EV Sales Leave Chargers Playing Catchup

It's all very sad but like you say can not be discussed here. Though can change from administration to administration AND its not possible to replace gasoline with electricty which the public WILL fully understand in roughly 10 years if we get up to a 25% PURE EV saturation on the roadways. I doubt we will but too soon to say and I haven't done the math but doubt we even have enough electricty for 10% never mind 25%.
Right now it's a political "in thing" from politicians more or less the public out to lunch until reality hits and someone asks how can I charge my vehicle if there is no electricity to do it with.
When did you ever see something pass in government such as this and not get amended over and over.
One example would be the debt ceiling for the last 40+ years?
I agree, and hope we can vote this away in 2024 for a slower and more realistic transition to a nationwide power grid that can actually support the change to EV, all electric appliances, etc.

But automobiles already exist is todays world. An EV is just another engine, the public will decide if its convenient or not to own one, some will find it convenient and many will find it inconvenient, lets say, a step backwards in time to the Henry Ford days.
Gas pumps now exist for automobiles, so for many, why switch to a different engine that needs special "fuel" with zero infrastructure and zero production facilities for that "fuel"
After all like previously posted CA couldn't supply enough power at times last year to watch TV, never mind fill up an automobile with electricity so why switch from gas which is plentiful to electricity and at a MUCH high cost ???
Plenty of power everywhere to charge EVs at night and off peak.

Plenty of power everywhere to charge EVs at night and off peak.
Yes, agree, it's good for people who dont take long trips. Like the equal if gas stations only opened at night.
We dont know there is plenty of power at night though. Not sure how that statement can be made.

I assume you mean if EV penetration only hits 7% of the population, certainly you would think the grid can support that. But what happens, if ever, if EV penetrates to 25% of vehicle on the road?

Well, for one thing, it never will happen in anyones lifetime in this thread to find out. Though I know the answer that it wont get past 25% for a generation if ever as far as lithium battery power. Even if we had the power plants, which we dont, the infrastructure will not support replacing 25% of gasoline sales with electric sales and I am only talking 25%, we would never get to 75% in battery power, maybe a new technology some advancement in h2

I have the perfect answer once we get to 7% in a decade or so = gasoline power will be the least expensive and most convenient for a long time.

Anti EV propaganda assumes everyone charges during day and not enough power and also utilities don’t expand their capacity. Also slaves are poisoning the earth mining and making batteries.

Pro EV propaganda assumes optimal conditions/times and everyone does what they are supposed to charging from home, solar uptake etc .

It’s somewhere in middle.

Last edited:
Anti EV propaganda assumes everyone charges during day and not enough power and also utilities don’t expand their capacity.

Pro EV propaganda assumes optimal conditions/times and everyone does what they are supposed to charging from home, solar uptake etc .

If people do crazy things like considering nuances, they won't know which group they belong to. Then what? Chaos.

Anti EV propaganda assumes everyone charges during day and not enough power and also utilities don’t expand their capacity.

I dont know, I think the answer is in common sense. The current electric grid will not be able to replace even a small portion of gasoline.
Think about it. how is electricity in the USA going to replace, let's say, closing down 30% of the gasoline use in the USA, that is massive. Anyway, its not happening in anyone in this threads lifetime.
We talk in here like battery powered cars are something new, current lithium battery powered cars will never be the majority of vehicles on the road. Its impossible.

Smart move, I have owned WMT stock since it was in the double digits, hoping they continue to keep clawing away with new ideas. This is a smart one and their automation plans eliminating workers.

WaWa gas stations in my area all have EV chargers.

WaWa gas stations in my area all have EV chargers.
Yeah, I sure all retail will have them wherever possible, it keeps customers in the stores without needing to rush out. :)
The Walmart near where our old home town had charges for well over a year or years now, they were always empty and in the last year there is always at least one car there charging up.

I love how everyone assumes EV drivers all plug in at the same exact time every single day. Some folks my charge every day, some every 2-3 days, some every 4-6 days, some 7+ days between charges. Some charge at night to take advantage of off peak pricing, some charge during the day at work if they can't charge at home, some randomly opportunity charge at retail locations, etc.

