EVs more expensive to refuel, than ICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting study by the Anderson Economic Group and writeup by the Washington Examiner, concludes that EVs cost more than ICE to refuel.

It's as I've been saying. The dishonest veneer of the EV marketing is quickly becoming transparent. They don't hold the charges as advertised, the batteries won't last as long as advertised, we've all seen the evidence that cobalt mining is far from humane or environmentally friendly, and in this case, the alleged cost savings on energy are non-existent or immaterial. This is with a 4% nationwide adoption. The more EVs are adopted, the higher electricity grids will be strained, and higher costs per KWH we will all be suffered to pay for electricity.

"Drop in gas prices gives cost advantage back to ICE-powered vehicles for the first time since the second quarter of 2021.
East Lansing, MI–January 24, 2023: 2022’s final quarter brought relief at the pump for drivers of traditional Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles as the cost to drive 100 miles dropped by more than $2. With the cost for electricity also trending upward during the year, mid-priced ICE cars became more economical to fuel than their Electric Vehicle (EV) counterparts for the first time in 18 months.

In Q4 2022, typical mid-priced ICE car drivers paid about $11.29 to fuel their vehicles for 100 miles of driving. That cost was around $0.31 cheaper than the amount paid by mid-priced EV drivers charging mostly at home, and over $3 less than the cost borne by comparable EV drivers charging commercially."

Admittedly this is a trivial costs, but it's whittling away at the false marketing claims EV has been cramming down American's throats for forced acceptance.

I don't know where they got there numbers from. But $11.29 per 100 miles seems egregiously high for an EV. According the the EPA, it should be much less than that. The EPA estimates a BMW i4 at $4.32 per 100 miles while the gasoline equivalent is north of $14 per 100 miles. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45133&id=44182

Last edited:
Take the tin foil off. Do you own an EV? I do-2021 Bolt EV. It comes with a 66 kWh battery. It costs me .066 kWh x 66 = $4.37 to fill it up. I can drive from 120 to 300 miles per full charge. It all depends on the weather and speed. The worst was at 65mph in -20 air temp last winter. What false range? It clearly states in the manual and ecatalog that mileage will vary Just like an ICE car. it comes with an eight year battery warranty. Bolts in general show very low battery loss compared to other ev. There are a couple running around with 200,000 miles on them with about 9 to 12% loss-not to bad.

Electric vehicles are not for everyone and if you are paying to charge your car at third-party chargers, probably not a good investment I charge at home and I’ve only ever charged at home like most people that own electric cars I have a full tank every morning. It’s a perfect car for commuting and my son using to go to college. He also uses it to deliver for Amazon cost per mile is very low again they’re not for everyone don’t bury your head in the sand. Ask questions research yourself not just Fox News and some posting on Facebook ask away I will attempt to answer any of your questions honestly. I bought the car because it’s cheap to run, little or no maintenance and it’s a little rocket. I would buy another one. I have a Blazer EV reserved to replace my ICE Blazer.

fyi-my electric rate is 12.9 cents per kWh during day and 6.6 from 8pm to 8am. I programmed the car to start charging at 8 PM but It can be overridden at any time.

dave

Last edited:
Surely, a big part of this depends on whether you live in Hawaii, where electricity costs $0.44 / KWH, or Washington state where it's $0.10 / KWH.
Those are average base rates, so marginal rates are higher. The point is there's a BIG difference in electricity rates across the USA, a factor of more than 4:1.

The smartest thing I did for my previous home I had custom built in 2017 was knowing EV's are the future. It has two level 2 charge outlets in the garage and one for a car on the driveway. The realtor said the buyer really liked it was already set for EV's. I never owned an EV and don't plan on buying one any time soon, but I'm not against them. However, I like freedom of choice.

Mr. Anderson is a graduate of the University of Michigan, where he earned a Master of Public Policy degree and a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science. He is a member of the National Association for Business Economics and the National Association of Forensic Economists. The Michigan Chamber of Commerce awarded Mr. Anderson its 2006 Leadership Michigan Distinguished Alumni award for his civic and professional accomplishments. The University of Michigan, Ford School of Public Policy awarded him its Neil Staebler Award for civic participation in 2014.

Seems Mr Anderson of the Anderson Economic group doesn’t even have a degree in economics.

But it doesn’t include the “I think I’d rather slip into a coma rather than get in and out of this vehicle 1 more time than I have to just for gas after working my 12 hour shift” mental anguish I and many others go through every time we stop at a gas station.

Can’t wait for a reasonably equipped (and by reasonable I mean I want cloth seats, that’s it) 4x4 EV truck under $45k.

From the study:
Included in the cost of fueling or charging is an "Implicit Time Cost" that is calculated based on "Implicit Time Burden" and federal minimum wage (tables B4 and B5). Basically, charging takes time and the study assigns a cost to that, regardless of what other activity the vehicle owner may be doing at the time.

Included in the study's "Direct Monitory Costs per 100 Miles" is the amortized cost of the charger (table B8). This alone accounts for 25% of the cost of charging at home. Should the nearly $2,000 charger (what the study used as a cost for charger + installation) be amortized as part of the cost of charging or should it be considered a fixed, one-time cost of a durable good that goes along with the purchase of an owner's first EV (and can then be reused for their second, third, etc. EV)? The study says it's part of the cost of charging. Considering GM is giving away a charger and the cost installation with the purchase of a Bolt EV or Bolt EUV, I'd argue that's a pretty solid sign it's part of the cost of the car.

Also: An article from "social media reporter" Heather Hamilton at The Washington Examiner? You can do better than that for "news".

Last edited:
The smartest thing I did for my previous home I had custom built in 2017 was knowing EV's are the future. It has two level 2 charge outlets in the garage and one for a car on the driveway. The realtor said the buyer really liked it was already set for EV's. I never owned an EV and don't plan on buying one any time soon, but I'm not against them. However, I like freedom of choice.

Who ever wants them should run out and grab as many as u like. Do not force them on anyone else please.

The year is 2035. I was forced to buy an EV. It drives for me and won't allow me to tailgate elderly people or pass stopped school buses with their stop signs out. I can't speed. I can't run red lights. I can't even park poorly.

The joy of life is gone. It has evaporated like gasoline upon an asphalt drive on a sunny summer day.

Oh, gasoline.

Seems Mr Anderson of the Anderson Economic group doesn’t even have a degree in economics.
What level of economics training is required to run an analysis of EV vs. ICE costs and efficiency? It's pretty elementary IMO.

Every member of his analyst team has economic-related degree fields, all of which have undergraduate and/or graduate level requirements in courses in economics.

What level of economics training is required to run an analysis of EV vs. ICE costs and efficiency? It's pretty elementary IMO.

Every member of his analyst team has economic-related degree fields, all of which have undergraduate and/or graduate level requirements in courses in economics.

It’s called agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back