Exhaust System - 2008 Nissan Titan?

DR1

Here is my current exhaust system setup.

1) Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers Part# THY-481Y-LSO-C
2) 2.5" mid pipes/b-pipes with resonators (no cats). Pic provided - Custom made 409 stainless steel. https://www.cajunbpipes.com/?lightbox=dataItem-jj7ogl3t
3) JBA Y-pipe 2.5" but when it exits into the single pipe it is then 3" diameter pipe.
4) Magnaflow Muffler - "Round straight through" 3" inlet and 3" outlet. 30"case length and 36" overall length. - ( 6" in width )

Now I have a question for everyone to discuss. I am interested in trying a different muffler due to drone at 1500 rpms.
New muffler idea is a Borla straight through muffler 2.75 inlet and 2.75 outlet. 24" case length and 28" overall length. (7.75 in width )

Will going with the 2.75" inlet outlet muffler should I drop down to 2.75 diameter exhaust pipe or just leave the 3" pipe alone?
I know that the exhaust flow will be traveling through a 3" pipe and then drop down 2.75" inside the muffler and then exit out back into 3"
Will that disrupt the flow where I will lose HP/TQ?

First I would put Cats back on it.

What's after the muffler?

Id buy a commercial cat back that seems to meet the noise that i wanted. There should be plenty of fodder on the Tube of You to help you decide.

Failing that, put some resonators in the tail pipe(s)

I'd expect a shorter straight through muffler to be louder, though that perhaps may not equate to drone.

Last edited:
This is my exhaust minus the JBA muffler.

To the power question, it depends on if the engine needs 3" or if 2.75" is enough.

Engine Masters did at least one whole episode on this.

Still think I would try a resonator...or a non straight through muffler.

Last edited:
Ok...lets for get about the drone for a minute. Even though the Borla has a 24" case length BUT a 7.75 width compared to 6" width that is a big difference. I have also heard that Borla makes a higher quality muffler internally than Magnaflow with less drone.

I like my Nissans, but on a 15yr/old one, the least of my worries would be a little drone. It's hard to say which combo of mufflers and resonators would work. Nissan gets overcomplicated with their exhausts. My 2022 frontier has 4 catalytic converters, 3 resonators and a muffler.

Reactions: DR1
Ok...lets for get about the drone for a minute. Even though the Borla has a 24" case length BUT a 7.75 width compared to 6" width that is a big difference. I have also heard that Borla makes a higher quality muffler internally than Magnaflow with less drone.

Borla uses 304, while Magnaflow is 409

It would be helpful to have the part numbers of the mufflers you speak about.

Not sure why you didn't try the JBA muffler (or did you).

Both Borla and Magna Flow are considered to be very high quality mufflers.

It would be helpful to have the part numbers of the mufflers you speak about.

Not sure why you didn't try the JBA muffler (or did you).

Both Borla and Magna Flow are considered to be very high quality mufflers.
I just posted the info on the 2 mufflers.
I did try the JBA muffler 1st

What was wrong with the JBA muffler?

Are you looking for loud? Aside from the drone are you happy with the sound of the MF?

It is possible the change to the larger diameter shorter muffler will change the tuning of the exhaust and thus the rpm of the drone, but i'm not science enough to know short of trying it.

To echo DuckRyder, I'd put the cats back in first.

JBA mufflers are LOUD. MagnaDrones are the worst... quiet on the outside, loud on the inside.

I have that Borla muffler on my F-150, but in 3". It's a 5.0, RCSB. I originally ran it with no resonator, but added in an MBRP resonator I had, which helped. System is all 3" after the Y. It drones around 1,900 - 2,200. Based on previous Borla experience, I was expecting drone-free, but that's not the case.

If I was going to change it out, I'd likely do a 70-series Flowmaster. Ran one of these on a E-350 years ago, all 3", with no drone, and no resonators.

Take an unbiased look at the unfortunately name Full Boar line on fleabay. Just put it on a turbo project (read- good flow and quiet). fairly cheap and a better quality knockoff of MF.

It amazes me what people go through to get a good sounding exhaust. More so, it's unreal what OEM's go through to dampen exhaust sound.

When my Jeep was new, it had a simple setup: headers, Y-pipe, single cat, single muffler (albeit massive), and that's it. All I did to improve sound was add a $24 Amazon chambered muffler and it sounds perfect. My GF has a slightly newer GC, '02 vs. '00, and hers came factory with dual pre cats, a post cat, and a muffler. Before I swapped mufflers, my truck had just a touch more rumble but it was basically a wash.

My '03 Marauder came factory with 4 cats, 2 mufflers, and resonated exhaust tips. I removed the post-cats and left the rest alone, and the sound was increased ever so slightly over stock.

Back