Excessive 2017 Mustang Paint Chips

Paint quality has gotten worse. My brother had an old 1991 Buick Park Avenue that had maybe 1 chip on the front end. My parents 2005 Chevrolet Uplander also has very few cips. My Honda and VW on the other hand.....

From what I understand, the EPA banned the chemical that made it durable. It's never been the same. 3-4 rock chips over the life of the car (like my parents' '72 Monte Carlo) has turned into 3-4 per month.

From what I understand, the EPA banned the chemical that made it durable. It's never been the same. 3-4 rock chips over the life of the car (like my parents' '72 Monte Carlo) has turned into 3-4 per month.
That doesn't surprise me, the EPA ruins everything...

Maybe it may be the quality of the paint? Here is my 1999 SLK daily driver, original paint, that was totaled out a little less then 2 years ago. I don't recall any chips. Replaced with a used 2013 SLK and no chips either. Maybe get a Mercedes dealer to paint it with Mercedes paint?

Seeing your car reinforces my opinion German cars have much better paint than our domestic iron. Japanese, particularly Honda, even worse IMO.
Used to be much better. Had a Ford Explorer that would get a chip only if hit by a hammer.

Most use the least amount of eco friendly water based paint possible, except for upscale brands such as BMW and some others.
Don’t get fooled by blaming the EPA as the largest BMW plant in the world is right here in South Carolina and the paint on those vehicles are a sight to behold.

Other manufacturers feel people don’t care enough and don’t take care of their vehicles anyway so sell the vechicle and get it off the lot mentality prevails.

I say this because I feel the same way as you do with my Mazda and my Chevrolet. Though your case sounds severe.

However my son who works for BMW has one new and one 2016ish BMWs in his garage and every time I see him I am awe looking at the paint, you can actually feel the thickness and quality of it along door jams and the hood is just amazing and I never see chipping of any significance if at all. The fit and finish top notch.
I really appreciate stuff like that and it’s nice to see some manufacturers haven’t given up with quality. I’m not overstating this, I’m amazed every time I see his cars, he loves driving and all our roads are high speed interstate.

(And I just saw someone posted like I wrote above mine, I couldn’t agree more)

Last edited:
Most use the least amount of eco friendly water based paint possible, except for upscale brands such as BMW and some others.
Don’t get fooled by blaming the EPA as the largest BMW plant in the world is right here in South Carolina and the paint on those vehicles are a sight to behold.

Other manufacturers feel people don’t care enough and don’t take care of their vehicles anyway so sell the vechicle and get it off the lot mentality prevails.

I say this because I feel the same way as you do with my Mazda and my Chevrolet. Though your case sounds severe.

However my son who works for BMW has one new and one 2016ish BMWs in his garage and every time I see him I am awe looking at the paint, you can actually feel the thickness and quality of it along door jams and the hood is just amazing and I never see chipping of any significance if at all. The fit and finish top notch.
I really appreciate stuff like that and it’s nice to see some manufacturers haven’t given up with quality. I’m not overstating this, I’m amazed every time I see his cars, he loves driving and all our roads are high speed interstate.

(And I just saw someone posted like I wrote above mine, I couldn’t agree more)
Comparing the paint on our CX-9 to that of our previous Sienna, the paint on the CX-9 appears to be thicker and more durable. It still gets rock chips, but it doesn't seem to get them as easily as it did on the Toyota. With the Toyota, I think grains of sand would chip the paint on that vehicle...it was not durable at all...and to top it off, our Sienna was white, so I bet you can guess what the color the front end panels were under the paint...you got it, black, so every little chip in the paint stuck out like a sore thumb...they could at least mold those pieces in a color that's close to the paint color so when chips do occur, they wouldn't show up so bad...

Back