Esso XD3 0w30 03 Vibe 10,100km...WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitzel, I looked at an older semi-syn 0-40 bottle of XD3 and it had same ambient starting temp of -40C as does the new full syn. Considerng your comments on .75 litre cost to Esso to make a full syn oil they did it with good marketing, if there was .37 worth before with semi syn oil, then for .35 more they charge 4.20 litre and do good on that, I dont know price of semi syn oil previously, was it less? if it wasnt, still not breaking Esso at the bank for marketing a full syn oil for more sales at cost of .37 more per litre.

This summer in my dodge cummins diesel I am going to run 8 litres President Choice 15-40 dino which is XD3 dino at great price with 4 litres 0-40 XD3 syn, 33/66 syn to dino. AT this price I will have a 1/3 syn to dino semi syn for same price as Esso XD3 dino 15-40 at regular price at Esso and extend OCI a bit more than only dino OCI.

XD3 15-40 dino has same ratings, visc, and according to Esso tech same additive pack as 0-40 syn. That is why I will blend them, I wonder what was in the syn blend XD3 before? possibly very close to my home brew for this summer except the cold weight. I will do couple Analysis on this blend this summer and see what comes up, I will post them, this blend will be a great oil for summer and a 50/50 blend may be all one needs winter too, 50/50 blend would be $3.00 litre, is it worth it though when full syn is $4.00 per litre? Depends if Esso holds the pricing I guess eh.

Cyprs

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Looks like this could be a nice low cost alternative to the more expensive synthetics! It's too bad our southern friends can't get it though.

Yeah it looks like very good oil but we have alternative choices made by a Independent Company that will match it in bang for buck down here .

What are you referring to, Schaeffer's?

Just installed a load of XD-3 in my 1995 Blazer LT with a 4.3L Vortec V6.

Filter used was a Fram Extended Guard Synthetic Oil Filter.

When dumping the old oil, Castrol Syntec 5w30, I made sure to dump a little xd-3 down the filler tube to push out the rest of the old syntec.

Oil sample has been taken for the used Syntec and of course it was taken before the small flush.

Crossing my fingers, but man, has the engine even quieted up and warms up twice as fast.

ME LIKE!

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

Crossing my fingers, but man, has the engine even quieted up and warms up twice as fast.

ME LIKE!

Keep an eye on the fuel consumption if you can. Would certainly not be very intelligent to be penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to this oil, and the sooner we understand the nature of, and mechamism of the quicker warm-ups, the better.

Its pretty much assured that the higher temps are not coming from wear, but it would be interesting to know this oil's specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity in comparison to other products on the market. Maybe once we have some more than anecdotal comments about warm-up properties, someone good with lubrication physics such as Molakule would care to comment.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

ME LIKE!

Keep an eye on the fuel consumption if you can. Would certainly not be very intelligent to be penny wise, pound foolish when it comes to this oil, and the sooner we understand the nature of, and mechamism of the quicker warm-ups, the better.

Its pretty much assured that the higher temps are not coming from wear, but it would be interesting to know this oil's specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity in comparison to other products on the market. Maybe once we have some more than anecdotal comments about warm-up properties, someone good with lubrication physics such as Molakule would care to comment.

I said it warmed up faster as in the engine, not the oil.

I can't help by find a trace of arrogance in your reply.
thumbsdown.gif

I have found that my milage has decreased from approx. 605 km/50L on Mobil 1 5W30 to around 520 km/50L Esso XD-3 0w30 in my Acura RSX Type-S driving 60/40 city/freeway. Indeed the Esso does not have the API Certification for energy conserving so this is not surprising.

I really don't know if this is significant in any way considering that the mobil 1 milage was taken after 10000 km on this oil, and the Esso milage was taken in only its first 520 km. Can anyone comment?

Would it be of any use to mix mobil 1 0w30 with Esso XD-3 0w30 50/50 in my next oil change interval?

Regards,
AJWan

quote:

Originally posted by ajwan:
I have found that my milage has decreased from approx. 605 km/50L on Mobil 1 5W30 to around 520 km/50L Esso XD-3 0w30 in my Acura RSX Type-S driving 60/40 city/freeway.Regards,
AJWan

I don't think the oil accounts for the full 16% decrease in fuel mileage. You have some other factor/factors involved.

Oil can only affect MPG by 1-2% max, and that's with a drastic change in viscosity. There's only a 1.5cst difference between M1 and XD3.

I'll be instaling XD3 in one of my vans in about 3 weeks. It has an average MPG monitor and it has always showed 23.5 miles/ US gallon with M1 and Amsoil. I'll continue to monitor MPG with XD3 but winter is here so mileage is bound to drop. I may have to wait until spring to get a fair comparison.

I put the XD3 OW30 into three vehicles and there was no difference in fuel economy.
This was one month ago while the weather was fairly constant.

I just checked my van and it now reads 22.7MPG(still on M1) Likely the effect of colder temps and the winter gas we get here from November on.

Yip, you are right.

Actually, you are doing very well for an ambient temperature drop of around 15-20c.

I think you have actually gained economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back