Ever bought/changed a coil pack?

Originally Posted by Miller88
I have a Ford truck with coil on plug ignition. Of course I have ! Every 12 to 18 months and I always have spares. Even more frustrating is that these things don't set a check engine light!

But can the offending coil can be identified using Mode $06.

Originally Posted by cos
I've only replaced one coil and that was on a friend's '86 VW Golf. It was severely corroded.

Why do BMWs seem to need them so often? Poor quality?

Great question, I replaced probably 4 or 5 in my 540. I would keep an extra on the shelf. Maybe high engine heat being the cause?

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Originally Posted by cos
I've only replaced one coil and that was on a friend's '86 VW Golf. It was severely corroded.

Why do BMWs seem to need them so often? Poor quality?

Great question, I replaced probably 4 or 5 in my 540. I would keep an extra on the shelf. Maybe high engine heat being the cause?

I was going to reply earlier, heat. They run hotter than typical.

That and BMW can't figure out how to make a decent gasket to save their life, so the coil tubes fill with oil...

Fords and VAG products I have done the most of. BMWs probably 3rd. I have done many on several other makes and models. Least common is probably GM products (other than SAAB and the ecotec).

Done lots of coils on various vag 1.8t over the years from the old ICM style 3wire bolt down coils to the newer cheaper push down ones. 2 of my Audi 2.7t powered cars had missfires but no CEL had to diagnose via individual cyl missfire counter. Brother's 06 F150 has had a few coils fail as well, just replaced all 8 plugs and 8 coils with new Motor craft. Hopefully those were the best way to go.

Originally Posted by Rat407
I've changed the coil pack on my daughters 2012 Cruze 1.4 twice now. According to my friend that works at a chevy parts counter, he keeps extra in stock.

Oh yes - forgot all about that one! Those 1.4T's have a pattern failure with their coils. I've done a few Cruzes and Sonics with the motor as well as a Trax.

Old mid 70's Mopar. Broke coil possibly due to broken coil wire. Do not remember exactly as was decades ago. Also had oil leaking from coil on Honda V6. Still worked but replaced it with wreck salvage unit from Acura TL.

ac condensate dripping on it.
there is a tsb on it.
Originally Posted by Linctex
My uncle's 2001 F150 4.6 liter would kill the furthest forward one (on the passenger side) with regularity....

We never could figure out why.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I have a Ford truck with coil on plug ignition. Of course I have ! Every 12 to 18 months and I always have spares. Even more frustrating is that these things don't set a check engine light!

I don't have a scanner that can do cylinder contribution tests. I have friends who do, so I end up having them take a quick spin to figure it out.

Of all the vehicles I have owned I have never had to buy or change one. Am I lucky or are some vehicles just prone to having them fail?
Yep on 2 vehicles, one was a Saturn that had a known defect in the factory provided coil packs, had to change those twice and each time it ate the catalytic converter. The other was a Mazda MPV mini-van. Of course one went on the rear which was a nightmare to get at. Replaced all three rears while I had it apart.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I don't have a scanner that can do cylinder contribution tests. I have friends who do, so I end up having them take a quick spin to figure it out.
I just got Forscan and the ridiculously expensive ($50) branded cable, I'm hoping it can do things like this. I've owned the Navigator for less than a year, but the modular motor's reputation for eating coils was known at the time of purchase.

As for coils I've replaced in the past, it hasn't been on any modern vehicles. 60s/70s cars. If I had one of those types of cars again, I would pony up the money for a high performance coil and some sort of electronic ignition conversion. Haven't had anything with points since the mid-80s though, which incidentally is the last time I have replaced a coil. I think that will be changing with my 5.4 3V ownership though. Knock on wood...

I've had to replace the coils on my 92 Cavalier several times over the years. Usually they fail or the ICM does. It's a waste spark system bolted to the back of the block on the 2.2L 4 cylinder. I guess it gets pretty hot back there.

Back