EPA ESTIMATED MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some cars are better at getting their EPA ratings. Small engined lower geared cars do bad since most people drive faster on the freeway then the EPA tests do. Big cars tend to do better. My wife regularly gets 28mpg in her commute with her 98 Lesabre. That's close to the EPA highway figure, and her commute is not all highway.

What's the accuracy of a chassis dyno? Since that's what they're using to gather the data about how much work the engine is doing, their results will only be as accurate as the dyno.

I've seen figures of between 5% to 10% for chassis dynos.

I've never failed in exceeding factory claims of acceleration times from 0-60.
wink.gif

I primarily drive full sized pickups, but I use my RSX when I'm not working. I usually redline several times during my trips, but never get below EPA because of my driving techniques. Primarily lifting far before needed and the afore mentioned hill procedures. It seems to compensate for my heavy foot. I also floor it from a stop and shift at 2300-2500 rpms. This moves me the same rate as traffic and gives the engine it's peak efficiency.

My MB C230 is rated 23/30. I generally see 23-25 in mixed driving, 70% city/30% highway, so if I did nothing but city stop-and-go, I guess I'd be coming in at 22-23.

Highway, though -- While on walkabout from Hurricane Katrina, I ran between College Station and New Orleans several times. Open highway, 60-70 mph most of the way, premium fuel, with one passenger and with the A/C going. I saw between 30 and 32 then. Doing the same run in cooler weather and driving by myself, I'd guess I might get 32-33.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back