Ever had a transmission fail? On what vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once in a 70 Ford Maverick. It would skip second gear, and shift from 1-3, missing second gear. When I sold cars Honda seemed to take the prize for Odyssey mini vans, and V6 Accords. Many failed before 50k miles.

1977 Chevy Nova with the 2 speed Metric trans. Failed at 8K and was having problems at about 100K again. Sold it.

THM350 (1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport) - My daily driver failed with 93,000 miles on it. Lost reverse and it was sudden, no warning. Although I was a kid at the time I can say confidently I didn't abuse the transmission in my time as the owner, I do not recall ever "rocking" the car to get out of snow etc. I did not take the transmission apart, I traded it as a core for a rebuilt (something you would never do today, as the born with VIN stamped transmission now matters on old cars, back then it meant nothing) so I do not know what happened.

THM700R4 (1987 Chevrolet Silverado 2wd) - 30,000 kms (18,000 miles) on the vehicle, never abused, never towed anything, I carried my dirt bike in it on weekends that was it. We were coming home through the mountains and the traffic was fast that day so I was clipping along at 125 kph (about 78 mph), there was a bit of hunting going on between OD and drive but nothing I would deem excessive. I always pulled the shifter to "D" if the hunting was excessive (and still do even though powertrain management is much better now). The first symptom was the truck stopped shifting into OD towards the end of the trip (I was 40 miles from home). I wasn't too concerned yet, maybe I was pushing a wind etc. I stopped at the first set of lights on the outskirts of the city and then I knew it was bad (smoke, smell boiling up from underneath). Light turned green and I limped it home, it was no longer shifting at all, just 1st gear. No root cause on this one either. I had the shop rebuild the VIN stamped transmission, they used a Corvette servo and a shift kit etc. all the tricks for a 700R4. I installed a large aftermarket cooler as well. No issues for the rest of the life with the truck. However I was very disappointed in everything about this... age of the truck, GM's response, crap transmission, cost to me etc. Subsequent trucks I have owned with the 4LE60 have been way better in the powertrain department. My father also had a 1987 4wd at the same time as my 1987 but his truck had the 3 speed THM400 which was a better choice for sure just no OD. I have has many THM400's in my old muscle cars and that was a bulletproof transmission.

My 2003 or '04 Mini Cooper S, while auto-crossing at an SCCA event on the Metro-Zoo grounds parking lot which was turned into the course.

87 Buick with 200k+ that went out. I delivered pizzas in it a while and it ran low on fluid once. So can;t really complain.

Mercedes that had a funky VERY hard shift. Had to have the valve body rebuilt with less than 60k on it. My wife fully understood why I said not not buy a European car after that if you want reliability.

3-speed in my '65 Mustang got some water in it.

5 speed Wagoneer Limited. Blew out the throttle body of the transmission because I had used the vehicle to tow my stuff back and forth from college. Limped into a transmission shop which "rebuilt it" (poorly I might add). Broke with no cash and credit card debt I didn't get it sorted until I took it to AAMCO 4 months later.

'78 Chevy Mailbu with a THM200 and a 305. Previously rebuilt by the PO, unknown mileage. Killed by stupid teenage hijinx doing neutral drops.
'87 Dodge Diplomat, A-904. Had an intermittent shudder in reverse since I got it at, plus a buzz in drive. Lasted like that from 40-105K. Went outside one morning to find the torque converter had hemorraged ATF all over the ground. Unloaded the car after that.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
02 Jetta TDI, automatic. Failed at 80,000 miles

I believe this transmission would be the 09a, which is basically the same as the Jatco JF506e that failed in my minivan. Possibly the same issue...

Between myself, my family, and my friends, going back probably 30 years I know of four transmission failures, three Hondas, and one Ford.

1984 Accord - torque convertor shuddered badly at 70k, replaced it and car went another 200,000+ miles without issue

1996 Mustang - V6, erratic shifting and slipping badly around 40,000 miles. Replaced with a rebuilt unit, which always shifted weird. Car went another 50k or so until the head gaskets failed for a 2nd time and car was junked

2001 Honda Civic - Started shifting weird, then a few days later total failure at 210,000 miles, car wouldnt move at all

1996 Accord - Around 150,000 miles or so, erratic shifting, replaced solenoids which didnt help, shortly after that it stopped moving completely. Replaced with a rebuild which shifts fine, car is still on the road.

I know for a fact that none of these cars had ever had a transmission fluid change up until the failure.

Originally Posted by brages

I believe this transmission would be the 09a, which is basically the same as the Jatco JF506e that failed in my minivan. Possibly the same issue...

Interesting. I don't remember what is was. I hated that car. We got rid of it soon after.

Interesting. I don't remember what is was. I hated that car. We got rid of it soon after.

IIRC it was an 01M. On the TDI forums it's a hated transmission, and that's by VW fans. 4AT that didn't like TDI torque.

Lost tranny on 2006 Ford F150 at about 65K

Lock up torque converter serious problems Mercury Sable

Complete tranny failure my moms Saturn

three in a row tranny failures Chevy Pickup...I think an 87.

85 Chevy badly slipping second gear

No trans or engine failures. Yet. Haven't owned any long enough to induce failure I guess. Had VW that the flywheel wore out, so it was proactively replaced (along with a very good condition clutch) at the 250k (400kkm) mark. Most of our vehicles seem to go away by 200k so I wouldn't expect any failure, even with zero maintenance on the trans.

Originally Posted by supton

IIRC it was an 01M. On the TDI forums it's a hated transmission, and that's by VW fans. 4AT that didn't like TDI torque.

All what was it like 90 hp and 155 ft/lbs of torque? Well I guess it was made of glass.

02 Accord at 110K miles. This was the production run that is well documented when it came to AT failure. Honda fixed it through the goodwill program....got a new AT installed at the dealership for 500 dollars. Can't argue with that.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
02 Accord at 110K miles. This was the production run that is well documented when it came to AT failure. Honda fixed it through the goodwill program....got a new AT installed at the dealership for 500 dollars. Can't argue with that.

Was is a V6 model? When I used to hang out on the Accord forums it seemed the V6 model auto transmissions had more issues the the 4cyl autos.

1979 Ford LTD @ 60K. Went out again @62K. Rebuilt again under warranty. was fine after that.
1993 Chrysler Fifth Avenue @66K. Rebuilt under warranty. Rebuilt again @ 66.5K, due to poor workmanship. Still not an acceptable result. Went in a third time. Still did not shift properly after third visit. Traded vehicle on a new Mercury.
1994 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible @81K. Replaced with a boneyard transmission. Sold vehicle shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
My '92 Buick Roadmonster with 439,000 kilometres on it left me at the side of the road. I dumped it.

We have a 91 Caprice , much the same car . Hope the transmission makes it that far .

I'll never forget this one because I was 12. My dad just bought a brand new 1991 Ford Aerostar. The day he brought it home we went to my grandmothers. It didn't leave my grandmothers driveway under it's own power. Less than 25 miles on it. It went through another 1 under warranty too. After that though, it was fine. I got it when I went to college and besides being underpowered, it was a great van to haul my friends and mountain bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back