Solids Glycol No
Fuel Dilution No

OTHER PROPERTIES
TAN 5.36
TBN 8.24
Oxidation 11.24
Nitro Compounds 1.24
Organic Nitrates 28.29

I know 2 months for 25,000 miles sounds crazy, I did a double take on it too. But according to my maintenance logs this oil went in Dec 15 and the sample was drawn Feb 17. Things get a little crazy in the taxi business when it's -40C...lol!
grin.gif
This isn't the same Montana I have reported on in the past, that one was an 03. But this one was the first to reach 40,000km so I thought I'd better send in a sample.

Anyways, I guess we can chalk up another stellar XD3 report! Wear metals are extremely low along with oxidation and nitration. Viscosity has inched up slightly but I changed both filters right after this sample was drawn so the 2L of fresh oil should bring that back down.

The only question I have is the TAN number. Does 5.36 sound high? According to Esso, the oil starts out at 2.5. This is the first time I requested the TAN test so I don't know what to expect. Any input is welcome.

This is the only 0w-30 I can think of that can rival GC. I wish XOM would supply this in the US. HT/HS of 3.6. Very good oil.

If I lived in Canada, I'd be using this without question.

[ February 23, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

According to the comments of an engineer in the article referenced at this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000414

Oil is considered 'used up' when TAN=TBN, ie: 3000 miles for the specific dino juice he was testing.

In other words, with your oil, you meet his criteria for long drains.

How many more km's were you considering putting on the oil? I'd say at least another 20,000km ought to be just fine, and your goal of 100,000km OCI's isn't just 'pie in the sky' with this oil.

Very nice! The TBN is holding strong and it's nice to see this oil doesn't thin out either. Esso has got a winner on their hands here!

I now know what oil I will try if GC drops off the map!

I havn't decided on when I'll actually pull the drain plug. I was sure 40km would be the limit but apparently not. Further UOA's will be needed but 80,000km is looking about right.

10 oil changes to cover half a million miles....what a crazy world we live in...lol!
shocked.gif
bowdown.gif

Does the viscosity of the 0w40 XD-3 hold up as well as the 0w30? The only UOA I've seen on the 40 is QuickLudes but his UOAs are only useful for that particular engine...

I'll be buying several cases of the the 0w40 with my tax return if it is as good as the 0w30. I'd hate to miss out and have the price go up.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Whats the difference between Esso & Mobil 1 ???
dunno.gif

Esso, Exxon and Mobil have merged, but they still have seperate products branded under each name. XD3 is sold in Canada only, and it's an HDEO generally intended for diesel engines. The closest Mobil product would be Delvac-1 but it is not the same oil as XD3.

As for synthetic PCMO's, we have Esso Superflo, which I imagine is similar to Exxon Superflo. Esso doesn't have a "sister" oil to Mobil 1 though. It's actually nice to have all these choices. You would think that since the merger all Esso oils would just be rebottled Mobil oils, but that doesn't seem to be happening(yet). Hopefully these 2 companies will continue to work together to put out these amazing lubes.
cheers.gif

Holy sh@#$%. 40000km(25000mi) on
the same oil?
gr_eek2.gif
To our
American friends down below
patriot.gif

try calling Exxon to see if XD-3
is available in the states. I thought
I saw the XD-3 name on the Exxon web
site. Remember Esso around the world
is owned by Exxon. Also, Exxon should
have their own heavy duty oil and it
might just be the same XD-3 as up here.
cheers.gif
patriot.gif
canada.gif

I am going to be picking up some XD3 next time I'm up north, probably May timeframe. I'll probably be using the 0w-40 though.

Where near Lake Ontario can I get this oil???

Awesome UOA Olympic!

Sparkman. Where are you from in
Western New York? The Esso outlet
that I know is in St. Catharines.
The address is: TOMLYNN FUELS INC.
138 CUSHMAN ROAD
ST. CATHARINES,ONT.
L2M 6T1

The phone number is (905) 684-3511
or 1-800-263-6156. Their fax number
is 905-684-3619.

Directions from either bridge is
to take QEW to Toronto. Go over
skyway bridge in St. Catharines
and exit at first exit past bridge
on Niagara St.service Rd.
Turn right on Grantham Ave.
Turn right on Welland Ave.
Go few miles past Bunting Rd.
until you get to Cushman Rd.
Turn right on Cushman Rd.
Tomlynn Fules is on the left
side about a mile from intersection.
cheers.gif

I am currently using XD-3 in my 1995 Blazer LT with a 4.3L.

Should make for some interesting results once I have finally put enough miles on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Sparkman:
I am going to be picking up some XD3 next time I'm up north, probably May timeframe. I'll probably be using the 0w-40 though.

Where near Lake Ontario can I get this oil???

Awesome UOA Olympic!

If you don't find an Esso distributor, try Walmart, as a lot of them now carry the XD3 0w40. They just don't stock the 0w30, not around here anyhow.

Looking at the average speed (26km/h, or 16mph) I understand that the car had been driven 24 hours a day non-stop during these 64 days. It had seen very few cold starts, if any. May be that plays the main role in such an exceptional UOA?
The air filter must be really good, about ten times better then my paper filter, with such a low Si. Consider dusty/salty winter roads and severe taxi service...
And this copper...

Are you sure they didn't mix samples?
dunno.gif

Don't be mad at me, I'm still learning!

I was shocked by the numbers as well. But considering all the factors involved, it's believeable. The van only did hiway driving, up to 1200 miles/day, and it's stored in a heated garage. The time between stops/starts varies, but never more than 24 hours. So cold or dry starts really never happen. The van also has over 200k miles, so it's well broken in and should be throwing minimal wear metals.

The Si=6 is likely due to the fact that it's winter and all the dirt is now covered in snow. I've noticed my Si numbers on all vehichles drop off in the winter. The air filters are very clean after 40,000km whereas in summer, they are covered in dust, pollen and all sorts of junk.

I'll have another 40,000km UOA on a different van in March. This one will be 4 months with lots of cold starts after sitting outside overnight. The 20,000km XD3 report is posted here http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002266 Copper is noticeable higher, likely due to the lower mileage and cold starts. But Si is still extremely low.

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
Sparkman. Where are you from in
Western New York?

I live outside of a little town called Nunda (none-day) near Letchworth State Park. My stepfather and I will be traveling up to his cottage on Mazinaw Lake near Kaladar. Mostly work on the cottage but hopefully some fishing (a.k.a feeding the blackflies). We go around the other end of the lake though, Toronto traffic is too aggravating for us country folk.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
If you don't find an Esso distributor, try Walmart, as a lot of them now carry the XD3 0w40. They just don't stock the 0w30, not around here anyhow.

I will look at the Walmart in Kingston!!! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back