Explain uninsured motorist coverage

Comp is for stuff like a tree hits your car, your windshield needs replacement. Collision is if you hit someone and you are at fault. It covers repairs to your vehicle. Uninsured motorist is exactly what it says someone without liability insurance hits you and they are at fault you are covered. My deductible for uninsured is 100 dollars. I have it on all my cars. In Washington with USAA it covers the coast of repair, rental, loss of use, diminished value and various other smalls items. In the case of my truck depending on the outcome, USAA will go after the guilty party if they feel they can recoup the money they paid out. Again in the case of my truck I don't think they are going to get anything out of the party who hit it. Does me no good to go after them. What would I go after them for?

Last edited:
Uninsured and underinsured coverage in South Carolina will cover your car if it’s not your fault and the other party does not have insurance. Even if you don’t have comp. It will also cover liability or medical. It’s supposed to cover what the other guys insurance would cover, if the other guy had insurance - that’s the point.

I was always don’t take my word for it, check your policy documents

In NY, Uninsured is mandatory, whether you pay for fully comp or not

Another important feature of your auto insurance policy is bodily injury protection for you, all family members who reside in your household, and occupants of your car, in the event you or they are injured as the result of negligent actions by an uninsured vehicle or hit-and-run motorist. This mandatory coverage applies only in regard to bodily injury due to accidents occurring in New York State, and does not cover auto body damage to your car or damage to other property

I pay a little extra, for that I get underinsured (up to a limit stated) and comprehensive Uninsured/Underinsured so if someone totals my car and hurts me badly, I get taken care of from the start

Of course, read your policy, there's many variables
No fault vs fault, insurance can be a minefield of confusion

Comp is for stuff like a tree hits your car, your windshield needs replacement. Collision is if you hit someone and you are at fault. It covers repairs to your vehicle. Uninsured motorist is exactly what it says someone without liability insurance hits you and they are at fault you are covered. My deductible for uninsured is 100 dollars. I have it on all my cars. In Washington with USAA it cover the coast of repair, rental, loss of use, diminished value and various other smalls items. In the case of my truck depending on the outcome. USAA will go after the guilty party if they feel they can recoup the money the paid out. Again in the case of my truck I don't think they are going to get anything out of the party who hit it. Does me no good to after them. What would I go after them for?
That is my understanding too.

Our odyssey was hit twice. Once when parked in a parking lot (at fault driver owned up to it), the second time when stopped at a red light (hot and run but I got photos fast enough). The second time while the police were doing their thing, it was going through uninsured/underinsured mandatory coverage (which includes protection of the insured asset and inhabitants). I don’t recall if we had a deductible, but it was coming from that since it wasn’t an act of God type thing, nor our fault.

When I was shopping for insurance one place came in about half of the other places, almost pulled the trigger but no uninsured asked them to add it since it seemed to be very cheap, they said I had to re-apply to get requoted as the quote was expired, came back $350 higher

Seems reasonable as the insurance company took on significantly more liability with uninsured/underinsured coverage. Heck, depending on the source, 10-15% of drivers on the road do not have insurance to cover your damages.

You make a good point, though. When shopping for insurance always make sure the coverage matches or exceeds your current policy. It's easy to fall into the trap where you are looking at rates only and you lose coverage.

Last edited:
I think uninsured is in fact, required in South Carolina as well. Which when you think about it is simply the governments version of me providing welfare for those that choose to break the rules, since I am essentially paying for their insurance.

I thought it was 400...but yeah you do...or lie on the form as no proof of Ins is required.

It was $500 years ago, but the fee was increased to $600 at some point.

I read that insurance companies in VA are required to tell the DMV when a vehicle is insured and when a vehicle is dropped from insurance. If the DMV finds out from that you don't have insurance, you'll get a letter asking you to pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

Seems reasonable as the insurance company took on significantly more liability with uninsured/underinsured coverage. Heck, depending on the source, 10-15% of drivers on the road do not have insurance to cover your damages.
I've seen it happen. Neighbors across the street had their Son's Mustang parked in front of my house. It's a 25 speed zone. A girl who was "driving her cousin car" hit that thing a ton, knocked it up into my yard about 2 feet, over the curb first. The driver had a valid license but no vehicle of her own so she had no insurance, the owner of the car did not have insurance either. My Neighbor's insurance paid for it.

I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle on a public road. The person that hit me was a fault and only had required minimum liability coverage which is $15K. I did not want to deal with the insurance company and thier BS, so I hired a lawyer. Lawyer was able to get my insurance to kick in $85K through the Uninsured/Underinsured coverage. My rates have not gone up.

Fun fact: in July Virginia started requiring insurance companies to add underinsured coverage to policies for those who do carry insurance. My agent explained that this was mainly a medical coverage.

Also, everyone's auto-insurance premiums are shooting up, though only part of this is the new coverage. My 2011 Ranger has full coverage and the premiums every six months have gone up about 30% from a year ago. No, I have no tickets or claims and, yes, I have great credit. My agent said he and everyone else in his office had been hit too.

Back