ESCO Jack Stand Welds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got these esco jack stands (drop shipped from manufacturer). How do these welds looks to you? They are rated at 6000 lbs each. Thanks

DB63137D-BFA5-4C77-B31E-637774E4112E.jpeg

7DEE655A-69BC-4C0D-B920-7CA4697233F8.jpeg

F2528391-62DE-494B-9686-CD01FC139E38.jpeg

1E0EC036-0A20-461F-AAC2-30A6213A50D3.jpeg

That third picture bugs me a bit. Maybe check with their customer service? Good test of a quality product is how they stand behind it, if they'll replace it for you.

Those bottom rungs "should" just be stiffeners under light load-- yes the legs will want to "split" away from center but they have solid welds up top with lots of contact. Still, I'm not a jack stand engineer, and can't recommend someone go against their better instincts and potentially compromise their safety.

The looks of a weld don't mean a ton. Get it?

Anyway, the majority of the load will be axially, which is dependent on the main and central shafts, those vertical welds, as well as the pin for the height.

The welds you're showing in the latter pictures are mostly for the stabilizing structure.

Originally Posted by LotI
Worse than Harbor Freight 6 ton stands for $35/pr.

[Linked Image]

Not the same weld points and related loads.

Poorly fitted before welding! Tig1 would be the expert here, but the welds look a bit cold to me. In the last pick i can almost see the corner of the leg through the weld. Looks like poor penetration to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Poorly fitted before welding! Tig1 would be the expert here, but the welds look a bit cold to me. In the last pick i can almost see the corner of the leg through the weld. Looks like poor penetration to me.

Those horizontal stablizers are likely only seeing load when the car is tweaked, meaning the car moves from the center-line of the axial position and are there to prevent them from warping under unusual load.

The outer shaft vertical welds, pin and central shaft metal are seeing the vast majority of the load.

//

OP, if you're concerned with those welds, contact their support team and see if they'll send you another set, which may look very similar. If they don't play ball or send you a set that looks identical, then beat the [censored] out of them with a hammer and a piece of wood and see if those support welds break loose.

Is the weld good? It is reasonable. It's the shape of the cut on that bar that makes it impossible to bridge that gap in a production setting.

The thing is, those particular cross-members don't need to have an extra strong weld. As a buyer of something new would I accept it? No, absolutely not but truth be told, they will probably not cause any problems. I'd still return them based on the wrong cut on those bars, not the welds. They need to get the message to not cut corners THAT much, or lol, ironically to start cutting those corners to fit. You should never see a product where they didn't even bother to cut the pieces to fit BEFORE the weld.

Last edited:
Those are supposed to be the best jack stands possible aren't they? Yikes!

Those are quite snazzy if you can look past the welds, but that lack of mitering is quite concerning.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Those bottom rungs "should" just be stiffeners under light load-- yes the legs will want to "split" away from center but they have solid welds up top with lots of contact. Still, I'm not a jack stand engineer, and can't recommend someone go against their better instincts and potentially compromise their safety.

The force that those stiffeners are resisting is:

F=(W/3)*Tanα*Cos30°

Where W is the weight applied to the jack and α is the angle between the leg and the vertical, which judging by the photo appears to be 30°

For a load of 6000 lbs that force is 1000 lbs Which i don't think is a small enough force to be dismissed like many here are suggesting, and I wouldn't trust that weld from the third photo to hold it.

Now, certainly you could make a jack stand without those components or even remove them just for kicks. In that case the force trying to rip apart the leg from the central support, or the force that the welds from the last photo will be resisting is:

F=(W/3)*Tanα

Which for our load of 6000 lbs is 1155 lbs

Are those welds strong enough to resist that kind of force?

Maybe, but even if the stand could work without problems without the cross members, I don't think they should be treated as "aesthetic enhancers" but as an integral part of the design.

In short, yes, those welds are wrong.

Last edited:
Welds on mine are just as bad (Model 10499 ) bought from Amazon three months ago. It will never see anything more than a ton so I am not sending it back. Frankly I do not know what to get anymore...
Photo from company site (it looks like the cross members are cut at an angle at the ends and the welding is more civilized) :

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Pathetic. If they are hiring blind workers for the nice feeling it gives them, ............

Typical Chinese welds. Lots of amps & wire speed feed - and VERY fast gun travel!

Each of those welds takes just 1-2 seconds to do - super hot & super fast.

Very poor welds. Serious under cut on the cross bars. Some pin holes on other welds. In general very poor welding for a product to support weight. I would return these and look for better quality.
49.gif

Undercut, didn't fill in the crater at weld termination, angled tubes to center post were welded with a vertical down progression and have bad enough porosity that the paint doesn't even hide it. I would definitely demand a refund. If whoever produces these for them lets something that poor out the door, I doubt a replacement would look any different. They are probably all just as crappy.

Originally Posted by Rollins
It will never see anything more than a ton so I am not sending it back. Frankly I do not know what to get anymore...
You have to get old ones. I browsed Kijiji for around two years looking for jack stands and I live in Toronto. I had to drive an hour and a half one way to get an old pair of Hein Werners that are too big to use under a car. I passed on a smaller pair of Walkers which was stupid, especially when I saw them in a hot deals thread on the Garage Journal.

Vintage jack stands are harder to get than vintage jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back