ETCG head light test

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually a great video to demonstrate why HID and LED "upgrades" are actually terrible, both for the driver of the vehicle being "upgraded" and any unfortunate soul who happens to be driving near them.

Three photos ripped directly from the video:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Discussion:
[Linked Image]

I added a reference line at the top of the lighting hot spot. These are a reflector lamp, designed for a halogen bulb, and doesn't have a particularly sharp horizontal beam cutoff. The two boxes is stray light that extends above the horizontal cutoff. This would be seen as glare to other drivers and would also be bounced back toward the vehicle's driver in rain, fog, or snow.

[Linked Image]

Again, same reference line and boxes. The HID retrofit has a remarkably similar beam profile to the halogen lamp. Unfortunately, since this isn't a particularly good housing, the extra light injected into a poor beam pattern means more light everywhere, including where you don't want it. There is more light in the upper boxes, which means more glare for other drivers and more light bounceed back in foul weather. Not good.

[Linked Image]

Oh. My. God. This is a hot mess. I added a black line for reference at the top of the hot spot. The more important line is the red one. This is where the top of the hot spot was for the halogen and HID bulb. Anything above that red line, and there is a LOT, is uncontrolled glare and light that will absolutely blind the driver in foul weather. It's like two giant flood lamps with minimal beam control. Light is everywhere. You have a special place in the afterlife if you drive your car around like this.

I'm not a particularly sensitive person with respect to oncoming lights, but these new HID and LED lights really impair my vision! It's really uncool meeting someone with these lights in the rain on a twisty road. I sometimes even have a hard time picking up the white line for reference, especially if it's old and faded/worn.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
I'm not a particularly sensitive person with respect to oncoming lights, but these new HID and LED lights really impair my vision! It's really uncool meeting someone with these lights in the rain on a twisty road. I sometimes even have a hard time picking up the white line for reference, especially if it's old and faded/worn.

01.gif

I just got back from a 2 day ski/boarding trip where I had a 2019 Impala.
Despite not having HID/LED lighting, I was satisfied.
Sure, the light at night wasn't as bright as my Lex or other cars I've driven, but if it means not stressing the drivers around me, then so be it!

As for the other drivers with those "ultra blue" lights, I tell ya, they really made the drive stressful! Regardless if they were behind or in front of me!

I don't drive at night as often as I once did however when I do, I notice how some Pickup Trucks and Large SUVs lighting(Escalades come to mind) pierce my eyes as do some high end cars.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I found this interesting as Eric measures the light output

ETCG headlight videos from Eric The Car Guy:

Video #1 initial test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ck2Lsfn9fw

Video#2 update test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wvpBZCot0s

Right. This is a good illustration how people buy crap only because it is the popular "choice" and not doing any research.
These videos shows test with some of the worst LEDs - COB. The CREE XP50 are even worse. These comprise 90% of amazon LED sale - and those are what drive people crazy.

If somebody can not sleep if they do not put LEDs in their light - they should at list do it properly. Clean those fogged lenses and re-aim the properly after installing some LEDs with not-that-awful pattern :
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/
and stop being a selfish moron

Here is a LONG but very informative video about LED lights.

https://headlightrevolution.com/headlights/headlight-bulb-upgrades/led-headlight-bulbs/

Interestingly, I just bought the VLEDs brand that he tested for my low beam bulbs, the less bright of the 4 he tested in a projector housing.
I wasn't looking for the brightest, just an improvement over stock....Without blinding other drivers.
However, the same bulb may perform differently in different housings....
I experienced the same thing that he did in the video, that the cut-off points were much identical to the original halogen bulb in my headlight projector housings.
After all....I can see just fine at night with my high beams on....but there are JUST enough vehicles on the turnpike at night that I cannot keep them on for more than a very short time before I need to dim them for oncoming vehicles.
One should NOT expect to see as well with their "upgraded" low beams as they do with their high beams......pretty obvious that they will be in other driver's eyes if that were the case.

I have been paying attention to other vehicles and have seen LOTS of headlights that seem better than my OEM lights, that are NOT annoying.....again, I don't think one needs to go for the BRIGHTEST!!!
I have a car, not up high, so I know that I won't be coming up on someone with my lights shining down into their vehicle (annoying).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back