to do today really, so why not?)

Anyway, he parks it and I park next to him. His girlfriend parks next to me in her new mercedes. It's a 2000 Malibu, [censored] condition. Rust, beat up, etc. They were moving to a new house, and he said that it had been acting up, it seemed to be working really hard to maintain highway speeds. Then, BAM it just dies and starts spewing at the light.

Pop the hood, and it's coolant steam. You can taste it. It's the 3.1L V6, with 169k miles. The steam is emnating from the back of the engine, underneath the ignition coils and stuff, behind the rear bank. There is just a ludicrous amount of steam, and coolant leaking onto the ground underneath and all over the engine. He has no idea if the LIM gasket has ever been changed, he's had it for 8 years.

So we go into the gas station next door, fill up a big bucket with water, bring a cup back. The coolant resovoir is completely empty. He lives about 2 miles away, and I ask him what he wants to do. He asks what I recommend. I tell him I'll let him know.

So I dump the water into the coolant resovoir, (no point in adding AF as it's clearly just dumping straight out) and good lord, that engine must have been HOT, I've never seen anything like it. It leaks out, and I try to crank it. It barely starts, but it's not happy about it. I shut it down again, and check the oil. chocolate milk. Lovely. So at this point I figure either his LIM let go, or headgasket. I can't really tell easily on this engine. Let the engine cool down for a minute. I leave my car there, and he goes with his girlfriend. It's almost impossible to keep it running, he wants to park it in his driveway, and is going to junk it, he's been wanting to trade it in for a while, and just hasn't gotten to it.

Fine, I figure. So I drive it. Spewing steam, interior is falling apart. Temp gauge busted. CEL glaring orange. Amazingly, it starts to run okay, even though all the water I dumped in had drained right back out again. It runs the 2 miles or so to his house, and it continues to idle in his driveway. I tell you though, that engine was hot. You could feel it from 10 feet away with the hood open. But it still ran. Parked it, they dropped me off back at my car and thanked me for the help.

So what's the verdict, LIM or headgasket blew? It's just incredible to me that the engine ran, and ran as well as it did at the end considering there was ZERO coolant in it. Those engines are tough, even if the gaskets suck.

Could be both, but hopefully this is the first time it overheated and can take it this once without a head gasket failure in any way. You've got to worry about the bearings, too.
cry.gif

Still, I'd compression test it after replacing the LIM gasket and run it on T5 from Wally World(if that is suitable for his vehicle?) until I verified the coolant entry into the oil no longer occurred(in case the LIM gasket install is botched in any way and he can monitor coolant levels in case a slight HG failure is allowing slight coolant entry by way of seepage but it is 'passable' for a compression test), also a UOA later on doesn't hurt...but again how much longer is he going to keep the car?

So, right away I'd do a 'brief' rinse cycle on the cheapest dino/filter ASAP once the LIM gasket is replaced($500 or less parts + labor). Frankly, I'd do that in the driveway right now if I knew my next drive(tow?) was to the shop to have it performed. Get the coolant out of the oil!

While at the shop, provide another round of cheap oil/filter, and ask the mechanic to change the oil while waiting on the LIM gasket to cure(assuming it's a fel pro permadry help kit anyway).

Compression test it AGAIN, perhaps another 2-3 months later and if the compression hasn't changed much at all(assuming the first one is within spec), it may have survived and the car isn't bad off. Then, he can sell/trade in with clean conscience you know.

I'd like to see a sample of oil used to 'rinse' after LIM job is done, but still want to know the outcome of this in any case.

Not sure where exactly the heater hoses go on that motor/model.
Some are almost impossible to find much less change.

Hard to believe a head gasket would spew coolant like that.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Not sure where exactly the heater hoses go on that motor/model.
Some are almost impossible to find much less change.

Hard to believe a head gasket would spew coolant like that.

A truck pulled over in the midst of overheating while pulling his trailer home(lawn care business owner), just across the street from me last year.

We tried pouring some tap water into the radiator and found the source of the steam to be at a broken 3-to-2 plastic pipe connector. I forget the model of the vehicle, but it wouldn't surprise me if it used DEX COOL.
whistle.gif

Anyway, he let the car sit for about an hour and we filled with water and followed him 2 miles to his house, then just recommended him to change his oil on top of coolant level fix etc once this weird plastic piece is replaced.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
could just be a hose or line,a freeze out plug its hard to say without seeing it

True, I'd still say if his car had the known LIM gasket issues, it's at least one point of reference should a mechanic not be able to locate a failure externally...but Nick did say the oil was chocolate milk. Coolant entry is more or less already confirmed.

Last edited:
i would not use dex cool anymore after he replaces gasket...it doesnt sound like he maintained it much

If the oil is already chocolate milk, I would just [censored]-can the whole engine. That factor coupled with the severe overheating would make me extremely leery of repairing it.

Even if you fix the lim and head gaskets , you don't know how long the oil has been "chocolate milk" you might do all that and the bearings are toast anyway. Its a risk of your money.

Well When I checked the oil at first, it was black, he said it had been changed 3k or so miles earlier. After adding water, and checking again a bit later, it was chocolate milk.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Well When I checked the oil at first, it was black, he said it had been changed 3k or so miles earlier. After adding water, and checking again a bit later, it was chocolate milk.