Some 68% of homes have electric ranges which at full bore (oven and all burners on) can pull nearly 3x more power than your typical at home L2 charger. Look at major holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas) where many many folks are probably running their electric ovens for multiple hours along with the burners on top which combined could easily pull 5-6k watts if not higher at any given moment (about the same as L2 charging) - don't forget all the other various loads (HVAC heat, water heater, clothes dryer, dishwasher, slow cooker, etc.) that might might be pushing usage another 5-6k watts higher.

If we take the myth applied to EV's the grid should be crashing every major cooking holiday.

Perhaps the EV growth will be the catalyst to improved grid and generation?
Necessity is the mother of invention. Right?
That's the free market, right? I mean since we don't want to spend government dollars subsidizing electric car adoption. 😂

I love how everyone assumes EV drivers all plug in at the same exact time every single day. Some folks my charge every day, some every 2-3 days, some every 4-6 days, some 7+ days between charges. Some charge at night to take advantage of off peak pricing, some charge during the day at work if they can't charge at home, some randomly opportunity charge at retail locations, etc.

Some 68% of homes have electric ranges which at full bore (oven and all burners on) can pull nearly 3x more power than your typical at home L2 charger. Look at major holidays (Thanksgiving, Xmas) where many many folks are probably running their electric ovens for multiple hours along with the burners on top which combined could easily pull 5-6k watts if not higher at any given moment (about the same as L2 charging) - don't forget all the other various loads (HVAC heat, water heater, clothes dryer, dishwasher, slow cooker, etc.) that might might be pushing usage another 5-6k watts higher.

If we take the myth applied to EV's the grid should be crashing every major cooking holiday.
You mean like some areas of CA where when too many people run their AC there are rolling brown outs and black outs?
3" of heavy wet snow will and has taken my power down for a whole day in the middle of winter, an ice storm took it out for 18-24 days, thankfully a large automatic generator saves me but not everyone can afford such a machine or they live in an apartment/condo.
The grid here is very unreliable, the electricity expensive at 37c kWh, you cant tie peoples transportation into this Mickey Mouse crap.

You mean like some areas of CA where when too many people run their AC there are rolling brown outs and black outs?
3" of heavy wet snow will and has taken my power down for a whole day in the middle of winter, an ice storm took it out for 18-24 days, thankfully a large automatic generator saves me but not everyone can afford such a machine or they live in an apartment/condo.
The grid here is very unreliable, the electricity expensive at 37c kWh, you cant tie peoples transportation into this Mickey Mouse crap.

Your power outages due to storms happened before widespread EV adoption so that was completely unrelated to grid being overloaded and more with power infrastructure being affected by natural forces. Not sure how this applies.

The power companies (well at least Southern Company) are advancing so quickly they will figure out how to manage the loads. I have allowed my utility company to "manage" my smart thermostat for 4+ years now to help them during high load times (Georgia Power Flex) and it has not been an issue and only happens ~5-7 times per year. Contrary to misinformation reported if you are not comfortable with how they adjust your thermostat during flex times you can override at anytime by going to your thermostat and adjusting back to your set temp. Same can be applied to charging cars - if the grid is on the brink then pause car charging for a moment (allow override just like my thermostat) or manage other usage for a short period of time.

Seems everyone keeps citing the real reasons why the EV is an issue and it doesn’t seem to be the EV. Sure sounds like the problem is California.

We can figure out domestically how to grow the grid and manage the load. This is a problem but it is solvable.
The problem that will never be solved in our lifetimes is peace in the middle East.
Improving and upgrading the grid is a drop in the ocean compared to this problem.
Using our own oil is not wholly the solution either because like any product the people that have it want top dollar for it on a WW market.
A blend between these two maintains cost and independence.
I dont understand why its painted as all or nothing as we all know there is no truck/ tow vehicle replacement on the horizon at reasonable cost.

Back