Escape Lower control Arms - Dorman or Moog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace lower control arms on an 03 Escape. Dorman or Moog are similar priced with the Moog being a few dollars more. I have no idea where they are made, but any preferences with these two brands??

They both come with bushings and new ball joints installed

Get the Moog Problem Solver series- that's what I did last month and they are absolutely fantastic.

Look for CK in the part number. Very high quality- Made in USA. Best price will be RockAuto.

From experience, Moog might be foreign made. Dorman will be foreign made. Moog should come right into spec at the front end alignment shop. Dorman might have a tougher time getting into the "acceptable" spec. My $.02 worth.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get the Moog Problem Solver series- that's what I did last month and they are absolutely fantastic.

Very high quality- Made in USA. Best price will be RockAuto.

I am selling the vehicle, but need these replaced to pass safety inspection. I may just buy the bushings and press them in, not sure yet. The control arms have to come off either way... I personally think the control arms are fine, but the tech is saying no.

Agree on the problem solvers being a good choice, but not in the budget foe this job...

Originally Posted By: Kruse
From experience, Moog might be foreign made.

The Problem Solver series are made in USA. I can photograph the box label if you don't believe me.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
From experience, Moog might be foreign made.

The Problem Solver series are made in USA. I can photograph the box label if you don't believe me.

Your particular part is made in the USA but they recently started outsourcing some things so it's not 100% made in USA for the entire brand anymore.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Your particular part is made in the USA but they recently started outsourcing some things so it's not 100% made in USA for the entire brand anymore.

I already checked RockAuto's inventory for a 2003 Ford Escape before posting. They have both the R-series and the CK- series. The CK- series will be either USA or Mexico. The R- series will be made in China per Moog's tech line. My CK- series were made in USA.

If whatever is made in China is monitored by the company for quality assurance, then its likely OK. I'd bet Moog would police that better than Dorman, according to reputation.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

I am selling the vehicle, but need these replaced to pass safety inspection. I may just buy the bushings and press them in, not sure yet. The control arms have to come off either way... I personally think the control arms are fine, but the tech is saying no.

Agree on the problem solvers being a good choice, but not in the budget foe this job...

Just do the bushings and be done with it. Dorman is scrap iron and Moog is sketchy, i wouldn't put either in my own car.

If you're selling it, go Dorman and do the alignment in your home garage with lasers or string or whatever.

What's the price spread?

Moog is better, but they wouldn't sell Dorman if they were so awful there were lawsuits.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Just do the bushings and be done with it. Dorman is scrap iron and Moog is sketchy, i wouldn't put either in my own car.

I think this makes sense...can these be done with just a ball joint press while on the vehicle, or does the whole control arm have to come off.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I already checked RockAuto's inventory for a 2003 Ford Escape before posting. They have both the R-series and the CK- series. The CK- series will be either USA or Mexico. The R- series will be made in China per Moog's tech line. My CK- series were made in USA.

K-series Moog parts don't always come from China. When working on a Jeep Liberty, the 2 upper control arms came from the USA, and even had TRW written on them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Remove the control arm, this has a horizontal donut bushing in the front correct?. 2WD?

Its the rear bushing on the front CA..looks like this:

2012_05_12_10_34_55.jpg

That is definitely a failed bushing. When that happened to my Saturn ION, I was able to remove and install new bushings by beating the old ones out and new ones in with a hammer. That might not work with the newer Moog bushings that are more complex than pieces of vulcanized rubber.

Yes pop the arm and press them out. Easy enough and a lot cheaper plus you know the original arm tracks properly. Win Win for you and the guy who buys it.
I'll take my own good refurbed OE arm over an aftermarket any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back