Yeah, I wouldn't waste your time. Or risk any responsibility. Just tell him that the engine is probably toast and that he's on his own. You don't want to have anything to do with this...lol.

Changed oil 3k miles ago and nothing was said or noticed about the coolant in the oil I'm betting that the following happened.

1. Blew a hose
2. Overheated the engine
3. Headgaskets are not sealing due to heads/block being warped.
4. Coolant into oil
5. Engine is toast.

Bill

From what you described about the rest of the car-it is time to send that one to the crusher and go HOOPTY SHOPPING! He's throwing good money after bad if he tries to fix it!

169K miles, overheated and oil milkshake. They are paying around $10 per 100 lbs. weight down at the bone yard.

With those miles and the car in the condition you described if it's a HG or another major repair, I'd junk it. Fix it up and something else will probably go wrong. JMO

Originally Posted By: 229
169K miles, overheated and oil milkshake. They are paying around $10 per 100 lbs. weight down at the bone yard.

I agree.
The most I would do is check the heater hoses and add a large bottle of Barsleaks and an oil change.....he might get a few more months out of it...
The 3.1 was a good engine plagued by bad gasket design (like a lot of other GMs).
The head 'engineer' in the gasket division of GM should be tarred and feathered.

Sounds like its done, junk it. S

If he can get it running decent enough to get to a junk yard they might give him a bit over scrap for it. Last running car I junked I got $250 for about 4 years ago. Considering I got it for $0 and drove it 6k miles beating on it without mercy I was pretty happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 229

Not necessarily a death sentence.

I knew a guy with a 2.8 fuel injected Camaro with what seemed like gallons of chocolate milkshake in the crankcase.
We didn't change any gaskets.
We ran some K&W Block Seal in it, drained it, let it sit overnight, changed the oil and refilled the coolant. It ran and ceased to churn coolant into the oil.
It had a pretty loud tick after that.
21.gif
Maybe a collapsed or stuck lifter. It was definitely valvetrain noise but specifically what, I do not know. We never took it apart.
But it ran. He continued to drive it.
You know what they say about GMs running longer with something broken...

Now this particular example was built before the so-called "Death-Cool" days so your results may vary.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
So I'm driving up to the mall to sears to get the socket I need for the cartridge filter case to change my oil. I get off the highway, and am sitting at the light on the off ramp, behind a 2000ish malibu. Suddenly, a blast of steam from under the hood, and underneath the car, like clouds of steam. Concerned, I motion for him to pull over (he's about my age, a little older. He has a sticker for a local college on his back window, for this past semester). Well, turns out he's a classmate in one of my classes so I help him out. He starts it, still spewing steam, and limps a quarter mile to mcdonalds, 4-ways on, me following him (I Have nothing else to do today really, so why not?)

Anyway, he parks it and I park next to him. His girlfriend parks next to me in her new mercedes. It's a 2000 Malibu, [censored] condition. Rust, beat up, etc. They were moving to a new house, and he said that it had been acting up, it seemed to be working really hard to maintain highway speeds. Then, BAM it just dies and starts spewing at the light.

Pop the hood, and it's coolant steam. You can taste it. It's the 3.1L V6, with 169k miles. The steam is emnating from the back of the engine, underneath the ignition coils and stuff, behind the rear bank. There is just a ludicrous amount of steam, and coolant leaking onto the ground underneath and all over the engine. He has no idea if the LIM gasket has ever been changed, he's had it for 8 years.

So we go into the gas station next door, fill up a big bucket with water, bring a cup back. The coolant resovoir is completely empty. He lives about 2 miles away, and I ask him what he wants to do. He asks what I recommend. I tell him I'll let him know.

So I dump the water into the coolant resovoir, (no point in adding AF as it's clearly just dumping straight out) and good lord, that engine must have been HOT, I've never seen anything like it. It leaks out, and I try to crank it. It barely starts, but it's not happy about it. I shut it down again, and check the oil. chocolate milk. Lovely. So at this point I figure either his LIM let go, or headgasket. I can't really tell easily on this engine. Let the engine cool down for a minute. I leave my car there, and he goes with his girlfriend. It's almost impossible to keep it running, he wants to park it in his driveway, and is going to junk it, he's been wanting to trade it in for a while, and just hasn't gotten to it.

Fine, I figure. So I drive it. Spewing steam, interior is falling apart. Temp gauge busted. CEL glaring orange. Amazingly, it starts to run okay, even though all the water I dumped in had drained right back out again. It runs the 2 miles or so to his house, and it continues to idle in his driveway. I tell you though, that engine was hot. You could feel it from 10 feet away with the hood open. But it still ran. Parked it, they dropped me off back at my car and thanked me for the help.

So what's the verdict, LIM or headgasket blew? It's just incredible to me that the engine ran, and ran as well as it did at the end considering there was ZERO coolant in it. Those engines are tough, even if the gaskets suck.

Almost sounds like the episode on the movie DUEL. When Dennis Weaver was climbing that steep grade,and all of a sudden,the rad. hose lets loose!
grin.gif
Hey,nothing like a good ole slant six to be able to pull that off. If it was actual that is,I mean the temp gauge was pegged, oil light flashing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back